Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Hard ground and hard times

Hankscraft

Here in San Antonio we have had rain but not much. I own a 300 acre ranch and that old ground is getting hard again to hunt stuff. Plus a tragic event in the family last month so I am heading out one more time to check some local parks. Had to load all my metal detecting items on CL this morning just cuz times are getting hard and the ground too! Wish me luck. I will always enjoy reading yalls post and seeing what this ole earth unvails. Good luck fellow swingers.

Good luck in your outings.

Know what you mean..........we're in extreme drought here and it's like concrete and the grass is brown. We can't hunt much at all since it's so dry and extremely HOT! Happy days ahead, Nancy

We have had the same issue here in Jersey up until a week ago. Finally some badly needed rain. Much better diggin now in most places.
Wish all of you rainy nights and sunny days for hunting.

:usmc: I'm so very sorry Craigs List has become the alternative to hard times. People here in my area of Idaho are struggling and trying to get by. The outsiders though seem to be prospering or act as if nothing is wrong with the economy.

For over a month now, our Temps here in the canyon have been in the high 90's and up to a 107 degrees. We are so very dry here, that some trees are beginning to drop their heat stressed leaves. Even the wild Black Berries not near a good water source are yellowing and the berries are drying up. We have had clouds now and then that looked as if they should have rained but we have not seen any amount of rain for a month. I know in the 1930's, the Old Timers and the records show Idaho was in a drought and back home in the Big Lost River valley, all the trees along the river died. Since about 1984, we have never had winters like we used to get and the trees again along the river have mostly died. If we ever get winters back like we used to get when I was a kid, the outsiders who moved here thinking our weather was mild, will pack their bags.

It is so dry here in the Salmon River canyon, I'm not so willing to do much off road driving for fear of starting a wildfire. I don't do the heat like I used to and raining sweat from my forehead and headphones is not my idea of fun. I was born up there in Brian next to College Station and Dad was born at Victoria. My Grandparents had a huge cattle spread in the Mission Valley area from around the early 1900's and was in the family for about 80-90 years until various family members inherited and then lost or sold their parts of it off. Many times I had wished I could have returned down there when Grandma was still alive to detect it or find and sift out the old dumps. Back in those days, farmers and ranchers had their own dumps on their places. The bad part about Victoria is, it's not really all that far from the coast waters and the land is so flat, it don't drain very well so iron relics may not last very long in the soil there.

300 acres around the Alamo area should produce something, possibly even Spanish origin. Hope you get one more hunt under the belt.

I'm in washington state.. where it rains all the time.. that place.. yeah, well its not true at all! We have been so dry its crazy! The ground is rock hard! Im a big dude anyway, but on one dig I jumped up on the shovel and it tacoed.. folded like a taco.. I had to break out the shovel used to remove shingles off of roofs! Its smaller, but is much stronger. We should be getting some rain soon I hope.. craigslist sucks.. so many flakes on there.. low balling ya, wanting gold prices for their stuff.. but it can be a good thing to..

Hankscraft, sorry to hear about the hard times. Hope they end soon. Keep your chin up and hang in there, better times are on there way, along with the rain.