Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

has anyone used the cheaper pinpointers like amazon sales?

jimmy clark

Ive been meaning to get a backup pinpointer. had to send the one I'm using for repair. Ive heard that some models of the cheaper pinpointers or fairly decent. has anyone used one that's decent? an if so which one?

I just order on from E-BY. Don't have it yet. I lost my TRX, and cried, i have a Garretts but needed a back-up, so i order one. Will let you know if it works ok when i get it.

I got one of the GP brand for a backup and they are better than nothing but no comparison to the Garrett. They had about a one inch range which I was able to find the targets and they were inexpensive.

GP work for a bit but doesnt last. I had 2 and within a month they are history. after a while, every time you turned the pointed end down it would sound off, POC

Buy a Garrett carrot stick, cant go wrong or try and find a used good one.

Good Luck,
HH
Donna(NJ)

Look for a coil cord long enough to attach to your belt (finds pouch) and leave it attached. The couple of times I started to walk away from the pointer I had laid down it dutifully followed me. Broke the first cord still trying to find another (just has to be comfortable at arms length). Hint: buy a good pointer and make it second nature to keep your belt/pouch together all the time!

Look for a coil cord long enough to attach to your belt (finds pouch) and leave it attached. The couple of times I started to walk away from the pointer I had laid down it dutifully followed me. Broke the first cord still trying to find another (just has to be comfortable at arms length). Hint: buy a good pointer and make it second nature to keep your belt/pouch together all the time!
I didn't loose it. I got it muddy. washed the mud off then it would come on but wouldn't beep. only a few months out of warranty.

GP work for a bit but doesnt last. I had 2 and within a month they are history. after a while, every time you turned the pointed end down it would sound off, POC

Buy a Garrett carrot stick, cant go wrong or try and find a used good one.

Good Luck,
HH
Donna(NJ)
my zlink A.T. garrett is what I had to ship off to have it fixed or replaced. just washed it off with a water hose. water proof to 20 feet hu hu
I just order on from E-BY. Don't have it yet. I lost my TRX, and cried, i have a Garretts but needed a back-up, so i order one. Will let you know if it works ok when i get it.
thanks for the reply. what brand did you order?

I see the Chinese Garrett knock offs on Facebook all the time.. the add says waterproof but the fine print says don’t submerge hmmm..I’ve never used a pin pointer but if I did I would spend the money to get a genuine carrot..

Stay away from Chinese look alike they are JUNK:thumbdown:

Attachments

• fake & real.jpg
    fake & real.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 209
My Son sent me the HOMPO from Amazon. $26
Looks good and seems nice and solid. It is really sensitive !! Detect a large object 6" away ! Detects coins when I wave them about 2" away. Best stud finder ever. Like the way the 9v battery installs. Without a doubt outshines my Vibra Pro. If it holds up for a time no sense spending the big money. In free air both the tip and side signal within 2". With the bright orange I should not loose it. Not for underwater, up to the switch and led light would be ok. I was well satisfied working in the hole.

make a loop in one end of a heavy string or attach a dog leash snap to it for a belt loop attachment
20210503_113153.jpg
....and a couple of winds of electrical tape around the cap where the battery goes in will attach it ...slide the loop around your belt and stick the pinpointer through the loop.....easy, peasy.....make sure it is long enough for you and you are ready to go. Pic is my backup garrett pinpointer.

Years ago when I first got into metal detecting and was on a budget, and after doing extensive research. I settled on what was then a pin pointer that went by the name DETEKNIX (now called the QUEST). It was rather new to the market but had really good reviews. So I went with it and had no regrets. After years of service and dozens of batteries it finally took a crap this year while I was a 100 miles from home visiting my daughter. I went online while still on location and replaced it with a Garrett. Oh how I missed that old pin pointer

F5

yes stay away from chinese junk. Ever wonder why they used to call chines wooden ships "Junks"?

Years ago when I first got into metal detecting and was on a budget, and after doing extensive research. I settled on what was then a pin pointer that went by the name DETEKNIX (now called the QUEST). It was rather new to the market but had really good reviews. So I went with it and had no regrets. After years of service and dozens of batteries it finally took a crap this year while I was a 100 miles from home visiting my daughter. I went online while still on location and replaced it with a Garrett. Oh how I missed that old pin pointer

F5
I still use a Deteknix PI pin pointer that came with a bungy cord. Only had one issue with the battery terminal getting bent to where it didn’t make good contact. Fixed it myself and still going strong after almost 10 years.

Bought girlfriend a cheap one off Amazon for like 26.00 had maybe 8-900 positive reviews, shes been using it for a month and it works good so far. But who knows how long it will last. My nokta has gotten to where it will only pic up a coin a inch or so away no matter what setting its on or if it has a brand new battery.

A poorly functioning pinpointer is way worse than waving clumps of soil in front of your coil. Skimp somewhere else like digging tools and bags / but not the PP unless you enjoy wasting time and feeling frustrated