Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Has anyone read this book?

otlew

"A Beginners guide to the Minelab Sovereign and Excalibur series by Tony Pasquale"

I ordered the advanced book, after I placed the order I noticed the beginners guide above. I am just wondering if perhaps the beginners book would also be worth a read and, perhaps I should add it to my order. I did an all dates search on the title here, but nothing came up in the search.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

otlew said:
"A Beginners guide to the Minelab Sovereign and Excalibur series by Tony Pasquale"

I ordered the advanced book, after I placed the order I noticed the beginners guide above. I am just wondering if perhaps the beginners book would also be worth a read and, perhaps I should add it to my order. I did an all dates search on the title here, but nothing came up in the search.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

77 views and no one has heard of this book. Strange:minelab:

I guess the answer is no.......... From my own point of view I see this forum as a book, lucky to have a few people here who have vast area's of knowledge/experience of the Sovereign. And the difference's in their preferences of settings and views makes not only a good debate - but also provides plenty of theories to test out for myself.

However I do like to read an actual book, if you could tell us if the advanced book is any good once you have read it...........would be appreciated.

deanosaur1972 said:
I guess the answer is no.......... From my own point of view I see this forum as a book, lucky to have a few people here who have vast area's of knowledge/experience of the Sovereign. And the difference's in their preferences of settings and views makes not only a good debate - but also provides plenty of theories to test out for myself.

However I do like to read an actual book, if you could tell us if the advanced book is any good once you have read it...........would be appreciated.

Will do, as soon as I have read it I will report back.

The book was written as a fast start guide for the Excal and Sovereign. It makes much of the information that is available in the manuals in an easier to read and understand type format. I would highly recommend it for anyone who is a beginner and new to the sov or excal.

I can recommend a fast-start beginner's guide for the Sovereign GT: just ask the users here. I made that request a few weeks ago and got suggestions on where the controls should be set. I hit the beach, adjusted the GT as instructed, and began to dig coins. How cool is THAT?!

Electro said:
The book was written as a fast start guide for the Excal and Sovereign. It makes much of the information that is available in the manuals in an easier to read and understand type format. I would highly recommend it for anyone who is a beginner and new to the sov or excal.

Thanks Electro,

I will order the book, and give my opinion at some point. Some of the things that are not obvious to a beginner with the Sovereign GT, or the its predecessors are what I am trying to put into one place as a general reference.

An example, being so new to metal detecting and the Sovereign GT, I don't know much about coils. No where that I have found in the GT manual does it state what type of coil the Tornado is. I suspected it was a DD, and with a little internet work I confirmed my suspicion that it is. I now know in general how to effectively pinpoint with this coil as I have learned DD coils on other machines.

While this forum is a fantastic site for learning metal detecting in general and the details of the Sovereign, it is labor intensive to mine (pun intended) through for information and print things of interest. I travel the world for my work, having books to read is a must.

The book finding gold silver and coins by Clive James Clynick (i think that is how his name is spelled) Is a great read. I almost went for the beginners book entioned in this thread but I thought it was more oriented toward newcommers to the hobby. I gotClives book because although I am familiar with multi toned machines and know how to use them, I know alot of guys do not like the sovereign when they first use it and give up on it. The book has some good details on how the machine works, how signals and tones act, how to dust proof your sovereign and it is oriented for people who are familiar and who are not familiar with the sovereign. The only thing I am somewhat disappointed in as far as extra coils go, is he only mentions the WOT style coil other than the stock coils but, it may have been the only aftermarket coil available at the time. There are alot of details about notching and discrimination set ups. He also has a chart devoted to the 180 scale that shows how tabs and gold rings read so it is a good reference for that. I myself would consider buying it because it never hurts to learn at least one thing about the machine you use that you did not know before hand. Tim

silvereagle said:
i have heard of the CLYVES books but have not read yet,please let us know how you like it

It came in the mail today. As I have a 15 hour flight ahead of me next week and about a month in hotels then a 16 hour flight back home I will get it read, more than once. I will report in a couple of weeks with my first impression of the book.

bigtim1973 said:
The book finding gold silver and coins by Clive James Clynick (i think that is how his name is spelled) Is a great read. I almost went for the beginners book entioned in this thread but I thought it was more oriented toward newcommers to the hobby. I gotClives book because although I am familiar with multi toned machines and know how to use them, I know alot of guys do not like the sovereign when they first use it and give up on it. The book has some good details on how the machine works, how signals and tones act, how to dust proof your sovereign and it is oriented for people who are familiar and who are not familiar with the sovereign. The only thing I am somewhat disappointed in as far as extra coils go, is he only mentions the WOT style coil other than the stock coils but, it may have been the only aftermarket coil available at the time. There are alot of details about notching and discrimination set ups. He also has a chart devoted to the 180 scale that shows how tabs and gold rings read so it is a good reference for that. I myself would consider buying it because it never hurts to learn at least one thing about the machine you use that you did not know before hand. Tim

Thanks Tim,
Good info.

Your welcome guys.....I have read it through once completely but I keep re reading certain parts.....One thing I did learn in this book is it changed how I think about sensitivity. I was one to think it had to be cranked up all of the way and after reading the part about sensitivity settings I now realize that it overloads the circuit in ground with high mineralization and masks out the good targets because it is making the machine read the ground more instead of seeing through it. I have never thought of sensitivity in that way before. Now I wonder what performance I could have got out of other machines I have owned in the past, Oh well you live and learn, Tim

bigtim1973 said:
Your welcome guys.....I have read it through once completely but I keep re reading certain parts.....One thing I did learn in this book is it changed how I think about sensitivity. I was one to think it had to be cranked up all of the way and after reading the part about sensitivity settings I now realize that it overloads the circuit in ground with high mineralization and masks out the good targets because it is making the machine read the ground more instead of seeing through it. I have never thought of sensitivity in that way before. Now I wonder what performance I could have got out of other machines I have owned in the past, Oh well you live and learn, Tim

I gather you got your money's worth in this book. I ordered it from Kellyco for $10 plus 3.99 shipping. If it gives few good hints into using the Sovereign or Excalibur, I will consider it money well spent. I expect it here early next week.

Yes I certainley did find it worth the money but, I paid 12.95 for mine!!!!! I had an MXT once and got Jeff Fosters book called MXT edge and I thought I was going to learn a thing or two but instead I interpreted it into alot of how the machine works instead of how to hunt better. I just resold it to someone on ebay. Some guys swear by the mxt edge book but I did not find it worth the money. Now this Clive Clynick book about the sovereign is a different story as I have learned a thing or two about it so far. I believe you will be happy with it also, Tim

bigtim1973 said:
Yes I certainley did find it worth the money but, I paid 12.95 for mine!!!!! I had an MXT once and got Jeff Fosters book called MXT edge and I thought I was going to learn a thing or two but instead I interpreted it into alot of how the machine works instead of how to hunt better. I just resold it to someone on ebay. Some guys swear by the mxt edge book but I did not find it worth the money. Now this Clive Clynick book about the sovereign is a different story as I have learned a thing or two about it so far. I believe you will be happy with it also, Tim

The Beginner's Guide came yesterday. I did a quick read last night and found it simple to understand and to the point. Its strong point is comments about proper setting of the Sovereign. It is advertised as both a Sovereign and Excalibur book but I found very little specific to the Excalibur, then again they are so similar much of it applies to both.

The big thing about this book is Tony Pasquale is a great salesman at Kellyco. He has been working there over 10 years and his favorite detector is the Minelab Excalibur.
http://www.kellycodetectors.com/comments/tony-comments.htm

I found both books to be more than adequate for understanding how the Sovereign should be set up and techniques of using the machine. Clive's book has plenty of explanations and some diagrams of how tones are generated when the coil passes over a target of a given type such as Iron, silver, gold, caps and foil.

Both books (Beginners Guide / Finding Gold) explain the sensitivity and threshold settings quite well. Now I just need to set about applying the lessons, hope to do that soon since cool weather is here.

When Clive explains the Sovereign he goes through the older models first and then has a section devoted to the GT. I feel I got my money's worth with this book, and there might even be a tip or two for the seasoned Sovereign user. I haven't read the portion on the Excalibur, but will do so as I may just buy one in late spring for next years summer season.

In short, between the good advice here and the books, all I need to do is start hunting and learn the various settings and methods in the field.

I read Clives book over a winter before I ever tried my GT out for the first time. I found the book very interesting and full of tip's. But not having used a sovereign before I couldn't place some of the info into a usable form that I could relate to. It's pretty hard for someone to describe to another person what a sound,sound's like. I didn't even know what a Sov. sounded like. After I used the machine for a few weeks a re-read part's of the book and that's when I got the most from the book it seemed that it made more sense to me and I was able to place the tip's and sound's that Clive explained in the book into something more usable. I actually experienced what he had said and explained in the book and now I could go back and glean a few more tip's from the book. (now that I what I was reading about). Moral of the story; re-read the book after using your Sov. for awhile you'll get more out of it.
Good hunting Gary

gear box said:
I read Clives book over a winter before I ever tried my GT out for the first time. I found the book very interesting and full of tip's. But not having used a sovereign before I couldn't place some of the info into a usable form that I could relate to. It's pretty hard for someone to describe to another person what a sound,sound's like. I didn't even know what a Sov. sounded like. After I used the machine for a few weeks a re-read part's of the book and that's when I got the most from the book it seemed that it made more sense to me and I was able to place the tip's and sound's that Clive explained in the book into something more usable. I actually experienced what he had said and explained in the book and now I could go back and glean a few more tip's from the book. (now that I what I was reading about). Moral of the story; re-read the book after using your Sov. for awhile you'll get more out of it.
Good hunting Gary

Great comments and just what I intend to do. You have to do something to internalize it, reading about it is half the work.