Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Happy New Year from TASMANIA

Birdseed

Happy New Year to all, and may 2011 have a silver lining edged with gold for all.

I enjoy the company of all on this forum, and, though I don't post often, I read with interest what every one contributes.

Cheers to all from "Downunder"

Birdseed said:
Happy New Year to all, and may 2011 have a silver lining edged with gold for all.

I enjoy the company of all on this forum, and, though I don't post often, I read with interest what every one contributes.

Cheers to all from "Downunder"

back at ya birdseed, may 2011 be the best year yet for all of us:drinking:

Happy New Year to you and all M8
and may the coil be whit us !

Sweepdog

If you mean a fellow detectorist down here called The Tasmanian Devil, then no. I am the only person in this area detecting that I know of. Though there must be others as I hear of people being seen on the local beaches.

If you mean the real little Tasmanian Devils, yes I have met quite a few over the years. In the wild they are nasty little buggers, in captivity they can be quite tame. I have had them charge out at me when driving the car. In full attack mode. Unfortunately a lot become roadkill because of this habit.

You may be aware that the Devil is in trouble at the moment, they are dying in their thousands due to "Facial Tumor Disease" Thought to be transmitted through fighting over food. The genetic code of individual animals is so similar, that a cancer like disease is transmitted from one to another when cells from the tumor contact an open wound, as their immune systems do not recognise that the cells come from another animal, and therefore do not reject the disease. Hope is that some animals from isolated pockets in Tasmania appear to be immune and these may be used to breed up an immune population.

The attached photo is not mine and shows a typical healthy Tasmanian Devil.

All the best again

Peter

Birdseed said:
Sweepdog

If you mean a fellow detectorist down here called The Tasmanian Devil, then no. I am the only person in this area detecting that I know of. Though there must be others as I hear of people being seen on the local beaches.

If you mean the real little Tasmanian Devils, yes I have met quite a few over the years. In the wild they are nasty little buggers, in captivity they can be quite tame. I have had them charge out at me when driving the car. In full attack mode. Unfortunately a lot become roadkill because of this habit.

You may be aware that the Devil is in trouble at the moment, they are dying in their thousands due to "Facial Tumor Disease" Thought to be transmitted through fighting over food. The genetic code of individual animals is so similar, that a cancer like disease is transmitted from one to another when cells from the tumor contact an open wound, as their immune systems do not recognise that the cells come from another animal, and therefore do not reject the disease. Hope is that some animals from isolated pockets in Tasmania appear to be immune and these may be used to breed up an immune population.

The attached photo is not mine and shows a typical healthy Tasmanian Devil.

All the best again

Peter

So, obviously you work in some degree of science/medical field. What do you do, if I may ask?

dbsmokey

No I don't work in the medical field, have recently retired from the power industry in the extra high voltage electrical engineering field. I have an enquiring mind and have managed to read up a lot of data on the plight of our Tasmanian Devils.
There is a lot of info from basic to the exotic available on the WEB about the devil for anyone that cares to look. I am also an active member of the Launceston Field Naturalist Club, which gives me access to people working in the animal health and related fields.

Also have an amateur radio call and cut and polish gemstones

Cheers

Peter

Hi Birdseed,My father served in the south pacific aboard the sub USS Cob as a sonar man. He has many pictures of the sub base in Perth and a few women that my mother does not care for. Anyway,he is a ham and sits for hours and hours and hours using Morse code and then starts with his call sign,,,,4 ZULU,4 ZULU on and on...Hope God and your Minelab treat you good this year....candycane.:detecting::cheekkiss::thumbup::beers::ausflag:

Birdseed, good luck with those Devils. Thanks for caring about them and thanks for the photo. Reminds me some of a badger we have here in west Texas. As mean as they seem to be would feel a great loss if we lost all of them. Wonder if we could teach them to dig targets or snif out gold rings? James