Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Handmade Scoop - made from a light sconce

MickTwin

I really wanted to get into beach detecting, but had to do it on a low budget. I bought an older Sovereign XS - Pro 2 on ebay with a 550 meter, 8 inch BBS and 10 inch BBS coils for just over $400. It's such a joy to use on the wet salt sand that my Teknetics Delta couldn't handle (although it's the Delta is remarkable on the dry sand and VERY light).

The couple of times I've been on the beach I've used a hand held plastic pet food scoop that I had drilled 5/8 inch holes into. I've been wanting to purchase a good wet sand scoop, but never seemed to have the money (plenty of other bills kept arriving at the same time I had some extra dinero).

So, last week, on a rainy Sunday I decided to make my own.

Years ago I was given two copper exterior light sconces during a remodeling job. After rediscovering them during a garage cleaning, I realized they had a great "scoop" shape. I pulled the light bulb, lens, electric wires etc. from one and proceeded to solder the two copper halves together. Then drilled 1/2 inch holes (albeit poorly on some) and looked for a handle. I saw that the Home Depot magnet I bought and rarely used had a nice adjustable aluminum handle. Since that was only $14 I figured it would get better use on a scoop than a magnet. Total weight is about 3 1/2 lbs.

I took it to the beach for a tryout. It worked OK, but I found I needed to add a bracket between the handle and the back of the scoop because it would want to turn down as I lifted the wet sand (the pictures show it with the bracket - a deck building connector from Home Depot and 1/4 inch lag bolts with nylon locking stainless nuts). It also wants to wiggle back and forth (the part you step on) as I pushed down into the wet sand. I will try the "improved" version in a couple of days. What the heck, for the price it was worth the effort - and as soon as I find a heavy gold chain....

HH MickTwin
2igkody.jpg
2qm0mll.jpg
eq451s.jpg
v8jwo6.jpg
hwkg38.jpg

hey that cool , I sure you will work out the bugs as you go ,

Sorry couldn't resist and I have NO idea if your in the south!!! Loved your creativeness though!!

Nope, ha-ha!.. a NY 'er. But I DID do a stint in the Marines and learned plenty of Southern "creativity" from my Dixian brothers in arms :)

MickTwin

Good job,:thumbup:
I'm sure that gold chain will show up soon.:detecting:

thats given me an idea for making a scoop from an old car tyre and using pop rivets to hold it all togther

Well after a few hours use yesterday I had to make some changes. I made the mistake of taking right to the rocky area of the beach and going too hard on it. The lip started bending, so I relocated to the wet sand. It did fine there until I got a real deep signal (which kept going deeper as the water filled the hole). I guess I drilled too many holes in the forward half, weakening it... it crinkled at the 2nd row of holes. I went a bit easier on it after getting it back to a reasonable shape. Nevertheless, after another deep dig, the cheap aluminum handle bent above the brace. END OF HUNT

I had some free time today, so I grabbed the 2nd sconce and was able to marry the top to the bottom of the first one. Just melted the solder, removed the bad and soldered the new one (which was drilled with fewer holes this time. I also mated a wooden handle to it (epoxy'd the cut I made to attach it to the sconce - er, I mean scoop).

I'll give this one a test soon. Funny how after adding up all the time making it I figure it's costing what a high quality new one would - perhaps more! Oh well, it's fun try'in!:)

Also, some of yesterdays finds = nothing special (I'm still learning my Sovereign XS - Pro 2). 1 .32 fired bullet, 1 junk ring, 1 junk charm, 1 sterling ring 6.2 grams, 1 silver 1946 rosie, an encrusted nickle (may be a war), and a bit of clad. PLENTY of pull tabs (I still need to learn this 500 meter!).
HH MickTwin

dscn2152rd.jpg
dscn2155v.jpg
dscn2154p.jpg
dscn2156h.jpg
dscn2157s.jpg
dscn2158k.jpg
dscn2159.jpg

Well I admire your ingenuity and, the good side is when you do decide to buy a scoop you'll know exactly what you need from
All your creativity!

how does it work???
keep us posted
hh
john

John, I took it out for a test today. It works very well in both dry AND wet sand. The handle feels solid and the scoop digs in very well. Draining the sand takes a bit longer, but I do a lot of dumping out and swinging the coil over small batches to find the target anyway that I wasn't bothered. I had it in knee deep water too and it was a pleasure digging there as well (sandy bottom). It can really take a large amount of sand per scoop - most targets were caught in the first try.

I'm not going to STOMP on it in the rocky areas because I'm sure that would be too much for it... I'll get a Diamond Head for that stuff, but meanwhile, it allows me to do a decent job beach hunting without having to drop my detector and get down like I was doing when using my plastic scoop!

MickTwin