Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

guess I'm really a b/h fan

scotrod

as of this year iv been using my land star wish the 4"coil over my tracker and cant be live how much i enjoy it i found two gold ring with it and pawned them bought a water / land machine a fisher 1280x which received Tuesday thought id be excited to take it out but all i really want to hunt with is the land star talk about mixed emotions!!!

Yeah! I hear you there Scottrod...a fellow gets good with one machine, and its really hard to put it down and get in the water...though I will say this, you go and look at the beach hunters thread, and by golly they find some gold...anyway, I got a water machine this year mayself, got two big gold rings out of the water, and two small gold rings hunting the dirt with my go-to unit..so a guy can do both..but I really do like the dirt better! Good Luck!
Mud

My go-to machine has always been my "ancient" early model Time Ranger. Even the new version of it has a tough time winning me over. I know how it acts and anytime I get an "iffy" signal on a different machine, I'm wanting to grab the ol' TR to see what IT sez...

That said, I also have a Landstar and it is just as capable on small and/or deep signals. It has a more "analog" mindset with it's old-school twisty knobs instead of the incremental action of "digital" buttons. You can tweak the knob settings to exactly where it works best, while a digital button press might land you on either side of the exact "mark" you're aiming for. Granted, the digital version is more precise and repeatable every time, but a hands-on-the-knob approach is where it all began for detectors and there's absolutely nothing wrong with having that "feel" of being in control.

If you happen to own an older Landstar, you might also have ID in the all-metal no-motion mode, that's another big plus in my book. That's why I like my old Time Ranger versus the newer version, since the old-style version has full target ID in all modes. Digital adjustments are exact and easily repeatable if nothing else, and I do enjoy the quick press of a couple buttons to get it set up right where I like it. I guess it comes down to how small the minimum adjustment increment is in digital mode, to allow the user to fine-tune it about as close as the teensy tweek of an analog knob might do.

Using the Landstar was an easy transition for me from my Time Ranger, and I can easily move those knobs by just a touch on the fly while I hunt. The Landstar's manual ground balance is a big plus for it. By comparison, the GB process on the TIme Ranger is a bit more time-consuming and there's really no "tweaking" of it allowed afterwards, except by maybe expertly choosing which patch of ground to balance it to. You can press Smart-Trac on either model in no-motion for a quick GB fix, but the Landstar lets you just slip the knob a little either way to your own preference or changing conditions.

I can see a use for both the Landstar's analog and the Time Ranger's digital methods, so that's why they're both keepers in my book! Put another way, I've never been disappointed with any of the Bounty Hunter models I've tried. They all have their own "flavor" of that same formula that's been proven over the years and copied in some fashion by about all the other manufacturers.

-Ed

Most of the BH lineup had its origin with George Payne during the 1980's. I've updated some of his designs since I came aboard in this century, but my de novo designs haven't replaced George's platforms for the simple reason that his were so good to begin with. The "Payne Circuit" became the basis of the Fisher F2 and F4. I betcha he never dreamed his designs would bear the Fisher trademark!.

The BH line doesn't pretend to compete with the over-$1,000 market. But we dominate the under-$400 mass market against even Chinese competitors for the simple reason that we offer more value for the money and the manufacturer not only offers a guarantee, we even have a USA address where the buck stops. Bite that, Alibaba!

--Dave J.