Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

headlamp question

fongu

I'm trying to figure out what size headlamp I need and welcome advice from any members about this. I need something to use early in the morning or after dark and while walking to and from locations where I need to get in and out before daylight and after dark. I've looked at headlamps from 90 watts to 250 watts and battery life of 12 hours or more for the low watt units to 5 hours for the 250 headlamps. I want to be able to see ahead of me and around me for snakes, wild hogs and places I could trip and hurt myself, but not sure if I need the 250 watt light. None of these use rechargeable batteries and I just need to balance what I need for safety versus costs.

I use this for deer hunting and a lot of other things, works great http://www.walmart.com/ip/Energizer-HDD32EW-Energizer-250-Lumen-Vision-HD-and-Focus-Headlight/45300886 Don't get upset when this thread is moved because it is not a Garrett AT question.

That's pretty well the same type I use. Costs little, works well and the battery time id real good too.

I USE mine on the BEACH for Night Detecting!! I DON'T remember the Model, but they SOLD for around $15 in Home Depot and Lowe's, and they HAD (3) or (4) Different Settings!!
HOPE this H-E-L-P-S!! Les Robinson.

Be careful when looking for the Energizer, they make several models sold in the same package. Look for the one that has the 250 Lumens on the package or you might end up with only a 80, 150, or 200 lumen lamp and not the 250. I have to go check this one out it just might replace my ROAM (keep reading)...NOW...BUT let me finish here.

In my 30+ years water detecting I have used several "flashlights". Incandescent and halogen no longer have a place in my house - gone to LED lighting. Today I have three LED lights that I would not do without (unless I need to replace one).
Two are Princeton lights, both are waterproof. The Impact II is a handheld flashlight 65 lumens and 50 hour run time, twist on / off and I hang it around my neck on a piece of nylon cord. The second is the Princeton Roam a "headlamp" 100 lumens and 18 hours run time, twist on / off, worn on the head with straps.

My third is a "KILLER" no brand name, but search for 15000 lumen 9x CREE XM-L2 LEDs on the internet and you will find it. The lamp alone is reasonably price, but the rechargeable battery is a bit pricey. I have two battery packs as on HI a charged pack only last about 2 hours. The lamp does have HI-MED-LO brightness settings and a strobe setting. It is NOT waterproof, so I keep the battery pack inside my waders and do not dunk my head in the water. A splash will not harm the unit, it is just not submersible like my other two go to lights. BUT this light will light up the neighborhood, scare snakes and boars away and will attract fish. At least it allows the fish to be seen at night. The target digging and disturbing the sea bed actually attracts the fish as they look for food. Word of caution with this lamp, it is heavy for wearing on you head, although I have and use the head mount for it. The battery pack (6x18650 Li-Ion cells) is wired and hangs off your belt or inside waders. way too heavy for head mounting. Whereas the ROAM has 2AA cells in the lamp casing.

OK, now you know my weapons. Here is what I look for:
MUST have HIGH intensity LED(s) - 1052 lm are great CREE XM-L2
Lumens is the light output measurement that you should compare. I have a 65 - good for in the water, 100 - better for water and land. Newer head units are above the 200 mark and that is were my next headlamp mount will be spec'd at.
LEDs like at least 2.85 to be useful. This is where more cells in the battery pack give longer run times (more voltage and current).
A 6 volt power system (4AA batteries). The Impact II has 6v, the ROAM only 3v (2AA) and the KILLER 8v rechargeable Li-Ion (6x 18650) pack. A 6x 20650 pack would be much better for twice the run time, only price holding me back right now - that is why I have 2 packs. And the Energizer 250 is powered by 3AA cells (4.5v)
Weight: not much concern if worn around your neck, but on the head, the lighter the better...but you will give up run time with lighter weight units (including battery (pack or cells).

Good luck. Have a miners style one but have never hunted at night. Might give it a try here somtime....but not while in the UK. Take care youz!

Thanks everybody. Think I will try the 250 model from Wal-Mart and it's a LED also. Fits my budget. HH.