Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

GTI 2500 vs other detectors

Justin E

I'm wondering how everyone would rank the GTI 2500 against a AT Pro and a Teknetics T2 for hunting in East Tennessee. Right now, those are the 3 I am really torn between. I mainly do relic hunting but might do a little jewelry and coin hunting from time to time. Thank you!

Well, they're all really great machines and you can't go wrong with either one. I used the T2 for a while when it first came out. It's very lightweight and ergonomical. Great depth and handles hot ground well. Kinda flemsy, though and really felt like a toy in my hands which is the main reason why I quit using it.
Now, the Garretts are built like tanks compared to the Teks.
I used the 2500 for over ten years and it was my main go to detector for most of that time. It has alot more bells and whistles than the T2. More notching options and stuff. Alot more search coil options to choose from. The imaging feature is pretty cool, but I never really used it that much after my first couple of years using the detector. You loose a couple inches in depth with the imaging feature. Anyways, I like the double "D" Search coils better. You can even use that Treasure Hound two box depth multiplier on it and look for larger metal items several feet in depth.
Here lately, I've been using the AT Pro mostly. It's really built like a tank. Plus its awesome that you can use it underwater. It has the best iron discrimination of any metal detector that I've ever used.

I guess if I had to recommend one above all, it would be the AT Pro. However, if you ask this question on the Tek forum I'm sure everyone would say get the T2.:biggrin:

They're all great machines, but I'd say go Pro.:wiggle:
Happy Hunting!:)

The AT Pro is lighter than the GTI 2500, you can swing it for hours.

I used to own a GTI 2500 15 years ago. Found my oldest coin a 1905-O Barber Dime with it. Didn't think a thing of the weight, I had strength then. I'm 66 now, less strength, I suppose.

I owned an ACE 250 for a year. Got spoiled over the weight, ease of swing, simplicity of use. Found hundreds of coins.

Now have an AT Pro with the 5X8 DD Coil. Seems as light as the ACE 250, easy to swing. You trade an "image" from the GTI 2500 for detailed sound on the AT Pro.

The GTI 2500 offers easy to read size information. The AT Pro has great sound and ID information, but no size info. You get an idea of size by pinpointing with the AT Pro.

AT Pro is waterproof. The AT Pro takes me a little longer to set up because of the waterproof "one way" connectors for the coil and headphone.

You got to get them "just right" to slip in with the o-ring and offset connector. The cam lock shaft on the AT Pro takes a little longer to attach, but is very stable.

One thing I'd for sure do regardless of which detector you choose. Buy a Garrett Pro Pointer!!! This single item will compliment any detector and make it so easy to recover targets.

I'd get both the AT Pro and the GTI 2500 and try each of them out. You can always sell one or just keep them both! They are both easy to sell and both are in demand.

I've traded with Texas Premium for years. Stick with Garrett and enjoy!

The GTI 2500 meets and sometimes beats the AT Pro, And The AT Pro meets and beats the GTI 2500. Perhaps you need to see what type of targets you prefer to hunt and look at their conductivity. If you just want pure raw depth that will beat all your mentioned machines, consider the Garrett Infinium. It is also water Proof along with the AT Pro. You may also want to go back on the Garrett Forums and observe which and how many targets have been found.

Good luck with whatever machine you use.:thumbup:

On the chart, would you say they were set up about the same? Would the GTI be in all metal or discriminate mode?

They were all basically set up the same....with as much sensitivity as possible. The AT Series could only be set up with a sensitivity set at 7 out of 8 bars. The GTI 2500 was set up in true all metal mode, much deeper then motion discriminate. The GTI 2500 in true all metal mode still gives you a probable target id.

Any other questions.....just fire away. :)

John are you saying that the AT PRO goes deeper than the GTI2500 when it is in deep seeking all metal mode, or in non discrimination mode...

The AT PRO goes deeper than the GTI 2500 when the GTI 2500 is in discriminate mode, The GTI 2500 in true all metal mode beat the AT Pro on a silver dime and musket ball.