Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

heading to southwest asia

mblemmy

Well i have decided to take a job overseas for a year. i will be either in kuwait, iraq or afghanstan. basically where ever i am needed. dont know if i am able to take a detector with me or not..... not really sure of the laws over there... i will be staying on one of the military bases. if anyone knows if any other hunters are over there i would like to hear from them. thanks

mikeB
e-trac @excal user

Good luck over there. I know some guys in the EOD that look for highly elusive targets. Other then that I can't help. Be safe and have a good time.

Iraq and Afghanistan - you are probably never going to get off the base, at least not without body armor and a weapon.

Kuwait. I am pretty sure that the police would promptly arrest you if they saw you. They would suppose you were either engaged in espionage, terrorism or otherwise up to no good. Nothing in the mid east belongs to "nobody". What you find, another has lost, it doesn't stop being his.

There's a great story from a time 60 or 75 years ago when a Saudi official named Ibn Jalawi was governor of the eastern provice of Saudi Arabia. A bedouin was brought before him accused of theft. The man protested that all he had done was to kick an empty paper bag lying in the street with his foot. Ibn J answered that "when you kicked that bag you committed theft - you kicked it to see if it contained something of value - which you would then take". They cut off his right foot.

My advice after living in Arabia for going on 19 years is leave your metal detector at home and take up reading.

Best of luck - and thanks for your contribution to GWOT

Rick K

n/t

Well,,,, just as i was getting prepared to go to SW asia I got a job offer which i had applied for some time ago,, in charleston SC carolina which is a bit better money and in more keeping with my profession. dont get the big tax advantages but then again i shouldnt have to dodge as many bullets..... and im sure there is some good tr hunting there as well..

mikeB

Talk about backwards thinking countries.:detecting:

Joel,

some might say your nothing but a racist pig, ignoring the cultural sensibilities of a proud and noble race, steeped in tradition extending back a couple of millenium.

But then again.... some might say that indeed some races need to divest themselves of the traditions and beliefs of the dark ages and embrace whats considered to be adequate punishment for misdemeanours in the civilised world.

Cheers.

Lou.

Lou from downunder said:
Joel,

some might say your nothing but a racist pig, ignoring the cultural sensibilities of a proud and noble race, steeped in tradition extending back a couple of millenium.

But then again.... some might say that indeed some races need to divest themselves of the traditions and beliefs of the dark ages and embrace whats considered to be adequate punishment for misdemeanours in the civilised world.

Cheers.

Lou.

:cheers: