Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Hearing loss of detectorists

Frank L

As a TH'er of some advanced years, my hearing is, you might say, not up to par. My question for folks of likewise condition, have you had to get a hearing aid for detecting/everyday use, and if so, what brands have you tried. When at a club meeting, sitting on the front row to hear and saying 'what did he say' is getting old (no pun intended).Other situations are equally frustrating but club meetings are the worst. Thanks in advance for the input.

I have the same problem with hearing loss. When I am detecting at our monthly club hunt, I use a rattler headphone. I leave one hearing aid in and have the rattler headphone on the opposite side. When I am detecting by myself, I usually take my hearing aids out and use regular headphones or earphones. I carry my hearing aids with me in a little pouch, in case I need to put them in to talk with someone. Or if there is no one around I will leave my hearing aids in and use the metal detector speaker. My hearing aids are made by Interton. They are the ones that my hearing doctor recommended. They weren't cheap ($5,400.00), but now I don't know what I would do without them. I didn't realize how bad my hearing was until I got my hearing aids. My hearing doctor said that I waited way to long before getting hearing aids.

JEF said:
I have the same problem with hearing loss. When I am detecting at our monthly club hunt, I use a rattler headphone. I leave one hearing aid in and have the rattler headphone on the opposite side. When I am detecting by myself, I usually take my hearing aids out and use regular headphones or earphones. I carry my hearing aids with me in a little pouch, in case I need to put them in to talk with someone. Or if there is no one around I will leave my hearing aids in and use the metal detector speaker. My hearing aids are made by Interton. They are the ones that my hearing doctor recommended. They weren't cheap ($5,400.00), but now I don't know what I would do without them. I didn't realize how bad my hearing was until I got my hearing aids. My hearing doctor said that I waited way to long before getting hearing aids.

"My hearing doctor said that I waited way to long before getting hearing aids."

Did he say that because you missed quality of life or could some of your hearing have possibly been saved?

Hi all, I have aids in both ears and without I can't even here my headphones on full blast. I know what you mean about the cost, $5000.00 for the first set and $4500.00 for the ones I have now, I got a discount on them. My Dr. said the same thing, that I waited to long, but he said the brain still don,t understand some people when they talk. I tried to get in the Army at 17 and they said I was 80% deaf then, I am 65 now. Is that to long? No I got mine when I was 45 years old, should of had them long before that. I just quit going to meetings and where people was at. I couldn't understand them anyway. That is when my wife said something had to be done, I just keep getting worse and wont be long before aids wont work anyway. Good luck with them, you will be in for a surprise when you here thing for the first time.

It took me a while to get used to mine. It was like major sensory overload at first. I had gone so many years with hearing loss that not hearing very well was normal for me. When I walked outside after getting them, all the traffic noise, and other noises that I had gotten used to not hearing, kind of overwhelmed me. It took me a while to get used to it. Now, I don't know how I would get along without them.

My MXT is always at MAX volume. No problem here.

Rich -