Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

GTI 2500 Interesting Air Testing Observations

lloyd0161

I sold off my older GTI 2500 with treasure talk and bought a used 2015 GTI 2500 with almost no use on it. I am very pleased with this purchase and have been air testing it in the front yard with various combinations of coins, jewelry, and iron objects with the 9-1/2 PROformance Imaging coil. The settings were sensitivity at 9 and using search with image, belltone, bi-level tone, and "zero" discriminate mode, to hear the iron grunts. Items were placed on flat ground clear of any buried metals. I have made the following observations which were quite interesting and also have given me some confidence in this unit for finding certain items.

1. Placing a silver Washington quarter 1" away from a common 12D sinker nail centered on the long dimension of the nail: The GTI will bong on this coin from any angle and up to roughly 10" to 12" above the coin. The response was loud and clear all the way out to where the signal dropped off abruptly. Contrary to some of the older videos on youtube, this newer GTI does not have a slow recovery speed at all and I could literally whip this coil very fast and still get a positive response on this quarter with accurate target ID and accurate imaging depth to 6"-8". It appears to completely ignore the nail. Farther than 8" had inconstant imaging results with the quarter being indicated as a much larger object at 10". Maybe the imaging was influenced by the nail. The quarter ID'd correctly as quarter out to a full 10". The pinpoint also ignored the nail and favored the coin dead center. Very cool!!!

2. Trying the same test with a large men's .925 silver and 14kt gold rings produced the same results with correct ID's. The gold ring ID's in the nickel range but locked on to solid and consistent ID.

3. Trying the same test with a mercury dime resulted in no detection of the dime except for an occasional chirp. The larger iron object overshadowed the small dime sized object and the detector indicated a larger iron sized object correctly but nothing to do with the dime.

4. Placing a 3mm 14kt gold braided ladies bracelet on the ground with no nails: GTI is impressive on gold chains. In "zero" discriminate mode it accurately picked up and ID'd this chain loud and clear at a solid 4" and slightly out to 5". The ID was below nickel in the foil range as would be expected. This was actually about the same as my Fisher Gold Bug Pro could do. In all metal I could pick up the chain out to 6" or so but the ID drops out any further out.

5. The same gold chain test including the 16D nail an inch away completely masked the chain.

6. The 16D nail by itself is rather strange. When sweeping along the length of the nail the center of the nail is silent with an iron signal only at the ends of the nail. When sweeping perpendicular to the long dimension, the nail is detected with an iron signal. Depth and size were accurate out to 6"-8".

7. Small ladies 14kt gold hoop earring: Easily found in discriminate but shallower than the chain, maybe 3 inches depth at the most. ID was just above iron in the lower foil range. This is still very impressive and challenges the Gold Bug Pro in discriminate mode. In all metal it finds this earring maybe out to 4 or so inches but the response is a very very faint whisper.

Conclusions: The GTI does very well on larger targets in the quarter size and up mixed in with nails. However I did not surround the coin with nails which may have masked the coin. I will try this next time. The GTI will do well on smaller micro jewelry and chains as long as any iron is smaller than the target. If I were using this on our fresh water beaches I would search in all metal and dig every signal in order not to miss any chains and other smaller gold.

I wish I had the 5x10 scorcher or 5x8 DD to see how these do on separation. I'll bet they are really good on this newer GTI. I will be looking to purchase one of these coils in the near future.

I'm guessing the elliptical "prospecting" coils like the 5 x 10 or the 5 x 8 DD coils will be similar to the Gold Bug Pro performance on close proximity objects and separation and also on finding micro jewlery in the iron. Will be interesting to find out. Now if Garrett could produce an imaging detector using the DD coil technology they would really have a cool product.

The nail used was a common 12D; not 16D as stated in some of the tests.

The GTI is an excellent machine. Those who learned how to use it properly did very well! Sounds like you had it figured out a while back. Thanks for posting your observations.

John-Edmonton said:
The GTI is an excellent machine. Those who learned how to use it properly did very well! Sounds like you had it figured out a while back. Thanks for posting your observations.

That token looks encrusted in something? What is it made of?

What kind of depth can I expect from the sniper coil? Have you ever tried the 5 x 10 elliptical? Comparable to other detectors with DD coils on separation? I am looking at a used sniper coil (in black color though) on ebay.

That little sniper coil will surprise you. I get an easy 6 inches on coins.....better depth in true all metal mode. I used to stick that coil under bushes or thick undergrowth, where other coils just wouldn't fit. I never tried the 5 x 10 coil, although from seeing other people's posts. they were quite impressed with it's separation abilities and good depth.

Thanks John!!!

I have also found the GTI 2500 to be a killer on gold and is my goto detector on chains. Most other detectors will only see small gold chains at about an inch if at all. The true all metal mode is especially impressive if you understand how to use it. I've found coins on a fresh water beach I hunt frequently in the all metal mode at 12-14 ". This beach is very clean cause I hunt there often and dig everything. (This beach tends to be very frustrating to new detectorists and make them wonder if their detector is working :twodetecting:)
The 2500 is a very underated detector.
I also like the fact it is very easy to learn on. I recently took a friend on his first hunt ever and gave him the 2500 to use. After about a 10 min. lesson he was up and running and he actually found more than I did. Definitely beginners luck but it is what it was. The 2500 was my first detector and I was able to learn how to use it without any external help besides reading the manual and asking questions on forums.
I found my first gold ring with the 2500 very soon after I started metal detecting, and I was hooked! I think if I had tried this hobby with a detector that was a little more complicated I might not have stuck with it due to frustration. A very accurate detector that was easy to learn and finds a lot of good targets!

I found a used sniper coil on ebay for $68. It is on its way:) Of all the detectors I have owned I really feel this is the most enjoyable to use. Can't explain it but I just like it. It really comes in handy for identifying small shallow targets vs deep targets. Most of the time it is correct. Sometimes it is wrong. But this is true with all detectors. The detector just feels solid. Not as prone to EMI as most of my other detectors. I like the hard rubber handle vs the foam handles of most others. It is built like a tank. Came with a nice carry bag. Just hope the zipper holds up.