Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Headphones

gabbyhayes

I've never owed a set of headphones designed specifically for metal detecting but out of curiosity I've been considering buying a set of killer B's. (Other than what has been supplied with the detector)

My question is whether they actually improve on the audio?

I get the comfort and the cord are likely superior, but I'm guessing that their audio response wouldn't be any better than a set meant for Hi Fi music.

In fact I suspect that the manufacturer might actually limit the frequency response since there is a very limited frequency response sent from the detector.

They could actually increase the response in this narrow range to make it sound like a person is hearing better, as opposed to a headphone that has a very flat response over a very wide range.
Any comments from anybody that has a set of Killer B's or Grey Ghosts or any other metal detector specific headphones?
Thoughts. Comments?

gabbyhayes:
I've never owed a set of headphones designed specifically for metal detecting but out of curiosity I've been considering buying a set of killer B's. (Other than what has been supplied with the detector)

My question is whether they actually improve on the audio?
Headphones are an important accessory, but it is going to vary from user-to-user based upon their individual hearing ability or impairment; the make and model detector they are used and how it was design to handle headphones; and whether you are using corded headphones or wireless headphones.

So at this point, readers face their first unknown ingredient to answer, and that is What make / model detectors are you using? I have used some of my favorite detectors, one of which I need to thin out of my herd, that needed to have a better headphone for me to hear the response well because, by design, a lot of headphones sounded sort of muffled or wimpy. Why? Because they designed it with a resistor in line to the Headphone jack that had a negative impact of the audio loudness and clarity. The built-in speaker worked great, but you had to use a better quality, and higher impedance, headphone.

Then there are some detector brands that offer a wireless headphone and some folks think they hear it just fine. For me and my impaired hearing, most of the are terrible with a more softer or muffled audio. Most f those are using a 32 ohm speaker. Some of the headphones that have been sold in the metal detector industry going back to the '70s and '80s, and touted as being made for metal detectors, used 8 ohm, 15 ohm or 32 ohm speakers and I know I had, and a lot of other people had, difficulty hearing a good, clean audio response, especially from a deeper target, a smaller target of just a weaker-response form any target. Again, some makes and models didn't sound as good as other makes and models all base on the circuitry design.

gabbyhayes:
I get the comfort and the cord are likely superior, but I'm guessing that their audio response wouldn't be any better than a set meant for Hi Fi music.

No, not if you are using headphones that are not designed well and work with most brands of detectors. The Hi-Fi devices worked differently than each other, and most different from the metal detectors we are using. A decent set of headphones can provide much better audio quality with a detector.

gabbyhayes:
In fact I suspect that the manufacturer might actually limit the frequency response since there is a very limited frequency response sent from the detector.

They could actually increase the response in this narrow range to make it sound like a person is hearing better, as opposed to a headphone that has a very flat response over a very wide range

Well, Yes, some good headphones do make things sound better and can benefit those, like me, who are hearing impaired. I pr3fer headphones that are comfortable and cover my ears rather than pressing hard on my ears. I also like headphones that stay put and don't flop around when I move my head, look down, or look around. I also like to have ample coiled cable so as not to tug on the detector, and not a flat cord that I can easily kneel on during a target recovery. Also, a good quality headphone is usually going to have independent volume controls on each ear-cup. If a headphone set meets those requirements, then it just needs to have a good, hearable audio response.

gabbyhayes:
Any comments from anybody that has a set of Killer B's or Grey Ghosts or any other metal detector specific headphones?

Thoughts. Comments?
Here is what I use:

Gray Ghost XP: As the 'XP' indicates, these are non-corded headphones I use my one of my XP ORX models, and they are designed to only work with the XP ORX or Deus devices using their clip-on pod from their back-phones. They are comfortable and use the 'tank style' ear-cups that fully cover the ears w/o undue pressure, and block outside noise.

Killer B 'Hornet': My#1 preferred corded headphone for use in just about any detector with a ¼" jack. They also have a 'limiter-switch' which can reduce or limit a louder audio response from some detectors. For comfort they also use the tank-style ear-cups. They use 150 ohm speakers.. I have the main set that I use and a new pair of 'Hornets' for back-up.

Killer-B 'Wasp': My #2 favored headphone which are almost identical to the 'Hornet' model w/150 ohm speakers and the limiter switch. The differences is they use a slightly smaller ear-cup that covers but doesn't enclose the ear like the 'tank-style ear-cup. Same audio sound quality.

White's Pro Star: These started out as a very good quality headphones, and they use the tank-style ear-cup. But they started out being made By White's At White's, then due to cost they changed to Made in China manufacture. They went from a Lifetime Warranty to virtually NO warranty as there's noting printed on the box or any enclosed paperwork. They use a 50 ohm impedance speaker and, quite honestly, they sound really good ... when they are functional.

The problem was the change in manufacture and I had the headband 'snap!' when trying to put a set on one day and went to my 'back-up' set. That pair lasted maybe 60 seconds out of the box because they snapped at both ear-cups when I went to put them on. I had another set. They worked for a couple of days on our Outing, but snapped when I went back to detecting after a lunch break. Another set I offered a friends to use, right out of the box, and by end-of-day he also had a snapped set of headphones to hand me.

Never-to-fear ... I called White's, explained the issues, and they said they'd replace them and send me four new sets of headphones. I asked if they were making them again, and was told no, they are still Made in China, but they had the plastic issue resolved and had received new inventory. That was good news! However, it was followed with some less than exciting word that they used the same box as before, and they simply put the new stuff in with the old stuff, so there was no telling which was which. He said hopefully the ones they send will be the new stock and if not, let them know. I've had 3 sets of broken headphones in their boxes ready for return, and the 4th headphone will be joining them after I tried to get out hunting on Friday.

Hopefully, they have a way to pick-and-choose the newer production from the earlier breakable headphones and get me four new replacement set that will last. Until they get here (and while I've had these breakage issues, they do have a very good audio that I really like), I'll just keep using my Killer B's.

Let us know what detectors you're using, and sadly we don't have many 'local' detector dealers around anymore, but if you can find any source that carries "metal detector" headphones, take your units and go check them out.

Monte

Last edited:
I have used Killer B II headphones since I first started detecting. I have tried other brands of Recent lconverted my Excalibur II to be able to change headphones. Got rid of the Minelab ones and am now able to use headphones with the CTX 3030 connector. I can hear the differences in target tones much better than I could with the Minelab installed ones.

My hearing is not good and I need all the audio help that I can get and good headphones make a big difference in how well I hear what my machines are telling me.

I've used a few sets of hi-fi headphones and ear buds. I've used and still use XP back phones at times when I want to hear what is going on around me. I have used Jolly Rogers headphones which I hardly use anymore. Why ? Because since I got the Killer B's in camo, I don't want to use anything else. They offer good sound, good sound deadening (not absolute silence which is fine by me), separate volume controls , a good solid angled plug and coiled cable but most of all for me, it's the comfort of the ear padding that sets them apart.

They've been recommended to me by Monte. I bought them and never looked back. Unfortunately I couldn't find a dealer that had them in Canada so I had to order from the states with the added custom tax. Expensive but well worth it IMHO.

I've got a pair of Grey Ghost and they work great, only issue is price, I ended up paying 160$ for a set. I've had them now for about three years and not one problem so far.
If you could get a better price on these I'd go for it.

For me the White's Prostar for wired headphones.
Quest wire-free pro wireless headphones.
Both of these above for the CZ & FBS detectors
Equinox 800, Simplex + Factory Headphones.

I also use the Killer B Hornets as my primary, Killer B ST as backup. They are heavier duty for the rigors of detecting, and using 150 ohm speakers is done for a reason, which someone else can/has explain/explained. The best you know is the best you’ve had. ALWAYS remember that.