Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

GTI-2500 finds some nice Civil War relics

Mark652

I have not posted in a while, but wanted to share my good fortune in a hunt two Saturdays ago, the 18th of October. Much of my detecting is relic detecting. I detect in Northern Virginia and recently gained permission to hunt several private properties that are each about 3 acres, mostly fields and a house on each property, most of the land is grass but relatively untouched from the original farmland that it was during the Civil War. The land is located near a battlefield area, about 3 miles away, but in an area that troops crossed and some may have overnight ed on. It is easy digging when a target is detected. I spent about 8 hours detecting with two friends and we all came away with great finds. I use a GTI-2500 with the 9.5 inch coil that I prefer over the 12 inch even when there is a lot of clear ground to cover. I mostly detect in all-metal mode and listen for the tones and look at the meter. I have added the new Garrett Pin-Pointer to my arsenal and it has proven itself to be a fantastic pin-pinter, the best I have ever used. I have changed my methods because of it. I used to dig a target and spend several minutes removing clumps of dirt, checking, rechecking and digging some more. The new Pin-Pointer has ended all that. Now I dig a few inches of depth and use the Pin-Pointer in the hole and the removed dirt and usually that ends it. The only times the Pin-Pointer has not alerted on the target has been when the target was especially large and was located deeper than expected.

So my finds----Three iron buckles and two rings, one oval and one round. I also found a super saddle bridle shield---unmarked which could mean Confederate, but not definitely---and several smaller period pieces. I've never found a saddle bridle shield, glad to now have done so. In the picture, on the left side, below the saddle shield is a large cent, which cleaned up a lot better than expected and turned out to be 1817, worn, but most of the Liberty is present and the date is clear. Very exciting find! I also found the one bullet casing. My bullet total was 16 bullets! One of my best bullet days. And a very nice variety to boot. I ended up with: 2- 3 ring .54s; 5- .56 Sharps, 4- .54 Burnsides; 4- .52 Spencers and one of these still has part of the cartridge attached to it; and 1- .44 Potter. I also found a new quarter, a penny and two dimes, all recent. All the finds were between 3-6 inches deep.

Garrett makes awesome detectors and I expect to be using mine for many years to come.

Nice finds. I would love to go east and find some CW stuff.

Great relic finds..:thumbup:

Nice finds. :clapping: I found some Spencers in a corn field here in Vermont. They must have been from a gun that a vet brought home from the war.

Grear finds! I miss Georgia for relic hunts, now in Oregon. Fun finding Civil War stuff.

Alan

It seems to get harder and harder with each year, at least up here in the Virginia area. The development continues to plow under or remove the soil with relics and there are just fewer and fewer private properties where you can go detecting. When you find one you try to keep on the owner's good side and detect the heck out of it, as I will be doing with the places I am currently working in. And yet, I keep finding and meeting nice people. I go to front doors, knock, introduce myself and ask for permission. Most of the time the answer is yes and the few no's I get I do not argue, I wish the owner and good day and leave. The yes's far outweigh the no's.

Keep on digging and keep on searching. And remember, "Don't leave it in the ground".