Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Hand grip replacement?

Habanero

Okay, I have seen it before and Tabman actually threw up a pick of his Golden with a new hand grip installed so now I want one. Question is, where do I get it? I have by no means wore mine out or even done much but dirty it up a bit, but I kind of dislike the "wimpy foam hand grips" as I have seen Monte quote them and want something a little better on there. I looked in the bicycle section of Walmart twice now and all I find are the rubber grips. Any suggestions on the plush black foam grips such as used by Tabman and perhaps others here? Much obliged.

You can try online from amazon or keep checking bicycle shops for foam handgrips.
Problem is that they sell fast to kids putting them on scooters i am told.

Thanks Jim, I had been researching the online options and that may be the way to go. Just wanted to put my hands on some to see how they felt in person so it may be off to the bicycle shop. I saw a video of a gentleman in Holland who put a leather grip on his Tejon. Very attractive grip for sure but not sure how "grippy" it would feel in a sweaty, dirty hand in the heat of summer; gloves not counted into the equation of course.

What i did was went to a TSC store and got some vet wrap,comes in a wide range of colors,it sticks to itself.Did the upper rod and grip in a woodland camo,looks pretty darn good to me and when it gets to crappy looking just take the old off and put new on.You can wrap the grip as many times as you want to get your desired thickness,i wrapped the grip pretty heavily because i like a fatter grip seems more comfortable to me.

richbat said:
What i did was went to a TSC store and got some vet wrap,comes in a wide range of colors,it sticks to itself.Did the upper rod and grip in a woodland camo,looks pretty darn good to me and when it gets to crappy looking just take the old off and put new on.You can wrap the grip as many times as you want to get your desired thickness,i wrapped the grip pretty heavily because i like a fatter grip seems more comfortable to me.

This is exactly what I am doing as well. When it gets too dirty or gnarly I just peel it off and re-wrap - the foam hand-grip underneath stays pretty clean and it is a nice trade-off. However, I am thinking about putting something with more heft up there - I have a large hand and having something more substantial to grip might be nice. I just don't want to lower the value of the detector, so I have held back.

I also use the wrap to tied-down my coil cable on the lower rods so I can do fast coil changes.

Google 'Bike Gear Foam Cushion Handlebar Grips'. It should be on the first site that comes up.

They're $6.45 with free shipping for 2 grips. They're way better than stock grips.:thumbup:

Remove the old grip and arm support. Be careful not to tear the padding on the arm support when removing, since the arm support is two pieces and the pad is one piece.

Make sure the rod is completely clean before installing the new grip are it won't slide on easily.

Pinch one end of the grip and fill the other end with rubbing alcohol. Then pour the alcohol that's in the grip onto the rod and quickly slide the new grip into place.

The rubbing alcohol makes the grip slide on easier. After the alcohol dries the grip will be snug.

tabman

Thank you Tabman; I found some on Amazon. I appreciate the instructions as well; a great bunch of folks here! I've tried the wrap in the past but want to try the grips this time around.

I did not like the handgrip on my old vaquero,because of the dirt collection factor on the foam so i took it off and replaced it with a plastic rubber type grip that comes on sand scoops and small trowel's.I was amazed at how well it did.No dirt collection and it was comfortable.I see no need for foam at all.The foam collects too much dirt.I thinks the designers should consider something better.