Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

HB2078, Got this from the Troy Forum, Thought you would like to read it.

A

Anonymous

This is written by someone from COVA
Mr. Daniels,
I am writing in response to recent postings on this forum and to individuals who have taken the time to contact me directly with their concerns about the archaeological community's stand on HB2078 and broader differences between archaeology as practiced as a profession in the Commonwealth and the interests of hobbyists. Let me begin by explaining that the preservation, study, and interpretation of Virginia's rich cultural heritage raises strong emotions among our membership, and that we have not always been as careful as we need to be in distinguishing between legal relic hunting and illegal activities in our private discussions. While COVA discourages relic hunting for the damage it typically causes archaeological sites, whether inadvertent or otherwise, we recognize the distinction between legal relic hunting and looting which is illegal by definition. We fully intend to make the distinction more clearly in the future and plan to amend the unofficial minutes of our Fall meeting before their adoption by the COVA membership. I regret that I or other members of COVA may have offended members of your community by suggesting otherwise and assure you we will be more careful in our language in the future.
The purpose of the Council of Virginia Archaeologists is the preservation and study of Virginia's archaeological resources. The Council fosters public awareness, knowledge, and support for the preservation of Virginia archaeology; advances knowledge through dissemination of information on Virginia's archaeological resources; facilitates interaction between the communities of professional and avocational archaeologists in Virginia; and acts as an independent professional advisory group for the Virginia Department of Historic Resources. The majority of Council members are professional archaeologists, although professionals in affiliated disciplines and avocational archaeologists are welcome to join.
Some resources at our site that you may find helpful in understanding our work and our philosophy include our bylaws and the draft guidelines for work undertaken in compliance with State-funded projects. When finalized, this document will serve as a standard that we hope all members, working in the public or private sectors, will achieve or surpass.
Archaeology is a broad profession that encompasses a range of work experiences and areas of expertise. What unites us is a common belief that archaeological sites are fragile, non-renewable resources that should be managed through a balance of long-term preservation and research-oriented excavation, analysis and curation. We are actively committed to using archaeological resources, including field records, artifact catalogues, laboratory reports, curated collections, publications and other media to learn and to teach about Virginia's past. Our goal is not to collect artifacts for their own sake or to "store away in an inaccessible basement" as so many of my recent correspondents have claimed. It is to preserve and to use all of the multiple sources of written (when available) and physical evidence to understand the people who lived in Virginia in the past, whether they lived here 5,000 or 50 years ago.
To that end, the Council is involved in a variety of preservation, education and research initiatives in Virginia. Our support of HB2078 is one of them.
Over the coming months, Council members will be working to better define our goals in approaching future legislative efforts. While it is clear that our community and yours share some important values, including deep interest in Virginia's past and frustration with the rapidity with which places associated with that past are being lost to development and other threats, it is also clear that we have some fundamental differences in how and under what conditions history is preserved. Future dialogues may move us closer together, and I appreciate the willingness that some members of your group have voiced to meet with COVA and represent your viewpoints. I will certainly present these offers at our upcoming membership meeting. In order to cover the broad range of topics we typically address at each meeting, we do not have time to consider complex issues in depth, and often refer them to committee. As a point of clarification, our meetings are for members and invited guests, and I urge you to respect our rules. However, COVA always welcomes the thoughts and concerns of people interested in Virginia's cultural heritage, and we invite you to share them with us via mail or email.
Thank you for the opportunity to address your group.
Sincerely,
Barbara J. Heath, Ph.D.
President, Council of Virginia Archaeologists

sounds like the same double talk i got about the new jersey law. the first sentence in the jersey law stated that "this bill is intended to protect certain archeological sites within the state". the very next sentence to the law bans metal detecting on all of state property. if you give these toads an inch you can expect that they will take the whole nine yards. trust them? hell no. they sell their bill of goods by mouthing the phrase to protect our cultural heritage and educating the populace. how are they going to do that by leaving all of these artifacts underground? what you see in museums is less than a tenth of what they have that we never see. the majority of their relics are packed in cases stored in basements and are never viewed by the public. why don't they take these artifacts out of boxes and rebury them so people that are really interested in our cultural history can find them and enjoy them?

This bill is not just about State Parks and National Historical Sites. This will give the STATE the right to declare personal property (Your Land) a Hisorical Site and Dictate what you can do with it!!!!! This will affect more than Detectorist. VIRGINIA WAKE UP