Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Headphone preference

A

Anonymous

I was wondering what headphones you prefered with your MXT?

Killer B's. Stinger Single headphone- Excellent
HH Richard

When I use the MXT I use the Timberwolfs as I need the volume they have, now when my wife uses the MXT she has a set of the Killer Bees she uses as she has great hearing.
I think if you stay with one of major brand of premium headphones any one of them will be good. I have used the Gray Ghost and the Uniprobe on the MXT too and they are very good and tried a set of the new Sunray Headphones to see how they would sound on the MXT and my Explorer and found they work very well with one of the more comfortable sets. I think if I switched headphone it would be to the new Sunrays.
Rick

Here are my impressions and comparison testing on three of the top headphones out there for sale: Timberwolf Howlers, Grey Ghost NDT's, Killer Bee Wasps.
1) Timberwolf Howlers----For outside noise reduction the Timberwolves are the best. They reduce noise noticeable better, but the all-metal mode threshold audio is a bit muffled. These I use mostly for noisy locales, or on windy days. I can tell an obvious difference in outside noise reduction using these headphones.
2) Grey Ghost NDT--- Good noise reduction, but not as good as the Timberwolves. Much better than the Killer Bee Wasp noise reduction though. The threshold is just a bit more clear and stronger than the Timberwolves, very close to the Killer Bee's at the LOWER audio levels. These also come in a choice of 2 detachable cables. One in 1/4 inch, and one in 1/8 inch. Or choose two of one size. This model also has a built-in sound limiter for loud responses on large or near surface targets. It muffles the audio at that time to save your ears from painfully high db levels.
3) Killer Bee's----Worst noise reduction of the three. The threshold audio is close to the Grey Ghost's, and slightly better than the Timberwolves. This model has a toggle for the sound limiter unlike the Grey Ghosts. This can make a difference depending on the detector used. With sound limiter ON they are very close to the Grey Ghosts, but when its OFF you get a clearer & cleaner audio target response, especially on louder targets. They do seem to have a slightly cleaner sound overall as I had heard before buying them, however, the poorer noise reduction of the ear cups does not win me over. They are comfortable headphones, and if noise reduction is NOT important, these are a good buy.

White's E-Series 9000's. Ultra comfortable (oversized and heavily padded earmuffs fit on your head, and don't smash your ears) dual volume control, 100 ohm impedance, 101 decibel output, really the thing for hearing those faint signals from tiny or deep targets. HH Jim

I use killer b's find them to be excellent,with crisp sound and lots of volume.
Happy Hunting

I use the Timberwolf LOBO's nice fit, great sound
and they have the limiter switch, only one volume control which I like because it is much faster to control the volume with one knob than it is with two.

Hey Gamer, great comparison survey, thanks,and hh.
I use the Timberwolves Brushmaster, and like them alot.

OK, now that everyone has posted their preference and many have commented that we should really try one for fit and comfort before buying.
Where the heck can a person go to find a selection of headphones to see which ones feel good or sound good?
Any one local dealer usually does not have much of a selection and most of us are not lucky enough to have a major dealer in their home town.
It seems to boil down to make your best pick and order it on the internet. I guess if you don't try any others you don't know what you are missing and learn to use and appreciate what you have in hand.
If you like it then you start telling everyone that it is the greatest. If you don't, you quietly keep looking and trying your TH buddies headphones to see how theirs feel and sound.

For fit the Gray Ghost, Timberwolfs and Killer Bees all fit about the same. The Timberwolfs are the loudest for us that need the volume and the Killer bees and the Gray Ghost all have plenty of volumes for those not hard of hearing. If you need a pinpointing probe too the Uniprobe are built with the same comfort and fit the same too, plus seem to have some very good volume and tone qualitys.
One I havent mentioned was the new Sunrays headphones, I only had a short test with them and found they may be a little more comfortable than the others.The volume was very good along with the tone quality.
I have the Timberwolfs myself I use, my wife uses the Killer bees on her MXT and I also have a Uniprobe for my detectors i dont have a Sunray probe for. If I was to buy another set they would be the new SunRays as i feel they would meet my volume needs and be more comfortable.
Rick