Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Has anyone compared the Sunray x8 to the SEF 6x8?

monindou

Hi guys,

I've seen a few posts about the success some folks have had with the SEF 6x8. And I've also seen where at least one regular forum poster has sold his SEF 6x8 but I recall if it was just a something that had to be done or if it was because he didn't like something about it.

I own and very much like using the Sunray x8. I'm open to picking up yet another coil one day and giving things a whirl for myself but I thought that maybe someone already did the comparison between these two coils and wouldn't mind listing of the pros and cons of his/her findings

Thanks a lot,
Doug M.

Explorer SE, X1 probe, Pro, 1050, Sunray x12, SEF 10x12, Joey, Slimline, Sunray x8, and Excellorator Pro 5 coils.

Hey Doug,

I have never had the opportunity to run the SEF 6x8 but I would be interested to know what others thought as well. I also own the Sunray x8 and I must say that I love that coil in heavy trash. Then again I found that I tend to do very well even with the stock coil in heavy trash anyway. The Sunray x8 just gives me that extra signal seperation that I need. I don't use it often, but when I do, I love hunting around old picnic tables. I seem to really tear it up and am able to pull some goodies out that others have left behind. It actually cracks me up to see so many other fellow hunters avoid trashy areas like the plague. For me, bring on the trash! I figure if there's trash there, there's also coins :biggrin:

By the way I see you listed under signature that you own the Excelerator 5 - how do you like that one? A guy I hunt with from time to time owns the Sunray Stealth X-5 and he tends to think it runs a little to hot. Have you had the same experience with the Excelerator 5?

I own both coils. I like the SEF more because for me it is more stable when swinging it and it hits things like twigs,tall grass,etc. The sunray like to false alot to me when it hit things. I run my machine wide open on all metal. The SEF goes with me to the park and into the woods. My opinion only. I have a buddy and he loves his Sunray 8.

Thank you for your comments. I've been keeping to yards and parks so I'll do some work in a little rougher conditions - stubble fields this fall - to see if I also get falsing when the coil is bumped.

Hi Michelob,

I tend to migrate to toward the trash too, sometimes it really pays off. I normally run between IM and a closed pattern that focuses on silver. I switch between the two when I need a break from the pull tab and twist top noise.

To answer your question about my experiences with the Excelerator 5"... It takes some getting used to using. It's so light and small, kind of like swinging just a lower shaft only. As a result I catch myself going way to fast - swinging and walking way to fast. In parks or yards where the grass is thick and say 3"-4" tall I've found that I need to keep jamming it down to keep it close to the ground so sometimes that's a little frustrating. As a result I tend to use it more in the spring and fall or in the more barren locations.

I also have a problem in that using the 5" coil sometimes collides with my Type A personality. I get a little antsy using it sometimes; by this I mean that I start wondering if I'm walking over deeper targets and I don't give the coil a fair shake before I switch up to the x8. When I do make the switch, and cover the same ground I just hit with the 5" only not to find anything I kick myself for not sticking with the 5" and just continuing my original hunt. Goofy isn't it?

I will say thought that when the ExPro 5" hits it hits clear and hard and I've dug some nice treasure with it so it stays permanently attached to it's own lower shaft and safely tucked into the coil/shaft bag in the car.

I've often wondered about the Sunray x5, but IMHO one super small coil, unless you're in good jewelry hunting situations I guess, is enough for a guy. But maybe one day I might get a hankering to try something a little different because I do like the Sunray products.

- DM