Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Hand Mirror Frame?

Erik in NJ

Hi, This site has the potential to hold relics from the 1600's to 1800's. Unfortunately they've torn down an old house and the strata appear to be disturbed. I'm using an Explorer and this signal sounded just like silver at 4".....I dug down about 8" - 10" and was PO'ed when I first pulled this as I thought it was just some copper wire. To me it appears to be a hand held mirrow frame.....but it's so spartan, I find it hard to believe that it could be for a woman. In it's current state it's approx.12" in length and appears to be made of copper.

And leads on this would be appreciated. Washington's Army also marched down this road.

[attachment 175325 HandMirror001.jpg]

I'm thinking a mirror. Could have been a trade item to the Native Americans.

The native trade items were often much less ornate than contemporary designs.(or you could say cheep knockoffs) Thus the "spartan" minimalism.

Could also have just belonged to frontier folk who could not afford extravagance.

If you were a soldier with Washington a basic non-rusting mirror would be handy for shaving and keeping up a military appearance. The loop at the top would make it handy to hang
on a tree branch or hook.

Looks very much like a mirror frame, I think your first guess was correct.

Cool relic.

They used to beat rugs with badminton racquet like wire frames like that.- there would be an inner woven design. Although there is that inner frame part, that looks like it might hold glass, or something.

If you can help me sort out this site you're more than welcome to join me if you're near NJ or want to travel. This site has a lot of potential, but the strata are disturbed due to the unfortunate demolition at this site. It's way too delicate in my opinion to have been a carpet beater and the U channel is just wide enough for holding glass.

It seems to be much smaller than a badminton raquet and a bit too delicate for beating a carpet. The U channel shows no signs that it could be strung in any way, but thank's very much for your post!!