Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Halo Effect

I have been hunting a schoolyard with a friend who uses a DFX. i use the MXT. we have both noticed a one to two number increase in some targets. for example a 83 is a clad quarter. an 84-86 is silver. a 79 is usually a clad dime, an 80 -81 is a silver dime etc, but we are seeing a one -two point increase numerical readout and the coins are not the silver they usually are in that range, but rusty orange clad. the soil is atrocious. it is highly mineralized and red clay mixed. lot of hot rocks. the minerals in prospector mode come up 75-85% and its hard to balance due to the hot rocks. turning down the sensitivity seems to help. a iron nail will leave a nasty spot of rust and ring up as good targets even when i use a non digital non metered other brand machine i am well versed with and is good in iron. the rusty stuff makes a bigger target. when we tumble the clad just for the bank tellers sake really, it still stays stained bad.

anyone have any tricks they use on the MXT for this problem. we have done good but there is more there we know. there are some underground pipes and canslaw from modern times, and zinc roofing nails from a shoddy job all near the building. we have 5.3's 6x10 and 950's so not buying another coil. just seeking a way to glean more. i use coin and jewelry and some relic mode. he uses custom and factory presets, and has Jimmy Sierras books.

how would you hunt it?

Hi dixiedigger57,
have you tried to lock auto-trac?

Now when I had this problems happen in the past the following helped a lot...:
Using the Eclipse 6x10 DD (best White's coil ever to me).
Relic Mode - trigger in center position (two tone ID).
Disc to a level of need.
Trac to ground position - balancing over a clean spot - then Trac to "Lock" position (center) and searching can be done with less to no falsing.

For searching a clean spot I use the pinpoint mode.

If in the area is really no clean spot to find at all, I use to "Lock" the Trac BEFORE switching on the MXT. This is not the best balance one can get, but it helps. And if the threshold will annoy, it is turned back to a silent level.

All the best and happy hunting.

Many times when using a different coil vs. the stock coil, the VDI numbers will be off by 2. My BigFoot coil is that way also. When I have my stock coil, the VDI is right on the money.

I would give auto track a try also.

been off forum some, computer problems and work overload. weather has not helped hunting when i am off, rain!!!!!!!!!!!! cold and wind!!!!!!!! the ground changes drastically due to the construction and red dirt vs black dirt. thanks