Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

HD Phones for 70 ?

Mark L

I recently bought a 70. Any suggestions on what headphones perform the best with this detector? Thanks, Mark

it depeds on what you heaering is like we al have difrent

I like my ultimate gray ghosts headphones with my Xterra 70. I also have two pairs of R.A.T. phones that I use with my Explorer II but they seem to work as well on the XT70. Also, the gray ghosts don't work quit as well on the EXII as the R.A.T. phones. I haven't tried any other brands of headphones yet. Since the ones I have work perfectly, why bother? You will hear a lot of different opinions on this and they will all be right depending on the persons view and preferences.

I know a lot of X-Terra 70 users don't actually bother with the earphones. I've not done so either but I was kicking myself when trying to detect under trees filled with singing 'Cicadas' last week. I could barely hear a signal! The same applies when near a beach due to the sound of the Surf.

Is there a genuine advantage with using headphones in quieter places where background noise is not an issue? Some claim you can hear fainter signals but what's the general consensus with the X-Terra 70?

Kinda pricey, but I use the Detector Pro Uni Probe Headphone/Pinpointer. A detector within the headphones. They work great then when you want to pinpoint/probe, just flick a switch and use the attached probe. I got these because Sunray does not have a inline probe for the X70. I have never detected without headphones, I like to focus on the threshold and I could not do that without them. I also have used Killer Bees and they work excellent too:minelab:

Any of the better quality headphones will perform best with your X-Terra. It's a matter of preference. I prefer the UniProbe and my second choice would be Gray Ghost No Down Times.

With any detector if you're not using headphones you're missing targets.

A quality set of headphones will not provide tones that the speaker doesn't also provide. But, you can interpret those tones much better without having to listen to a variety of external noises. For that reason, I do believe you will be better able to hear the sounds produced by your detector than if you weren't using headphones. Frankly, I can't imagine hunting without a good set of headphones.

I like my Gray Ghost Originals. Although there are several good makes and models available, I prefer the Gray Ghosts for several reasons. First and foremost, they fit my huge melon! (hat size 7 3/4). They fit well and the padded ear cup pads (which are replaceable) make them comfortable enough for those "all day" hunts. They block out nearly all of the outside noise. (traffic, wind, curious onlookers, etc). and allow me to concentrate on only what the detector is reporting. They reproduce all of the audible sounds of my detectors very well. They will work with either mono or stereo detectors by simply flipping the toggle switch. They have adjustable volume controls. (But I always run mine wide open. ) They have a sound limiter circuit so you don't get your ears "knocked off" by that shallow aluminum can! They have a 90-degree plug and the coil cord is very rigid. All of DetectorPro headphones are quality products!

As I said, others make good headphones too. I just happen to like my Gray Ghosts the best. JMHO HH Randy

I purchased Sunray Pro Golds with my -70. I like them... comfortable, pretty good at blocking out noise - but not too much, so you can still hear outside noises that you need to hear - well made. Kinda pricy though, around $100.00 but definately worth it. Just my opinion though, as I don't know how they stack up against some of the others. Has anyone else used them, that might have a better opinion on how they compare with some of the other brands/models??

Cors

I wear the Sun Ray Golds also. I really like them. Very comfortable and fit my big noggin well. I like the big ole deep muff style over the longer slender style. When it comes to headphones it really is all a personal thing.

I have hearing loss in my left ear and really need the earphones to hear the sounds, Beale.

Folks, I'm seriously interested in getting headphones if that will make a difference with using my X-70.

So far, I feel I can hear targets when I pass over them as long as the cicadas are not out and I'm not near the beach. I've even used my ipod earphones on the X-70 but noticed nothing special. I realise that dedicated detector headphones are the way to go... so can anyone tell me what differences I might notice when using headphones compared to the detail in the sound on my X-Terra 70's built-in speaker?

Thru the years I've used a variety of different headphones. Like detectors, which ones work the best for YOU, is highly personal. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that any of the headphones made by the top companies(Grey ghost, sunray, Killer B's to name 3 off the top of my head) will serve you well. I've owned all of those and liked them. Do you want single volume control or control for each ear?? Do you want a limiter switch for large surface objects or not? Color preference?
The list of options can get pretty long. Try on a bunch and see which one feels best on you. Stay with quality headphones and you can't go wrong no matter which brand you choose. Good luck and HH. Bob.

Marco,
If I didn't have head phones I wouldn't go detecting.
It is the faintest sounds you are waiting for whether it be target angle or
target just on maximum depth. Go to your local detector supplier and
look at the Koss range. I can't remember seeing any one in the bush
not wearing Koss. I thought they were made in USA and a little surprised
our friends overseas did not mention them. Maybe they are branded for Australia.
All the best.
happy hunting
gold rat

I think headphones can be a bit of a con. you don,t have to spend a lot for a good set of phones for detecting, I think BT uses a thirty dollar pair.
kris

I have been using the Gray Ghost phones by DetectorPro with my X-Terra 70 and have been very pleased with them.