Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

GTI 2500 "mineral chip upgrade"

Druid

Hi All,

I used to have a GTI 2500, original treasure talk late 1990's version with the white scorcher coil which had problems with the ground a lot of my hunting sites.
My question is, has anyone had an older GTI 2500 that overloaded on some types of ground, (i.e.: gave the machine gun overload signal), that went in for the new chip and then worked in those hot soil sites after the change?
I am in lower mainland Vancouver area of B.C. Canada so if anyone who is using the GTI locally, or in Washington US could comment that would be great.
Would really like to try another GTI cause the imaging is great but don't want to pay $$$ only to find it won't handle my ground, if the new chip has fixed the problem I'm in.

Thanks,

Drew.

Druid, I did get the upgrade and also during the upgrade I changed to a different coil. Since they match the detector to the coil with the upgrade. I did lose the treasure talk but never used it anyhow just when I turned it on. Big difference and I am here in highly mineralized soil in California. It is worth the upgrade.

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the reply!
B.C. like California was a gold rush locale, in fact the "49'ers" migrated here in 1858 "en masse" and as such it has some interesting soil in the matrix.
Were you experiencing the full on overload staccato audio blast with the imaging coil?
My unit was overwhelmed unless I switched to the elliptical DD coil which lost me the imaging feature.
Curious if you went from O/L to being able to hunt those sites with the stock 9.5" coil if you were.
Incidentally, I must be the only guy who used "Treasure Talk" from what I read on the forums.

Drew

I can use all coils. One thing though the double D coil does help allot. If you need the upgrade it is a very small price to pay at the factory. Worth the money that is for sure. Now I can use multiple coils. I do prefer the DD when prospecting though. It handles the soil better.

I had the mineral chip installed in my GTI 2500 last spring. Garrett installed the mineral chip and calibrated the machine without any effect on the treasure talk, I verified that with Garrett after I realized the my treasure talk was still working and my service slip shows the mineral chip was installed. Sue informed me they do and can install the mineral chip without any effect on the treasure talk. I rarely use it, I mostly just pinpoint and dig.

BCOOP

Hi Drew:

I bought my 2500 new a couple of years ago. I run it with the standard 9.5", 12", and a DD coil, all without any problems in the Fraser Valley area. I've also used it around the Gulf Islands on holidays including the salt water beach, without any issues.

When you send your GTI-2500 in for the mineral chip upgrade, do you need to send all your coils? I keep reading that they match the chip to the coils and I'm confused about this. I feel like I'm in the right church, but setting on the wrong pew...

Thanks Steve,

that was what I was looking for.
My old GTI was great in mild turf, but is say you tried to hunt from the grass onto an "all Weather" gravel type field it sounded like a machine gun unless using the DD coil.
If it can hunt all our soil I will look for a deal on one again.
PM me if you want to go hunt sometime.

Drew.