Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Headphone cushions ?

Anyone had any experience finding replacement cushions for headphones? I finally decided to try "again" to see if I could find some replacement pads for my Koss TD 81 headphones, and am not having a lot of luck. I did talk to a nice lady on Koss's website and thought I had done some good ,but when I checked the pic of the ones she told me to order, they do not appear to be the ones I need.I then found Koss's support and repair site and emailed them the question. I have the feeling I am chasing my tail, and thought I would throw it out to the forum and see what happened. Oh, and I found nothing on ebay, but I never seem to have much luck there either. The Koss 81's are great phones but their "pneumalite"cushions are as functional as door nobs on a swing set, ?? Yeah , that's pretty useless ! Thanks, Charlie

Boy, can't help you there. But I'm surprised as I have an older pair of detector phones by Koss and they were able to supply me with a perfect match on new cushions.
BB

Hi BB,I'm really surprized too,because the TD 81's were highly reccomended as "the" best phones for the Tejon when it first came out. Wasn't long after that the 81's were dropped from the Koss line and became hard to find.When I did find some I went ahead and bought 2 pair. Dang "pneumalite"(dumb idea to begin with) pads never were what they were supposed to be,but the pair I have used for several years still work great with the TJ. but are very uncomfortable. I still have a pair NIB I never used and thought it should be no real problem to replace the pads.on both phones.I will have to check again with the lady, or someone else at Koss and see if maybe they can help more. .I would have surely thought someone else would have solved that pad problem by now.Lol, probably have and it's old news by now,but me being old and slow now, I got left in the dust, HH, Charlie

Charlie,
Not sure if these will fit. headphone gel pads Probably have to glue them on.

There are some references to other more expensive gel pads in the modifications forum and in the Excal forum. Some of the guys are adding these gel pads to the headset for comfort as well as better noise isolation on the water detectors.
Cheers,
tvr

Hi Andy, thanks for the info, but the more I think on it I realize I will need some exact measurements for good replacement pads or my little ears will be jamup on the speakers. From what I have learned , Koss is much like Tesoro and have some really good customer relations. A goodly portion(maybe all?) of their products are now, or at one time Warranteed for Life .The 81s' have Lifetime Warrantee. Phones are still working great and my only complaint is that the "pneumalite" pads just do not work for me. One of them deflated soon after I started using them. I just need some simple made to fit foam pads that fit their"cans" and I was hoping it not to require me ship the phones to them and then back to me. I hope to find out more later in the week if I can talk to a Repair Tek at Koss. Lol, it is to hot to hunt here, so I have time to do some jury rigging if I have to, but sure do not want to "gumm up" my great phones with some duct tape redneck rigging, as I am of a habit to sometimes do. No, no, I don't want that! HH, Charlie

Charlie,
LOL ... I've redneck rigged a few things in my life just to get going at the moment (further up north about 30 years ago we called it farm fixed; bailing wire has plenty of useful applications!). Very humid and in the mid-90's here today. I went in the water (tidal creek) for about 3 hours. $1.17 in change, two bottle caps, 5 pull tabs from soda cans, a few other pieces of junk and 14 fishing weights. No gold or silver, but it was some relaxing exercise. Water was comfortable, not too warm yet, but not cool either. I had heard the jelly fish were making their way in, but I did not run across any. Guess they aren't all the way up the creek yet.
Good luck to you! I hope I'm still detecting when I catch up to you in years!
Cheers,
tvr (a.k.a. Andy)

PS got three wheat pennies in the water. Two were pretty thin from sand abrasion. Where there are thin wheats there must be some silver lurking! I'll be back there!

That was almost to easy when I called Koss again and got some more info. Koss folks remind me of the Tesoro folks.Great folks are they all! Unless there is some unforseen malfunctuion, the TD 80 Pads are the proper replacements for the TD 81's. I think the lady said I had a choice of either the pneumalite or Leatherett covered foam, so I ordered 2 pair of foam. Now my unused set will be ready when my Son or Grandson have need of them. $5 a pair and that is as fair as it gets! Now if my hearing test at the VA in a couple of weeks allow any new Tech do dads that will help my hearing I will really be looking forward (come winter) to hearing from some new dirt in a couple of really good ole sites I have pounded. HH, Charlie

Headphone pads can be made from real leather and glued on. Cut 2 oval leather donuts, glue them to the original leatherette pads. The original pads won't be covered completely, the sides all around will still be visible. The real leather will be against your head and ears and your headphones will feel comfortable once again. Leather won't crack, stays soft and lasts forever.