Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Having a hard time. Needs some advice!!!!!!

ninjaswinger

Well this is my Problem
I own a Used Gold Bug 2 with 10" & 6 1/2" Coils Because I live up in the mountains of Northern Calli. Near Jamestown CA (Gold Country)
I cant not find anything and i am getting discouraged.
I was thinking about selling my GB2 and buying a Pro or SE or maybe even saving up for a F70 or F75?
I work a lot better when I can see a number on a screen so i don't have to dig every nail or beer can.
Should I try to learn my GB2 because it is the best on gold and that is what most of my hunting is for, or go with something that will save me from giving up all together lol?

Thanks for your Idea's

ninjaswinger --

Are you a new detectorist? If so, a GB2 may not be the best machine. Yes, it is a very sensitive machine and can find extremely small gold pieces, but its sensitivity is also a handicap in some ways -- it will find EVERY bit of metal trash, rust flake, etc. Can be very frustrating. If you don't have alot of detecting experience, and want to find naturally-occurring gold, you have chosen, to me, a most difficult pursuit -- trying to learn to detect, while looking for something that is relatively rare, with an extremely sensitive machine. My best advice would be to find an old mine, and hunt the tailing piles, if you can find them. I hear this is a good way for detectorists to find some occasional small gold.

The Gold Bug Pro/Se or F70/F75, though very good, sensitive machines which can do a good job finding gold, will not be as sensitive to the very smallest gold. BUT, they will give you the ability to discriminate nails, and to have some numerical information. Plus, if you are relatively new to detecting, the "multi-purpose" characteristics of these detectors would allow you to use them in local parks, schoolyards, etc. to find coins -- thus helping you learn detecting in general.

Steve

If there is a metal detecting club in your area. Join it. Many experienced metal detector people there will be happy to show you what you should know about metal detecting. If you are a beginner, you picked a difficult site to hunt. Hunt for coins in a local park until you learn what the detector is telling you......Jack

ninjaswinger said:
whites gmt,,or mxt,,
Well this is my Problem
I own a Used Gold Bug 2 with 10" & 6 1/2" Coils Because I live up in the mountains of Northern Calli. Near Jamestown CA (Gold Country)
I cant not find anything and i am getting discouraged.
I was thinking about selling my GB2 and buying a Pro or SE or maybe even saving up for a F70 or F75?
I work a lot better when I can see a number on a screen so i don't have to dig every nail or beer can.
Should I try to learn my GB2 because it is the best on gold and that is what most of my hunting is for, or go with something that will save me from giving up all together lol?

Thanks for your Idea's

Thanks Guys
Yes I am New to MDing
I think i over researched it and went for the MOST sens. machine and now I am having a hard time learning it alone.
There are some MDing people around here but they are all White's people. Not that I am saying they are White, they all use whites machines :)
So you think I would be happier with a Gold Bug Pro/Se or F70/F75 until I master one of those?

Thanks Again

ninjaswinger------If you are ONLY hunting for gold, the GB2 is a very good machine and it has an "iron check" (which is good if not overused)---but the GB2 is a dedicated gold machine.----I owned/used the GB2 with the two coils you mentioned & it excels at finding small gold.-----If you are wanting a detector that does VERY good in gold/relic & coin hunting applications----I would HIGHLY recommend the G2 or GBSE.---You mentioned you do better with screen #'s & these two machines have that feature.-----You won't however be going by #'s when you are gold hunting as there are FAR too many variables.------I definitely WOULD NOT recommend the F-75 (or even F-70) to a beginner such as yourself.--------Bottom line---the G2 or GBSE are simple to use, very effective AND FUN detectors to use.---You will not be sorry or become discouraged purchasing/using either one of them.------The main thing is, whatever detector you choose---get out there & get the experience (hours behind the thing)---that's the best "teacher" that you will EVER have!-----------Del

Where you live has great potential, right now I am in Placerville. One thing to help cut down your trash and maybe increase your finds is to hunt creeks with allot of bedrock exposed and ignore everything except the crevasses and cracks. Most the time any thing in these locations is gold or fishing lead. (Use a small DD coil if you have it) Lots of black sand as well but you will learn to Id that sound after a while and pick out good targets within. Get a nice set of crevasing tools and a sturdy little bar and carry a small pan for the soil you clean from the cracks, there can be allot of fines mixed in where you find small detectable nuggets.
There are some good sites as well on the net to help you to read the terrain and rivers when they were at high flood lines and pick areas that would have been low pressure zones during those times as that is where the gold is. The other thing if you can afford it is to keep your GB2 and get a multipurpose machine to complement it. I started out with a gold master 3 as my first machine and I was in the same spot as you. It took me months to make my first find and it was only after receiving the exact advice that I gave about the crevasses that I found my first nugget.
Good luck out there and don't give up it takes allot of work to find raw gold. Honestly your chances are better with a sluice box and a little research. Nuggets large enough to detect at any depth are few and far between and the only places Ive found shallow gold is in tailing piles.
HH
godigit

ninjaswinger said:
Thanks Guys
Yes I am New to MDing
So you think I would be happier with a Gold Bug Pro/Se or F70/F75 until I master one of those?

Thanks Again

Answer to this question is do you want to do more then hunt gold? If so, then out get a G2 or GBSE and this will allow you to do both. :thumbup:

One book that talks about detecting for gold is "Follow the Drywashers" by Jim Straight. Even the latest version is a little dated on the detectors referenced, but it still has a lot of very applicable information. I have not gotten to the most likely gold areas, but have still found the information in the book very useful for detecting in general as well as inspiring.

See if you can find a copy of the book used for a reasonable price and give it a read. A very quick search I just did produced prices of from $25 to $150 and versions from 1990 to the third version from 2001. So if you are so inclined, do some shopping and see if you can get a version 3 for a good price.

Not so sure I'd just change up detectors if you want to hunt gold, but maybe step back and think about what is learned from each hunt and try to focus on any positive finds, how they were found and try to figure out positive patterns to finding good targets. It frequently takes finding a lot of junk to find the treasure and to learn about where to hunt, how to hunt and what the detector is trying to tell you. It also take time and practice to learn to read sites and it is a constant learning exercise. People who have been hunting for decades still remark on new things learned.

So you only gold hunt? I live in Ione not too far from you and any gold areas with creeks where the miners may have been tend to have relics...We hunt relics but near a lot of talings where they dug for gold in the 1840s. The LTD or F70 not for gold the G2 is the best at relic and gold for the price. You have to get the 5DD for nugget hunting.

I would hunt relic's I just have never done it.
I am from MI, I moved out here 3 1/2 years ago and love it here in GOLD country so I figured I need to get out there and find some gold :)
I have a friend that metal Detects with a whites so I thought I would kick his butt. Well I am off to a slow start but I am not a quitter.
I am new at it so what is the G2? is that Gold Bug 2 or Gold Bug Pro?
Also perhaps something is wrong with my detector settings?

Thanks Again guys
WE WILL FIND SOME GOLD SOMEDAY!

It is TEK version of the new gold bug..Great hunter for everything.