Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

GTP 1350 makes a point

dahut

AS long as Ive been detecting, Ive been convinced that equipment is important. Good gear helps you get better results. I've tried instruments at every price point and cost isn't the only answer. But detecting is at it's best with good gear.

Today I hauled out the GTP 1350 for a spin trough the yard. You'll recall that I hunted this yard already, with another brand of top detector. So I wasnt expecting miracles.
Actually, I had the Garrett out because I have been planning to sell it, so as to buy a AT-Pro. I was looking it over and making sure all was in order.

Well the darned thing surprised me. There was one segment of the yard that I got nowhere with yesterday, as it had a bunch of small iron bits scattered everywhere. This area was pretty much impossible to hunt yesterday, making my XXXXX brand detector go bonkers.

Something I learned along time ago with the 1350 is that if it is popping and acting squirrely, switch to ZERO discrimination. All the iron comes through clearly and you now know what has caused your detector to go nuts. Even with this going on, it was really only noisy.
Then right in the middle of the trash, I got some coin signals. They were hard to pick out and I had to focus on them, but they were there. SO I dug a few and popped some cents and dimes out. I wasn't really getting anything but chatter and crackles with the other unit.

This does not mean the other unit is crap - it is not, I have confidence in it and it has proven itself many times. But in THIS place it wasn't working - the Garrett was.

SO now, I'm like, "Do I sell it - or keep it!?" Danged, I hate it when that happens. :clapping:

That's a tough one David. Giving up a detector with sizing abilities is a tough choice. What you gain with the AT Pro is audio discrimination and depth at an excellent price.Decisions Decisions Decisions:shrug:

John-Edmonton said:
That's a tough one David. Giving up a detector with sizing abilities is a tough choice. What you gain with the AT Pro is audio discrimination and depth at an excellent price.Decisions Decisions Decisions:shrug:
And lets not forget the ability to go swimming at will, while bringing iron ID and tones with you.

Don't it tease ya! I've often been real curious about the 1350. I'm not aware of any shop that I can walk in to check one out in the flesh. If I ever did, I'd have to part with my 1500 as I'd have too many detectors.
The AT Pro is a neat looking detector. I've played around with an AT Pro once and an AT Pro International once. Not too sure how talkative the tones on the AT are. Didn't get much info out of them in the brief encounters I had with them, but it would make a good replacement for the Ace. The tones on the GTI give you the info you need and I'm sure that the 1350 would be similar. I love the elliptical concentric coils that Garrett put on their detectors. They are my favourite coils of any make of detector that I've ever used.
Good luck with your choice. You can choose to be indecisive if you like and have both of them.:poke:
Mick Evans.

Mick in Dubbo said:
Don't it tease ya! I've often been real curious about the 1350. I'm not aware of any shop that I can walk in to check one out in the flesh. If I ever did, I'd have to part with my 1500 as I'd have too many detectors.
The AT Pro is a neat looking detector. I've played around with an AT Pro once and an AT Pro International once. Not too sure how talkative the tones on the AT are. Didn't get much info out of them in the brief encounters I had with them, but it would make a good replacement for the Ace. The tones on the GTI give you the info you need and I'm sure that the 1350 would be similar. I love the elliptical concentric coils that Garrett put on their detectors. They are my favourite coils of any make of detector that I've ever used.
Good luck with your choice. You can choose to be indecisive if you like and have both of them.:poke:
Mick Evans.
I had thought of that, Mick. Of course.
Like you, it would be too many. I have gotten "back on the horse" as you put it. But I dont see it being a consuming thing, like it used to be. I believe those days may be behind me.
An arm load of detectors just wont be needed, nor will they get used. I like the AT-Pro because for the simple fact that it can be used in water and on the land. That is HUGE, in my estimation.
And Iike to have a couple different brands because each has it's strong points.

But it is darned hard to turn loose of that GTP.... I've been putting it off the sale of ot for some time now.

Don't forget about visual discrimination is excellent also. Plus you have Pro Mode and Standard Mode to help make decisions on whether to dig. I have dug more nickles with the AT-Pro then with any other machine I have used, by checking the visual discrimination.

That's why I have so many too!! Just when I think I'll let go of one, I'll give it what I think will be one last spin and it will give me a nice treasure to try and prove it's worthiness to remain in the arsenal. I'm pretty sure they have some kind of Artificial Intelligence!!

Yeah, that GTP1350 is a great machine.:thumbup: I've never owned one, but I still swing around my old GTAx1250 from time to time, which is the exact same machine minus the profiling capabilities.
When I do use the GTAx1250, I usually always switch back and forth between Jewelry Mode and All Metal Mode using the "Last Mode" button. It is nice to be able to hear the iron sometimes, so that you can pick out the good signals mixed in between it all.:detecting:
FYI, those Excellerator search coils that are made for the Ace series work great on GTP1350/GTAx1250. I use the 10"x14"DD and 8"x6"SEF on mine.:wiggle: Lightweight, deep and great target seperation.

Now, if I absolutely HAD to decide between the AT Pro or the GTAx1250, I would have to choose the AT Pro. However, I keep the 1250 for a nice back up, just in case.
Yeah, the GTP 1350 has profiling, but IMHO profiling/imaging is not the "end all, be all". It is nice to have sometimes, but I don't even use the imaging on my GTI 2500 ,cause I prefer DD search coils which don't offer imaging.:rolleyes:

Best of luck to ya, whichever machine you decide to get or keep! Have fun!:biggrin: Happy Hunting!:)

I had mine for a little over two years and found some items that were quite amazing and cleaned up after some of the top brands - so i have also been toying
with the ideal of the AT being waterproof and half my hunts at at the beach here it would be a good fit also for gold prospecting the AT would be great
the 1350 Frequency -7.2 kHz, user-adjustable and the AT Frequency - 15 kHz
I have found small gold nuggets with the 1350 down to 2 grams - so it a hard decision
Ill keep thinking about it

Happy Hunting

Bob

metalhead said:
Yeah, that GTP1350 is a great machine.:thumbup: I've never owned one, but I still swing around my old GTAx1250 from time to time, which is the exact same machine minus the profiling capabilities.
When I do use the GTAx1250, I usually always switch back and forth between Jewelry Mode and All Metal Mode using the "Last Mode" button. It is nice to be able to hear the iron sometimes, so that you can pick out the good signals mixed in between it all.:detecting:
FYI, those Excellerator search coils that are made for the Ace series work great on GTP1350/GTAx1250. I use the 10"x14"DD and 8"x6"SEF on mine.:wiggle: Lightweight, deep and great target seperation.

Now, if I absolutely HAD to decide between the AT Pro or the GTAx1250, I would have to choose the AT Pro. However, I keep the 1250 for a nice back up, just in case.
Yeah, the GTP 1350 has profiling, but IMHO profiling/imaging is not the "end all, be all". It is nice to have sometimes, but I don't even use the imaging on my GTI 2500 ,cause I prefer DD search coils which don't offer imaging.:rolleyes:

Best of luck to ya, whichever machine you decide to get or keep! Have fun!:biggrin: Happy Hunting!:)
I like the profiling feature, too. It is only an inaccurate measure, but it does give some more information to work with.
Then again, after working with the F70, I have come to appreciate a numerical VDI. It gives the same information as the GT display does with it's ID blocks, of course. But well, I like the numbers.
I'lIl probably stick to my plans to sell it... I hope. Although I could just sell the Tiger Shark, since the AT-Pro is waterproof and KEEP the 1350.... Dang! There I go again.

I know the mental struggle, Dahut. I'm trying to figure out what to do with my other detectors. I'd like to get down to 2, the AT Pro and I'd like to have a GTI 1500. I've got a 2000 that just died. I could pay 350 to completely gut it and turn it into a "new" 2500, but the 2xxx series GTIs are pretty bulky machines. Or I could just repair it and sell it. Or I could sell it broken so someone else can pay to upgrade it to a 2500. Then I have my GTA 500, a good basic machine, and then there's the almost new GTAx 550 I have, a great solid detector. *sigh*.

Would be great if we could have a huge meet-n-swap.. everyone brings all their stuff and then we can wheel and deal until we end up with what we want.

- Muddyshoes.

rich55 said:
what about giving up brand xxxx and keeping both Garrett's just a thought
That thought had crossed my mind, too. What I want is something that is good in the water. The Fisher F70 (the brand XXXX detector) is a keeper, and, well... we already know how I feel about the GTP 1350.

I currently have a Tiger Shark for water use. However, it has no tones for iron ID. That would be a boon, a real strong selling point and guess what - the AT-Pro has them.
The Tesoro is a good unit, mind you - built like a tank. It is also kind of bulky everywhere EXCEPT in the water... on land, it is built like a tank. Did I mention that part?

So I think I've been going at this all wrong. Anybody want to buy a Tesoro Tiger Shark, in immaculate condition?

Dave, How are you doing? still racking your brain about the 1350? I have a few questions for you if you would please answer them for me? First, I'm still trying to get enough funds for the AT Pro,
You have a GTP 1350, Do you like the machine for coin shooting? I am currently thinking about what I think is an upgrade. Getting rid of my GTA 500,GTA 1000 and GTA 1000 PM. would I gain any
benefits with the 1350? I like the style of these machines. I have thought about the GTI 1500 and 2500, but trying to keep cost down. Ebay has a GTP 1350 with two coils for $365, free ship" not a
bad deal? If you were to sell yours, what would you need for It? I'm having that " I will find more with a newer machine" syndrome.....Any information you can provide would be helpful. thanks and HH

codydog50 said:
You have a GTP 1350, Do you like the machine for coin shooting?
Yes. That is it's best use, IMHO. It was designed for it, in fact. I find the separation and tomes to be it's best feature. I have pulled coins from in the middle of trash just by the tones.

I am currently thinking about what I think is an upgrade. Getting rid of my GTA 500,GTA 1000 and GTA 1000 PM. would I gain any benefits with the 1350?
The main gain is the "Profiling" feature. This feature is based on sweep speed, and it allows the detector to get a reading on the size of the target. It has three ranges - COIN size, MID size - and LARGE size. It is quite accurate on coin sized targets, in my experience.
If you have used the GTA 1000 PM, you will find the GTP 1350 similar. It will also use all the same coils as the other GTA's - the Crossfire II's.
With a gazillion of them out there, they are plentiful and not expensive.

Ebay has a GTP 1350 with two coils for $365, free ship" not a bad deal?
A good deal. The large coil offered with that one would be great for large fields, woods and open sand beaches.

If you were to sell yours, what would you need for It?
Mine has the 4.5" sniper and my stock coil is in far better shape than the one on ebay you refer to. it looks like it was whacked into rocks somewhere.
I applied a thin layer of bed liner to mine, actually. This has no effect on operation, but it prevents damage like that one has, and doesn't trap dirt like the plastic ones.

I'm having that, "I will find more with a newer machine" syndrome..
Will you find more with a new instrument? Well... maybe. What you find is directly tied to where you take your detector, as you likely know. The 1350 will give you something none of your other detectors can - accurate sizing. It is also hot on nickle range targets, spots foil a mile off, has good target separation and is very sensitive.
One more thing - The GTP 1350 is more similar to the others you mentioned, than different. The transition will be easier.

As for what I need to get for it, well - we dont want to get into trouble with that in open forum. :thumbup:

Thank you for the info! I am sorry about the question about pricing! being somewhat new to this Forum, I realized after placing the post, that this was not the forum to be asking such a question!
This forum offers such a wide variety of information that I would hate to mess things up! My apologies to all the folks on this site! C-Dog