Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Hard times - Have to sell everything

After waiting all winter to get out I lost my car ,and can no longer get out so i will be selling all my metaldetecting things . cant use them anyway . almost made it I will be selling my golden umax, 100.00 my 3x18 coil 90.00 my bran new 7" widscan ive never used 50.00 those prices will be shiped my 7" coil has not arived yet

You are selling a Golden Umax for $100? Are you sure? That is a steal. Are you sure you did not make a mistake. Unless I am reading it wrong. If not I will take it.

I found a place to live close to a park and school so im going to keep the items sorry for the rug pull its just that whear i am now i cant get out whithout a vehickle but i found a difrent place to live that is way better plymouth MN

dude it was way used yes it works but the foam handle is just about worn off and the coil is damiged but works it has cracks and a hole in it how it still works i do not know but if anyone has a question wheather tesoro detectors are stong they shure are

Howdy Gunnar
I'm glad things worked out for you, I was getting a little worried that you was getting away from this great hobby of ours. Take care, and keep swinging!

Sorry to hear about the hard times your going through Gunner. On a positive side you're adapting and moving on. Good going!

I thought if I was homeless I would buy a mechanically sound, cheap second-hand Camperized Van and live in it full time - permanently, metal detecting and prospecting in warmer southern areas in the winter. Find alot of free places to sleep with it as well being a very comfortable and happy homeless person.

http://www.vwcampervans.com/
http://www.gtrv.com/models.htm
http://www.roadtrek.com/

Keep kicking Gunnar! Looking forward to seeing more of your finds and your tool ideas.

Gunnar i'm so sorry to hear what your going through i truly and genuinely feel the pain your going through, i know how much you like this hobby, when you get yourself settled, please let me know i might be able to possibly help you out down the road, i truly hate to see anyone taken away from a few things they realy like and i know you really like metal detecting!

Gunnar, that's exactly what I did for 1 year when I lost my job and only had unemployment. I was fortunate enough to find an old van with bed and table and chairs. I bought a solar shower from Walmart for $7-the plastic hang-up thingy that's black on one side and clear on the other. In about 3 hours in the sun, the water will scald your butt! I also bought a 12 volt fan that plugs into the cigarette lighter. And finally I bought 2 cheapo sleeping bags for winter and put them inside each other to make sure I kept warm enough and I put the next day's clothing inside w/me to make sure they were warm the next morning and put them on inside the sleeping bag. I already had a gasoline burner to cook with. Now here was my modus operandi: I slept on Walmart parking lots on the outside edges of the parking lot and when I awakened I went and did my hunting and that kept my van off the lot during days and didn't make me look suspicious. At day's end, I ate and whatever needed doing, and took my shower in my underwear and a tee shirt with the van turned to block the view-I was sorta in between the front door and van-like a stall.:clapping: I DID NOT dry off-I immediately went to bed soaking wet and just turned the 12 volt fan on me (this is during the summer:laugh:) and in the morning-and this is true-you AND the bed will be bone dry but at night the condensing water will cool you almost as good as an a/c. Now here's the crazy thing-I loved it! I wasn't on the parking lots all of the time-sometimes I was at a lake-another time a rest area. Nowadays, there are lots of 24 hr. businesses. I found out the best places on the lots were the outer edges that had little continuous traffic-no entrance areas, etc. I only mention this because I helped out a traveling evangelist one night as I was on the parking lot and he was afraid he and his were going to burn up that night-they couldn't find a motel. He came back a month later and told me that at first he felt a little silly, but he sure had a comfortable night's sleep and he couldn't believe he was completely dry the next day. The 12 volt fan also runs all night with just a small drain on the battery. Hope you never have to-but boy it's nice to do it the right way!:thumbup:

Not to be flippant or demeaning to Gunnar or anyone else out there in financial straits but WOW excellent story! I know you weren't in that situation by choice but that sounds like something I could easily jump off into for 2-3 weeks at a time when kids get grown and home gets quiet (6 - 8 years). Living on the cheap, seeing the country, pursuing the hobby.

No, I didn't choose that. I also made sure I picked up aluminum cans and that's when I learned to slow down when metal detecting. At first I was in a hurry to get money for food and supplies. One night I reasoned after cleaning and rolling my coins. I had my money specified as pennies for batteries, nickels, dimes, and quarters for the rest. That's when I realized that 50 DIMES were $5-a seemingly "DUH!" statement. Then I realized that overlapping my sweeps as if I were ONLY hunting for dimes was the best venue BECAUSE it's probably the one coin left behind more by other hunters because of it's size. Sure enough, even though I was taking a little longer, the amount increased and the rings and other coins just came in naturally. You will be amazed at the number of dimes left behind and $5 days in dimes alone were common. Another one of my favorites was taking along a ruler and sliding it under coke machines for extra change. There was one grocery store that the coke machine was always selling out of the favorite drinks and the customers would just leave the money in because it wouldn't vend and I would walk by and push a button where the "out" button wasn't shining and a root beer or strawberry would drop out. It would take me pages to go on and on.

Gunnar of bradford MN said:
You really had hard times and thank you for the advice its really important in this econimy wow
Hope it's never needed- I think things will turn for the better. Even the cheapest metal detector is food on the table. I'd always have at least one.

Amazing story, slingshot.

I'm sure that experience made you a better person. Some of the best, most genuine people I've met are those that at one time, had "nothing"

Thanks

Mike