Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Have you ever had hostility from people while You Detect.

Bullshit sir.

30+ years of law enforcement. Not once have I known an officer desperate to shoot anyone (or be in a lethal encounter in the first place). You might be surprised to know, there's a bunch of us that metal detect. We metal detect for the same reasons as everyone here, share the same joys and frustrations as everyone else here. When authority is abused, we don't like it either.
Maybe i have been watching too many you tube video's of police aggression , is it true 2000 citizens are shot dead by police in USA every 2 years or so. That just has to be worrying to think about.

Yes, YT can be very misleading....especially if you're trying to compare raw numbers of a smaller country to the US.
(And don't get me started on those YT first amendment "Frauditor" videos, lol.)

My friends from the UK always express their disbelief at the sheer size of the U.S, when they visit.
And, of course, how long it takes to travel from one state to the next.

To put it into perspective:
"United Kingdom is approximately 243,610 sq km, while United States is approximately 9,833,517 sq km, making United States 3,937% (40x) larger than United Kingdom."
( https://www.mylifeelsewhere.com › united-kingdom )

England proper is slightly smaller in area than the one US state of Alabama. (And we have a total of 50 states.)
To get a better feel for the scale, check out this overlay map of the US and all of Europe:

So yes ... we have more criminals, thus more crime, and more police officers, and more police / criminal interactions, and more police shootings, and more of just about everything that involves people, than many countries .... because we have more people than than any other country in the world except China and India. (Official US population: 331 million 2020, *Note: by definition, this does not count the substantial 'undocumented' population. (Per Worldometer.))

But we also have more 'normal' / 'nice' / 'ordinary' people....regardless of what the media portrays...and we just want to live out our lives in peace and quiet, love and enjoy our families and our hobbies, and share good times and laughter with our friends along the way.
.... Just like the majority of the rest of the world.
:)
mike

Last edited:

Attachments

• anton-szandor-lavey-portrait.jpg
    anton-szandor-lavey-portrait.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 71
Im with utmike,
35 years in law enforcement, more good cops than bad cops. Look on YT and you will find more videos of idiot deterorists so does that make them all property destructionists?
After the last few years of BullCrap by liberal mayors and BLM screamings I would be unsnapped on contact as well. Better safe than sorry.

One thing that helps with potentiometers is a good tuner wash several good brands will bring them back to life.

Attachments

• 20230220_201830.jpg
    20230220_201830.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 77
Society is just getting crazier every day.
You can blame media for stirring the pot and creating a division between people.
The internet for poisoning the minds of people especially kids and the cartels for drugging a large portion of society.
Thats a recipe for disaster.

Hostility from other people while detecting? Absolutely, typically those I'm hunting with telling me if i make another great find they're going to kill me. ;)
As for everybody else? Well, I had the Salt Lake City Police called on me a few decades ago by somebody concerned. Had a nice chat with them, the police. I've had a lot of dog walkers apologize for their off leash dogs being overly friend to me. (Dogs know i'm friendly and an easy mark for some attention) I've had parents concerned their kids were hanging around me, a stranger, I try to introduce myself where appropriate and be kind to those I meet.

I've had some folks be distrustful of me when I've knocked on their door and such. On occasion, they can be rude. I understand their concern, i am a stranger to them. I've had small town Sheriffs come talk to me and I introduce myself and make every attempt to put them at ease.

People being aggressive towards me? No. I'm tall so I don't typically get that. And again, I always try to be friendly, like I'd want people to be to me so I think that helps.

It is nice being 'left alone' to do my thing when I'm hunting a park or such, i'm able to get more accomplished not being interrupted. But, we live in a social world where we get to interact with everybody else so i try to make the best of it. If I think I'm having a bad day and not very social, there are places i can hunt where I'm less likely to interact.

UtahRich

Hostility from other people while detecting? Absolutely, typically those I'm hunting with telling me if i make another great find they're going to kill me. ;)
As for everybody else? Well, I had the Salt Lake City Police called on me a few decades ago by somebody concerned. Had a nice chat with them, the police. I've had a lot of dog walkers apologize for their off leash dogs being overly friend to me. (Dogs know i'm friendly and an easy mark for some attention) I've had parents concerned their kids were hanging around me, a stranger, I try to introduce myself where appropriate and be kind to those I meet.

I've had some folks be distrustful of me when I've knocked on their door and such. On occasion, they can be rude. I understand their concern, i am a stranger to them. I've had small town Sheriffs come talk to me and I introduce myself and make every attempt to put them at ease.

People being aggressive towards me? No. I'm tall so I don't typically get that. And again, I always try to be friendly, like I'd want people to be to me so I think that helps.

It is nice being 'left alone' to do my thing when I'm hunting a park or such, i'm able to get more accomplished not being interrupted. But, we live in a social world where we get to interact with everybody else so i try to make the best of it. If I think I'm having a bad day and not very social, there are places i can hunt where I'm less likely to interact.

UtahRich
People get more hostility from others on this forum than the public when out detecting lol

Just the usual "do you have permission?", and "your're not going to find anything" and once a camp host quickly walked passed the tot lot and said "you're not suppose to be doing that". I kept "doing that".
We get some real Karens around here really bad and women outnumber men lol.
Ive had some actually take a picture of me and threaten to call the police.
One time after work i would usually stop
to get a bite to eat frequently at a restaurant i wont name. But i would make a few phone calls in my car before going in. The restaurant happened to be next door to a salon.
Went in sat down as i ate noticed some guy behind my car taking pictures in the parking lot. Went out and he flipped out on me saying he was calling the police and saying all this threatening stuff. He gets back in his car and leaves so I go back in to finish my food and next thing i know the police showed up and came in and got me asked me to go outside.
They said a lady who works in the salon next door told them i would come around and stalk her. That I would sit in my car and watch her lol. You couldn’t even see in the windows.
And the guy was her husband who she called.
The people in the restaurant knew me as a regular and I showed them how I would have to make calls for work and sometimes i did that before i ate.
That day I actually had my wife with me but i had dropped her off at a store further down in the plaza she wanted to go shopping while i got a bite to eat.
My wife come walking down as the cops were asking me stuff and she was like wtf to them.
The lady came out and got in her husband’s car that’s the first time i had seen her and my wife laughed at the police and said “you think he was looking at that”
Believe me not someone who i would look at sorry to say.
But not the first time i was somewhere around here minding my business and someone acting like the public place was their private property.
I don’t know what kind of drugs these people are on but definitely one of those that cause bad paranoia. WOW.

We get some real Karens around here really bad and women outnumber men lol.
Ive had some actually take a picture of me and threaten to call the police.
One time after work i would usually stop
to get a bite to eat frequently at a restaurant i wont name. But i would make a few phone calls in my car before going in. The restaurant happened to be next door to a salon.
Went in sat down as i ate noticed some guy behind my car taking pictures in the parking lot. Went out and he flipped out on me saying he was calling the police and saying all this threatening stuff. He gets back in his car and leaves so I go back in to finish my food and next thing i know the police showed up and came in and got me asked me to go outside.
They said a lady who works in the salon next door told them i would come around and stalk her. That I would sit in my car and watch her lol. You couldn’t even see in the windows.
And the guy was her husband who she called.
The people in the restaurant knew me as a regular and I showed them how I would have to make calls for work and sometimes i did that before i ate.
That day I actually had my wife with me but i had dropped her off at a store further down in the plaza she wanted to go shopping while i got a bite to eat.
My wife come walking down as the cops were asking me stuff and she was like wtf to them.
The lady came out and got in her husband’s car that’s the first time i had seen her and my wife laughed at the police and said “you think he was looking at that”
Believe me not someone who i would look at sorry to say.
But not the first time i was somewhere around here minding my business and someone acting like the public place was their private property.
I don’t know what kind of drugs these people are on but definitely one of those that cause bad paranoia. WOW.
There seems to be more hostility from people these days for sure. I have been accosted and received threats many times in recent years. I was attacked and threated
with violence only three weeks ago from a street drunk. Lots of stressed up people about for sure.

I had one instance where I was parked alongside the road two women showed up in a huff. They were afraid that we were going up on the hill behind their house. They refused to leave until we got back in my truck and left. They were both pretty belligerent and bold, but we did manage to get some information out of them that lead us to the area where we really wanted to be. We made some good finds that day. Another time we were detecting an abandoned property in the middle of nowhere when a woman showed up and asked if we had permission to be there. I replied that being in the middle of nowhere, who would I ask and who would care, that's when she told me that she owned the property. I was polite, as I always am until it's time to not be, she then asked me if we had found anything. Over the years I have been booted out by the police many times, fortunately only a few times on a threat.

One thing I can say, no one should mess with a guy with a Lesche long handled serrated digging shovel, that thing is like a weapon of an ancient warrior....lol.

Last edited:
I had one instance where I was parked alongside the road two women showed up in a huff. They were afraid that we were going up on the hill behind their house. They refused to leave until we got back in my truck and left. They were both pretty belligerent and bold, but we did manage to get some information out of them that lead us to the area where we really wanted to be. We made some good finds that day. Another time we were detecting an abandoned property in the middle of nowhere when a woman showed up and asked if we had permission to be there. I replied that being in the middle of nowhere, who would I ask and who would care, that's when she told me that she owned the property. I was polite, as I always am until it's time to not be, she then asked me if we had found anything. Over the years I have been booted out by the police many times, fortunately only a few times on a threat.

One thing I can say, no one should mess with a guy with a Lesche long handled serrated digging shovel, that thing is like a weapon of an ancient warrior....lol.
Yeah i have the lesche and it is pretty intimidating lol
I can understand being on private property getting harassed, somewhere people normally wouldn’t be draws attention and suspicion, but where all my episodes were in public places like parks or shopping centers. As I said some people think a public space is their own private property. A bit of paranoia a bit of narcissism alot of nothing better to do with their lives and business.

On the other hand, i was detecting the swimming beach of a drained lake when 2 attractive young women in bikini tops walked all the way down the hill and asked me 'where'd the water go', and in my dumbest dumb and dumber moment i told them where another beach was, instead of inviting them back to my baby pool on the deck just a few miles down the road. I skunked myself that day.

Hi everyone, had my share of experiences over the years. I was doing a night hunt at the beach over the weekend when a couple naked women wanted to know if I wanted to party with them, ran into a couple copperhead snakes, had a couple guys stalking me when they saw the tip of my pin pointer thinking it was a weapon, they bolted, had one guy throw out some coins in front of me while detecting thinking that I needed the money and just a lot of folks asking me if I found anything. I did get to know a lot of regulars who detect the beach on a regular basis and would get to know them pretty good.
TRIPL-SSS

Friendly Aggression: Back about 11 years ago... my club was hunting a local park... I had set my whites 6000 di pro/sl against a tree while a few of us were comparing finds... In my case.... it was the usual bits of chopped up cans... and bottle caps... A dog off his leash (beautiful ditsy golden retriever) came bouncing along an knocked the 6000 over.... which then ceased to work:sick2:... the owner was sorry and briefly interested in metal detecting...and blah blah blah leashed the dog and left... when I finally sucked it up and did surgery on the 6000... I found the impact had shattered the DISC Potentiometer at the back of the unit... And.... it was a weird little guy.. 🦔 I couldn't get it from whites at that time... I finally found... of all things... the same POT was used in electric guitars... Crazy right????.... 14.99 including shipping... got it installed... and I still use my 6000 dime finder to this day... Lesson Learned: Always Keep A Hand On The Detector 👋
Interesting little story.
Nice happy save.

Bullshit sir.

30+ years of law enforcement. Not once have I known an officer desperate to shoot anyone (or be in a lethal encounter in the first place). You might be surprised to know, there's a bunch of us that metal detect. We metal detect for the same reasons as everyone here, share the same joys and frustrations as everyone else here. When authority is abused, we don't like it either.
May I ask your opinion then.
After an accident at work which put me in bed for 3 1/2 years. Costing us our home,, land,, Everything.
I actually got back into metal detecting to help in recovery. The home was built in 1860. A beautiful farm house. As I poked around the property I discovered it was loaded with coins and treasure's.
Thousands of hot signals. From large cents and coppers to more Indian heads than I've ever seen.
To many to dig in my current state.
I could only do a couple digs a night after hobbling around a hundred ft or so. Left most everything in the ground. Just focused on the Indian heads which my Whites MXT had a liking to with perfect lock on.
The one family owners I purchased it from apparently had never let anyone detect it.

After the bankruptcy. The home and acreage were to go to sheriff auction.

Took months but I was able to get written permission to go back and detect the property.
I've worked midnight shifts most of my career as an emergency responder. Couldn't sleep much at night. So I went to the property between 2&3 in the morning. As I'm approaching the property a sheriff deputy comes pulling out and drives off.
Got my machine out.
Poked all around the property.
Not a signal to be heard.
I asked neighbor's and it turns out he had been their every night almost since the day we moved out cleaning it out.
I contacted the mortgage company.
They gave no one else permission.
Filed a complaint with the county.
Nothing.
Hardly a response.
" You no longer owner of the property."

Is this common practice of sheriff departments ?

And the most disgusting thing to me.
My son was not allowed to bid on the property at the auction. A home worth well over $200,000.
Went for $27,000 to a county worker. 😢