Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

HEADPHONES

Buck

Just picked up a 705 the other day. (was between the MXT and 705, 705 won!!!) Going to be buying some headphones and a pinpointer. So, what do you folks say about the loudest headphones for the 705?? My hearing is not up to par, so I need a nice loud set. Also in regard to pinpointers, what is the best one for around a $100.00??? Thanks for any help!!!!

I also got the 5X10" DD coil and a 6" mid freq coil.

BUCK

Hands down, The garrett pro pointer will be the best bang for your buck in the pinpointer category. As far as headphones go, Killer b's are nice and loud. If you spend the $100 or so on a high quality set of headphones made for metal detecting, you will be fine.

I have killer b's and I do not hear good I like them, but I have heard black widows are better for those with hearing problems.

I purchased the garrett pro pointer several months ago. It very well made and works well. In fact, we just purchased another one for my husband to use. I've been using msa ratphones for just about 3-4 weeks and the sound is great. I don't know if they would be loud enough though.

What ya all think about the Koss UR-30 headphones?? Good volume??

And am I right in thinking the higher the OHM rating, the higher the volume???

actually, the higher the "ohms", the more power is required to produce sound. So if the power to the detector audio is limited, having a lower impedance would technically produce more volume. To get the most volume out of a set of detector headphones, the impedance of the headphones should theoretically "match" the impedance of the detector. It is my understanding that the impedance of the X-Terra is 230 ohms. Although the UR-30's are considered 100 ohm impedance headphones, since Minelab wires the speakers in series instead of parallel (like many other detector manufacturers) 100 ohm UR-30 headphones will "become" 200 ohm headphones on the X-Terra. So if you want a pair of UR-30's, go for it.

I've used just about every major make and model of headphones with my X-Terras. Most of them reproduce sound effectively. But there are also other factors I use in determining which headphones I use. I want a set of headphones that block out most of the outside noise. I want a set of headphones with their own adjustible volume control(s) I want a set of headphones with a 90 degree plug. I want a set of headphones that have ample cord, without having so much it dangles in my way when I am detecting. And I want a set of headphones that fit well and don't cause discomfort after a few hours in the field. I have a fairly large melon (cap size 7 5/8 - 7 3/4, depending on whether I need a haircut or not) There are several brands that sounded good with my X-Terras. But all things considered, I use Gray Ghost headphones by DetectorPro. I have a set of Gray Ghost Originals and a set of Gray Ghost NDT's. The Originals were purchased new about 5 years ago. Every couple years I replace the earcup pads, just to keep them soft and comfy. (cost = $15 - one of the reasons I like the DetectorPro headphones) A couple months ago, I noticed a static noise developing in the plug portion of the cord. Not wanting to be without headphones, I ordered a new set of NDT''s. NDT stands for No Down Time due to the replaceable cord (and spare) that comes with them. When I received the NDT's, I sent in the Originals and got them back within a week. No charge! Another reason I continue to use DetectorPro products!!! They work well, fit nicely and are backed by excellent service.

If you asked 6 different people, you are likely to get 6 different answers. My advice would be to visit a shop with mulitple makes and models, and get one that fits well and sounds good to you. JMHO HH Randy

I went to the local dealer this morning and bought a pair of the SunRay Pros. Seems to have plenty of volume. And I could turn my threshold down and still hear it. Have both volumes on the headset turned all the way up, and the 705 turned up to 20.

Congrats on the Sun Ray Pro Golds! i know you will enjoy them. I have a set and really like them, Beale.

good answer Digger. In the UK ,There is a guy called "Chef" who has done a lot of research into the perfect set of H/phones for his 705 . he`s tried many many speakers from all over the world and he`s devised a set using the nearest speakers to the Koss 30`s . He has incorporated them into a `better` head phone set (The lightning 2 with cups) rather than the Koss which `just sit` on your ears and have a lead way to short to be practical. He`s also added a detachable lead .
If you want a pair they are custom made and you`d have to reach him by going on the Minelab Owners site ,and getting in touch with him to mail you a set.
They are $100 + P&P.

Hands Down!

Headphones = Detector Pro Gray Ghost
Pin Pointer = Garrett Pro Prointer

Enough Said!

:minelab:X-Terra 70, Garrett Pro Pointer, Wilcox Pro 100 Digger

i have heard radio shack sells wireless headphones between 49.00 and 129.00 and some guys say they work great,and heard good things about the detector pro pinpointer finds coins 6 inches away.

Good post Randy. One thing that was not mentioned was either one or two volume controls should be a buying decision also. Two volume controls if a person has bad hearing in one ear.

I have the very good Koss UR30's but they have no voumue control.

Greetings everyone,

As a newbee, I'm trying to learn as much as I can before spending a lot of moola on equipment that isn't right for me. A thought came to mind as I was reading these post on headphones.

Has anyone considered the BOSE sound-cancelling, over the ear headphones? They are a bit pricy but can be used for other things as well.

Just a thought.

Lil John