Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Has anyone with an X70 checked the ID on a platinum ring?

Gary in Daytona

The reason I ask is I found a ring on beach today. It was marked inside with the person's name. It IDs very low, around 8-10. That seems too high for stainless and too low for most anything else except platinum. The one small platinum band I have reads even lower, but I'd be interested in hearing other results. TIA.

and I hope it is, but white gold will read low below nickels as well, even the medium sized ones. Must be a custon job if its not hallmarked. I have found a couple custom made white gold class rings and they read below nickel.

Tom

It's just a wide plain band with three circles going around it on one side, not centered. At first I thought it was the cap off a faucet with threads on the outside, but it's definitely a ring. Has a girl's name written on the inside, and that's the only mark. Do you know if there is a test for platinum?

Gary,

This is not a for sure test, kind of a quick and dirty home test. Since platinum is a very hard dense metal, normal jewelry polishes made for silver and gold will not get rid of the fine surface scratches. By fine I mean visible only under at least 3X magnification. If you have a loupe handy and some silver polish check it out. If you see no difference after a bit of polishing, then if not platinum it at least a very hard metal.

Tom

John,

Yes technically it is, but the alloy used for jewelry is much harder than gold or silver. Doesn't scratch as easily and requires harder compounds to polish out.

Tom

Gary,

A few weeks ago, while hunting a tot lot, one of the locals asked if I knew anyplace he could rent one of those things. I told him, "I doubt it, why did you lose something?" Turns out he lost his platinum wedding band while putting in a flower bed. So we went over to the suspected area, I whipped out the 70 and got to work. The flower bed was only about 2-1/2' wide and maybe 20' long ,so this wasn't going to take long. The first hit was a strong 20, about 4" down. Big screw top. I slowly work my way down the bed. Another hi-tone hit - a lousy nail.
The last 5 feet. Uh-Oh, could be trouble. But NO - a strong 12-14. Bingo. Only down about 4". This was a wide, thick men's platinum wedding band. Didn't ask about purity. So his wife says to him, "Well, I guess we're married again!" So all is sweetness and light at their household for now.