Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Has Anyone Noticed On The Compadre And Cibola...

CladDog

If the Compadre and the Cibola are both outfitted with a 5.75" concentric coil, is their performance fairly equal in terms of sensitivity to small targets?

CladDog said:
107 views and no answers?

Come on, someone's got to know this...

I kinda do.
The sensitivity does increase a bit with the sniper coil on my Vaq.
Not a lot of testing done with that one or actual jaw dropping teeny tiny finds in the field with that sniper because I don't use that rig a ton anymore, but I do know it is a few degrees more sensitive than my big DD or the standard concentric without losing much depth compared to those bigger coils if any at all.

Now this remains to be seen in further target testing and I will probably get bored and do it one day, but the Compadre has a few other things going for it when hunting in disc compared to the Vaq and the Cibola so I still think it will edge out either in the extreme sensitivity department.
The Compadre is a true 180 degree expanded discrimination unit and even though on paper the other 2 are supposed to be, my Vaq anyway, in truth it is not.
The extreme low end in iron cannot be seen even with the lowest disc setting without switching to all metal so my Vaq is actually more like 160-170 degrees...not 180 ED.
Also the Vaq and Cibola are modern units with the high gain-low noise programming that most detectors now use to hit major depth, the Compadre is a throwback to an era before this was common and does not have that same programming.

All I can say that on one of my first hunts with the Compadre I had a loud, repeatable tone and dug up a target that my Propointer had some major trouble locating in my hand unless it was touching it.
That target was one lone bead from a chain that is the size of the kind that comes on most nail clippers.
Absolutely no empirical data to back this up but my feeling is in disc, maybe even in all metal, both my Vaq and the Cibola with the sniper coil would not even come close to seeing something like this thing as easily as it was for the Compadre.

Considering targets this small and this type are not what most of us are looking for I think it is probably a non-issue and your Cibola and sniper will pick up 99.9999% of all jewelry targets worth digging probably even down to the tiny earring stud size.
I have a very thin and unusually tiny gold chain that the big DD and the standard coil on my vaq really had trouble seeing in disc and at all metal when I tested it against the Compadre that picked it up easily at 3".
Not the chain at all but it did fine on the tiny clasp.
A really spotty, junky, broken irregular signal I would never dig on the Vaq and that was with scraping the thing on the bottom of my coil, too.
I think the Vaq and the sniper coil will do much better on this chain in all metal and probably in disc so I will test that out in the future because now you made me wonder.

CladDog said:
Thats what I'm looking for. Thanks Revier!

I aim to please!
Seem to miss that mark quite frequently when dealing with the wife, however.:cheekkiss:

Compadre with a 7 inch coil, Vaquero , 8 inch coil outdistanced the Compadre on virtually all the gold targets I tried..On the smaller items , the Compadre ran circles around the Silver Umax...I had to move my stuff and have no idea of where my notes are.

KVM2 said:
Compadre with a 7 inch coil, Vaquero , 8 inch coil outdistanced the Compadre on virtually all the gold targets I tried..On the smaller items , the Compadre ran circles around the Silver Umax...I had to move my stuff and have no idea of where my notes are.

I have to set up and test more, but at seperate times I did test gold on both and my 7" coil Compadre held it's own pretty well in disc from what I remember.
I am old so don't quote me on that.
Also my Compadre is super hot with the sense pretty much turned up to almost max internally.