Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

HALF CENT

Maxwedge

I: went to the homesite where I found the 2 and a half dollar gold coin the other day. Got a 177 signal loud and dug it up. About 3 inches i dug up a coin the size of a nickel.It was brownish color instead of black, so I knew it wasn't silver. I hadl no idea what it was, but it was thin, and I hoped it was not an old foreign coin.. l came home when I got through hunting without finding anything else of value. That's the way it has been at this place. Very few coins and only 3 copper memorials and an older clad quarter.Lots of trash, but the GT keeps finding signals, even though most are junk or brass, etc, Every weird noise the GT makes, I realize that's another target I haven't heard before. Anyway, I went to my coin book and matched the size of the coin in the book and I'm sure it's a half cent. Put a microscope on it at work, but nothing. I'm shocked at finding something this old there, but am really happy finding it. I just wish I knew what date it was. These coins were made from 1793 until 1857. HH-Mark

Nice find any photos available ? Jim

Thanks guys. Jim, I'll see if I can get a photo in a few days when I'm off at night. It's just a dark slick coin. HH-Mark

about 30% of the coppers i dig are slickers too..... if there is no detail showing and the coin is reativly worthless i clean it with muriatic acid...dip acid brush in muriatic acid ,brush one side of the coin at a time until it turns white.... then rinse under fresh water , then ever so gently rub the face of the coin with your finger-i wear a jewelers loop while doing this step.... lf there is any detail at all left on the coin you will see a contrast between the white residue and the lettering.... WEAR EYE PROTECTION.. dont use this method if you believe the coin has any value....

That's interesting information. I'll keep that in mind and maybe try that method someday. Thanks sir. HH-Mark

One of the things I've been using recently is a non-corrosive soap that attacks the dirt, including lime, but doesn't touch the metal in terms of being acidic toward it. It's not Lime-Away, but it does clean off the lime on coins as well. I found a tax token and used this - it got rid of almost all of the crud and lime on the token. I use it diluted and warm as it works a little quicker when warmer. On some things it has taken several days to clean something up, but as long as the chemistry is working, then I let it sit; swirling it once a day or so. I've also cleaned some heavily crusted up wheaties this way. I haven't used muriatic acid, but I have a bunch - I'm afraid of pitting the coin at some point I think.

You got a $2.50 gold piece the other day?! I must have missed that post? Wow, great find. Still waiting for my first gold coin. Got a story if you didn't already post it? What VD#, how deep, and why did you decide to dig it?

The half cent is also a killer find. VDI #177? That jives with the charts that show 177 for it as well. Great find there! Still waiting for my first on one of those two. Seems the half cent, 2 cent piece, and shield nickels continue to elude me for some reason, although in the case of the shield nickels I've dug tons of buffalos, Vs, and war nickels. Also looking for my first half dime. Years ago when I first started detecting I did dig one which I think was Canadian, but I've since no longer have the coin and can't remember exactly if that was the case with it, since I wasn't very familiar with old coins back then. Really wish I would have kept that coin as I even forget the date it was.

EDIT: I just google searched for Canadian half dimes and don't remember it looking like that. Come to think of it now, it might have been an American half dime, which really angers me even more that I don't have that coin anymore. Wish I would have at least recorded the date/type because as we all know memory fades. Got one friend that I think took pictures years ago, so maybe he can remember what kind of half dime it was and the year.

Anyway, great finds there you made!