Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Headphones

I am looking for a pair of headphones for my EX2. I tried the SunRay Pros, but they didn't have the volume I am looking for. They were lightweight, comfortable, they blocked out the exterior noise nicely, and they sound was very smooth, but they lacked volume. I am used to the volume of the stock Koss UR-30's. There are a ton of headphones for sale, but I need a pair that has at least as much volume as the stock phones. Does anyone here use the Timberwolf Explorer phones? What draws me to these is the fact that they use 32 ohm speakers. Most of the other phones use speakers with impedeances from 100-250 ohms. Ohms law dictates that, if sensitivity levels between the speakers are equal, a lower ohm speaker will draw more power and therefore be louder. However, like I said, this is only if the speaker sensitivity ratings are equal and these rating are usually not given in the manufacturers specs. Does anyone know if any other manufacturer uses low ohm speakers? Does anyone have an experience with the Depthmaster Superphones 2100 which use a battery and claim to amplify the deeper signals? Any comments on any phones will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Todd

I myself use the Gray Ghost NDT headphones and love them. I have a back-up set just in case something other than the cord goes bad. The cord is replaceable and each pair of headphones comes with 2 cords (either 1/8" or 1/4" jacks, you specify). Rick(ND) uses Troy pro headphones and Timber wolves (I'm not sure if they are the Ultimates or which kind). He has bad hearing and even has an amplifier hooked up on his detector to boost the sound even more. I hope this helps you out and HH.

I just went out to my car and brought in my Sunrays to compare detector volume in my basement. I just bought some Sunray Pros from Ralph for my Fisher CZ-70 and EX II and they are awesome compared to the Koss Accusound Gold and stock UR-30's I was using. I set up a bunch of old coins and square nails on a thick natural rug. The limiter switch does reduce loud hits on the CZ-70 but there is no difference with the EX II as has been posted. The other toggle switch makes both barely audible if down. After testing both at various volumes including max, the Sunray are a little louder on the CZ-70 but even on the EX II, they are incredibly loud to the point that my ears are still ringing, like after a rock concert, as I write this. I'm sure that your Sunray phones are completely plugged in and you have tried different toggle settings. If this the case, then I would try what DOC has on his site with an amplifier which I have read some very satified posts with this set-up. I have also read posts about the DepthMaster Superphones that weren't as positive. I believe this was mentioned by Rick-ND when I went back and searched old posts through all the forums before I bought my Sunrays. Hope this helps...HH

Kellyco and www.Kamakazi.com carry sound amplifiers for your headphones, I've never tried them but Doc is the owner of kamakazi.com and he's really a great guy, you should ask him, he's in the Pospecting forum, I'd suggest you buy from him, Kellyco is far too unreliable.

:minelab::thumbup:

i use black widow headphones they are the loudest and keep out the noise from cars and waves very comfortable i can where mine 6 hours straight without a problem

I have a pair of Timberwolf Explorer phones and really like them, they are very comfortble and they block out so much background noise that when people talk to me I have to pull one side off of the ear. However there are a couple of things that I would change, the volume knobs would the ratcheting type, or at least tighter because they have changed by rubbing on my collar or my rainhood, and the switch on the right earpiece will also change positions if contact is made with the coller. One of my detecting friends has the Grey Ghosts and doesn't have that problem.

These were some of the lowest volume headphones I ever used, tried 6 sets thinking I had a bad set, but they are the same. The Ultimate, the NDT or even the ones on the Uniprobe I feel are louder of the Gray Ghost on the Explorer.

I find that the Timberwolfs have the best volume on my Sovereign, but now on the Explorer there is a built in limiter i believe as they don't have the volume like on other detectors. The Sun Ray Pros seem to have about the same as they all do and I use a 9 volt amplifier I got from Doc and use the Troy Pros or the Sun Ray pros on my Explorer as they seem to work the best for me. I tried different amps too and find these 9 volts amps from Doc work like they should and wont run my Explorer without one now. These were made for the gold detectors, but will work on others too to hear those faint signals.

Rick