Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Happy with my new Vista HCx

Mike Hillis

Pretty cool little tool. :thumbup:

Keeps a lock even indoors most places and when it does loose it when I get totally enclosed by concrete (cell phones and pagers go dead here too) it picks right back up in no time.

Easy to navigate through the pages and menus and one hand operation is a breeze.

2 gigs holds a ton of maps.

One tip.....When loading your topo maps....rename them by area or state in Map Source before you load them, otherwise you spend a lot of time scrolling through the maps in the GPS looking for that individual map to activiate.

HH

Mike

The "H" series receivers are indeed very sensitive. In fact, I think that for the "H" they should change name of eTrex to something else - the old eTrex were dogs under canopy. "H" are very good. It's the same receiver as in the 60 Cs(x) and few other newer offerings from Garmin.

Regarding selecting maps; when you have lot of them loaded on a card, turning them ON and OFF one by one is a pain no matter how you name them. The best method to me is to turn them on by the entire group. It's not obvious how to do that - the manual doesn't cover it very well if at all but, it's pretty much the same for all Garmins. Once you are on the map screen and select "Map Setup" you select "i" (info) and that's where the individual maps can be turned On and Off. Don't do that/ Instead, with "info" displayed, use the pull down menu again and you will see an option to turn Off / On entire group of maps. So, for example, you can turn off all of the Metro Guide and turn On all of the Topo. Much easier than going through an endless list of individual map sections.

n/t

[quote Andrew Kalinowski]The "H" series receivers are indeed very sensitive. In fact, I think that for the "H" they should change name of eTrex to something else - the old eTrex were dogs under canopy. "H" are very good. It's the same receiver as in the 60 Cs(x) and few other newer offerings from Garmin.

[/quote]

The new H series receivers are very good but it's not the same receiver chipset as the 60CSx. The H models use the brand new Mediatek chip and the 60CSx and others use the SiRF III chip. Both seem to work equally well but they're from two different manufacturers.

Thanks for the correction. Somehow I missed that Garmin went with Mediatek chip sets for their newest high sensitivity receivers and since in my Rino 530 HCx does as well (or maybe even better?) as 60 Cs, I thought that they use the same SiRF chip sets. In any case; they are head and shoulder above what Garmin reception used to be.