Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Had A Strange Dig

RLOH

I got out to my favorite park Wed. and had a rare type of dig. I got the perfect 12-13 nickel signal on the 800 Nox. When I stuck my Lesche digger in the ground to start digging, it sort of cut with no resistance. In short order, I figured out that I was following the outline of someone's previous plug. It must have been dug last fall because even knowing it was there, it was barely visable. It was not my plug because it was much larger and different shaped than my plugs. It turned out to be a no date buffalo nickel that was an inch off to the side. Someone got close, but no cigar for them.

Speaking of plugs. I dig a three sided perfectly square plug that is about 5 inches a side. Why do I do this? The plug is my "signature" and I can immediately tell if it was me doing the digging, good or bad. I guess some might call this "anal", but I can tell if someone new is detecting my territory.

I got out to my favorite park Wed. and had a rare type of dig. I got the perfect 12-13 nickel signal on the 800 Nox. When I stuck my Lesche digger in the ground to start digging, it sort of cut with no resistance. In short order, I figured out that I was following the outline of someone's previous plug. It must have been dug last fall because even knowing it was there, it was barely visable. It was not my plug because it was much larger and different shaped than my plugs. It turned out to be a no date buffalo nickel that was an inch off to the side. Someone got close, but no cigar for them.

Speaking of plugs. I dig a three sided perfectly square plug that is about 5 inches a side. Why do I do this? The plug is my "signature" and I can immediately tell if it was me doing the digging, good or bad. I guess some might call this "anal", but I can tell if someone new is detecting my territory.
It could likely be that the previous guy found a target, retrieved it, and didn't check for any others. Always pays to re-scan the hole (and plug), but newbies might not think of this.

BTW, regards to your signature plug, I am trying to picture it, but I keep getting hung up on the 3 sided square. I've never seen a 3 sided square. Can you post a pic?

I do the same type technique when on better lawns, cut three sides and fold the fourth side over.....fill back in and flip the top back in. Much neater plug and nearly impossible to see.

I do the same type technique when on better lawns, cut three sides and fold the fourth side over.....fill back in and flip the top back in. Much neater plug and nearly impossible to see.
OK, regarding my reply to RLOH... duh! The light just went on... of course, cut 3 sides and hinge on the 4th. Of course.
I need another cup of coffee.

But I like the way you think! Three sided square...... made my morning!

I prefer digging square plugs myself. 3 sides and lift so one side stays put with roots and everything. I used to do horse shoe or round but I stopped that when I saw a guy do perfect squares on youtube. Nice find by the way ! You must have chuckled when you got that nickel and thought the poor sod that came before you was so close.

Nice job on the recovery!!
I like the way you go about digging your plugs and the reasoning behind it..

At a local park i found two plugs that someone had dug that were about 8 inches in diameter. Both of those plugs had targets in the center of them. I wondered why someone had cut a plug and left the quarter in them. Both of the quarters that were in the plugs were well below the grass roots.

always swing over someone elses plugs... a few years ago I got a slamming 12-48 on my E-trac in a park, bent down and started to cut when I notices it was partially cut... I pulled a silver canadian Victoria quarter mixed in the already disturbed dirt at only 2"... maybe we should keep this pinpointer thing to ourselves.