Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Handle water

dewcon4414

Ive got a good many hours now IN the salt water with the Nox. Doing some checking ..... like the jack i made and remove handle to make sure i wasnt getting any damage. My jack was fine. However i loosened a couple of screws and ...... out comes water pretty good amount and this wasnt all of it. The water doesnt seem to drain out ...... i assume it gets in thru the hole for the handle. So...... id suggest anyone wanting to swap out those batteries best know this and take special care. Note the sand beside the lower right bolt hole. Those appear to be brass as well...... im guess there wont be any metal reaction since the bolts are SS not brass as well. Watch maker once told me when he was working on a TAG watch for me......... if it goes in the water..... theres no such thing as waterproof if its there long enough.

Dew

Dew,
Great info !!.....What do you plan on doing to remedy this ?....Jim

BTW....I’m watching your threads closely as you know I’m in saltwater a lot.......Thanks, Jim

I plan on hunting salt beaches to thanks looks lie you have a carbon shaft? how is it?

My shaft is Andersons....... really a superior build with all the holes you need..... no twist locks or a single button to lock the shaft in place..... its got a nice bolt and double buttons that goes in two holes so none of that lower shaft movement some are getting... which will wear that twist lock as well.

Pete.... ive done that but used teflon tape on the threads. I just like that a bit better. SS and brass shouldnt have a lot of metal reaction like you might get if both were say copper. Dont have a real solution...... drain hole like on headphones maybe. Another option.... i might cut a piece of rubber make a gasket and put it over the TOP part of the shaft between the upper and the shaft that would keep most of the water in the lower area. Not concerned about the lower portion of the handle...... id just like to not have water in the upper.

So Jim...... how do you like it in the salt water? Keep it simple to keep the chatter down and it really doesnt take long to know what the machine is doing....... either that or im missing a lot of targets lol.

Looks like cap to the battery pack (BP) is not sealed. There is a seal between the BP & control head from
the "nudies" I have seen of the control head. There are O-rings. The main concern is water getting to the
battery connections. Its a plug so it could cause trouble. I would NOT put a drain hole in BP. That would
insure more water & sand getting in. Probably void your warranty at least as far as water damage goes.
You may want to contact ML about this but I can pretty much guarantee they read the post already.......

HH Tom
LFOD !

TomNH said:
Looks like cap to the battery pack (BP) is not sealed.

No, it is sealed...it has 2 o-rings.

I think Dew is just (correctly, IMHO) worried that water trapped by the handle brackets could eventually work it's way past the o-rings...if kept for a long period of time/storage.
He's right that; Given enough time, there's no such thing as waterproof.
:)
mike

Is there a seal between the four screwed cap & the BP ? I didnt see one so I assumed the O -rings isolated
the battery connections from infiltration ( O-rings around the battery itself). If so the cap is only water resistant & dont matter.
For storage I would leave it horizontal & control head pointed up. This will keep any water from getting past the assumed O-ring to the
battery plug. Dews concern is understood. Water, ESPECIALLY salt water will make fast work of damaging electronics.

BTW brass colored hardware from the far east is seldom brass. A magnet will tell the story.....

HH Tom
LFOD !

trojdor said:
Looks like cap to the battery pack (BP) is not sealed.

No, it is sealed...it has 2 o-rings.

I think Dew is just (correctly, IMHO) worried that water trapped by the handle brackets could eventually work it's way past the o-rings...if kept for a long period of time/storage.
He's right that; Given enough time, there's no such thing as waterproof.
:)
mike

TomNH said:
Is there a seal between the four screwed cap & the BP ?

Tom,
I see what your asking...I think we just have a slight difference of definitions.

To me, the 'cap' to the battery pack is the round, black cover (or cap) held on with one screw...shown in the center of the second grip photo...and it has two o-rings.
It covers and seals the battery compartment (inside the handle)...which is easily accessible, once you remove that one screw in the cap and pull the cap off.

What I call the grip bracket, or clamp...is the grey part shown in the first photo...and it is the part that has 4 screws.
Since it clamps around the shaft, it cannot be made readily waterproof....and isn't really a battery cover.

Dew's problem seems to be that since it's not waterproof, water seeps in around the shaft and fills the void under the handle and around the shaft.
The battery compartment is still protected by those two o-rings on the cap/cover...but he'd prefer that water to not be there after the hunt.

Your idea of storing the control head up should work fine.
I'd think a compromise could be made with a vent hole of a small diameter...perhaps .040" (depending on sand grain size)...would allow the water to drain without filling up with sand?
His idea of a flat rubber gasket around the shaft itself also looks like it has merit.

BTW, I agree that most things from 'the far east' have specifications that must defy translation...since they're so far off. ;)
mike

Since its not something you need to open unless replacing the battery, line the battery compartment cover with silicone sealant and re-assemble. Should make it 100% waterproof if done correctly, and you could still pry them apart for eventual replacement of the battery.