Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Heat and detector,batteries

DigDog

Anyone detecting much in this heat.
The operating temp for the Deus and probably most other detectors is 0-40C or max temp 104F. Storage temp is much lower at 27C.
The Deus is particularly vulnerable I believe because it has basically 3 batteries between everything 4 if you include the pinpointer.
Its been for about two months now low close to 80 degrees and by 10am it’s already in the 90’s and feels like between 100-110. Even going by just the actual temp it’s running on the high end of the range and heat will quickly degrade batteries if not permanently damage them. Not to mention the rest of the electronics probably don’t fair well either. In the sun I’m sure the temps of objects especially black colored like the coil or remote are even hotter.
Anyone concerned about the detector getting damaged or degraded in the heat considering it is a piece of sensitive electrical equipment. Probably no different than running your computer in 100 degree heat, might be ok for a very short period but not hours.

I don't do any detecting during the summer months, so no worries for me. Bad enough I have to work in this heat, let alone go digging. But some people do...to each his own. I used to do it but I ain't 18 no more! 😆

I'm out and have two detectors in my car but when it gets hot the come out or windows open all the way I would never leave them in without
good air flow. I hunt in the shade or water in the summer.
Mark

I don't do any detecting during the summer months, so no worries for me. Bad enough I have to work in this heat, let alone go digging. But some people do...to each his own. I used to do it but I ain't 18 no more! 😆
Yeah ive been at a standstill here. The only picking up off the ground outside is from the dogs lol and im covered in sweat when Im done. Say the exact same thing im getting too old for this heat.
But fortunately we can basically hunt all winter long
Curious though if it has a negative impact on the detector as Markus noted keeps his in a well ventilated area and uses it in the shade.
Ive had small electronics breakdown many years ago such as a radar detector that was exposed to sun and heat in the car. Seemed to work ok when cool then stop when heated up. Not sure if the components like capacitors and resistors broke down now there is the added lithium batteries which are really sensitive to extreme temperatures

Yeah ive been at a standstill here. The only picking up off the ground outside is from the dogs lol and im covered in sweat when Im done. Say the exact same thing im getting too old for this heat.
But fortunately we can basically hunt all winter long
Curious though if it has a negative impact on the detector as Markus noted keeps his in a well ventilated area and uses it in the shade.
Ive had small electronics breakdown many years ago such as a radar detector that was exposed to sun and heat in the car. Seemed to work ok when cool then stop when heated up. Not sure if the components like capacitors and resistors broke down now there is the added lithium batteries which are really sensitive to extreme temperatures
My iPhone for instance I leave it in the sun by mistake on the Gator seat as I’m working and it will show it’s too hot to use a safe mode possibly??)
Mark

Do you take the electronics (entertainment system, GPS, climate control module, etc.) out of your car in the summer? I have a 2001 Ford Ranger the has sit in the sun continually for at least 20 years and had at least one detector in it at all times for at lest 10. It sits in the sun and it is not unusual during the summer to hit 100+ degree days and even weeks. I have not had a problem with any of the electronics in it. i did, however have a lithium battery bank swell up and become useless sitting in the sun there. I have not had any of my rechargeable 9V or AA batteries leak but have had leakage on alkaline AA and AAA batteries left in the heat but I don't use alkaline batteries anymore. I don't keep my Deus or Legend in the truck because I am afraid the battery might swell but the other dozen or so detectors I do not worry about.

Do you take the electronics (entertainment system, GPS, climate control module, etc.) out of your car in the summer? I have a 2001 Ford Ranger the has sit in the sun continually for at least 20 years and had at least one detector in it at all times for at lest 10. It sits in the sun and it is not unusual during the summer to hit 100+ degree days and even weeks. I have not had a problem with any of the electronics in it. i did, however have a lithium battery bank swell up and become useless sitting in the sun there. I have not had any of my rechargeable 9V or AA batteries leak but have had leakage on alkaline AA and AAA batteries left in the heat but I don't use alkaline batteries anymore. I don't keep my Deus or Legend in the truck because I am afraid the battery might swell but the other dozen or so detectors I do not worry about.
Its more the batteries I’m concerned about as the Deus has three or four depending on your setup but depending on the temperature im sure electronics do get effected. I see your point about electronics in a vehicle but there are usually not any temp restrictions on a vehicle outside of the engine.
Never seen specs on a vehicle such as operating temperature between 0C-40C
or store at 27C.
Perhaps they use different components then small electronics because they have to operate in more extreme conditions vs nobody has to use a detector in extreme weather. For the price of a car or truck it better work lol. Which brings up another point you can get military grade laptops/electronics to work in extreme conditions but at a price. Maybe a $10,000 detector Im sure would withstand more than a $1000 one. a car battery also resists heat much better than a cell phone battery for example.
Either way why put temp restrictions on detectors, is it just for the batteries or other components as well

I've hunted a few of times in 100+ heat here in Texas this summer. As a matter of fact I was out today, 85 at 7:15am when I started and quit at 1:30, it was 105, no shade. I didn't notice any issue with how the D2 was performing. I did have my Nox 800 screen turn black when hunting in extreme heat when I lived in NM. After it cooled down it was fine.

Perhaps they use different components then small electronics because they have to operate in more extreme conditions
The only difference is vibration control to keep things from shaking apart. I never saw anything inside a detector that I didn't see before in the automotive industry.
There are many different specifications on automobiles that most people have never seen.
With all the fires occurring involving lithium batteries, it would be prudent to avoid excess heat but around here 100 degrees is not considered excessive.
If you are worried about it then don't use it when it is hot. In my opinion it is a way to help people get better life out of the battery and for the company to CYA if the battery goes bad prematurely.

Last edited:
The only difference is vibration control to keep things from shaking apart. I never saw anything inside a detector that I didn't see before in the automotive industry.
There are many different specifications on automobiles that most people have never seen.
With all the fires occurring involving lithium batteries, it would be prudent to avoid excess heat but around here 100 degrees is not considered excessive.
If you are worried about it then don't use it when it is hot. In my opinion it is a way to help people get better life out of the battery and for the company to CYA if the battery goes bad prematurely.
My main concern all along was about the batteries. As a matter of fact just got rid of a battery pack that was swollen I assume happened from heat nothing excessive and it’s not the first one. Fortunately it was visible before it got to a point of a fire hazard.
Can’t see the batteries in the detectors if they have swelled up or not. Im sure thats how some fires started in cell phones etc with similar batteries.
Perhaps why they don’t put lithium batteries in car compartments.
The other stuff was an afterthought but if repeated use in 100 degree weather conditions can effect battery life and integrity especially a fire hazard then it would be worth it to be cautious is all.
NYC is having a issues right now with many fires being started by so many electric scooters and bicycle batteries
I just think the problems with lithium batteries and heat are more common than we realize

From what I've read. Lithium batteries need to be stored at half capacity. I do that with my drones.
Don't use it all the time. Just top off before use.

From what I've read. Lithium batteries need to be stored at half capacity. I do that with my drones.
Don't use it all the time. Just top off before use.
What happens/can happen if you store fully charged Lithium batteries in detectors long term? (in your home)

They won't stay fully charged in the long term. I rarely remove the charger from my Mac laptop so it has been basically fully charged for over 5 years. I don't think it has been a problem. There are probably over a billion lithium batteries in homes in the world, phones, laptops, video games, electric bicycles, drones and many other things. Like anything that contains a large amount of power, they can be dangerous but there wouldn't be that many in circulation if they had a very high accident rate. We have come a long ways from when 2 huge D cell batteries would only supply enough light for two or three trips to the outhouse.

What happens/can happen if you store fully charged Lithium batteries in detectors long term? (in your home
They won't stay fully charged in the long term. I rarely remove the charger from my Mac laptop so it has been basically fully charged for over 5 years. I don't think it has been a problem. There are probably over a billion lithium batteries in homes in the world, phones, laptops, video games, electric bicycles, drones and many other things. Like anything that contains a large amount of power, they can be dangerous but there wouldn't be that many in circulation if they had a very high accident rate. We have come a long ways from when 2 huge D cell batteries would only supply enough light for two or three trips to the outhouse.
I leave my stuff fully charged all the time never any issues.
Some things discharge faster than others. Anything bigger like laptops go down to half in a few months but smaller things like power banks, will be almost fully charged a year later.
Interesting enough lately NYC is having issues with alot of fires breaking out everywhere due to all the battery operated scooters and bicycles catching on fire. Apparently they are catching on fire while charging. Not sure though if the batteries are still in the scooters and bikes or were taken out to charge but its a big problem because of the amount they have in NYC. They are actually having a high accident rate there right now

Ha. I'm right there widja HanoverDigger. We are going to the beach though next week for a few days. Beach hunting is so much easier than relic hunting and digging in our red clay here in Georgia.

Ha. I'm right there widja HanoverDigger. We are going to the beach though next week for a few days. Beach hunting is so much easier than relic hunting and digging in our red clay here in Georgia.
Have fun and good luck digging at the beach. I've been beach hunting probably twice my whole life. Not much luck using the old Nautilus 2b and had to leave another because unexploded ordinance was found. Buckroe Beach,Va. I was using the Whites Eagle 2 SL on that one.

Wow, that must have been a real heartbreaker to have to leave that armed shell. What type was it? I am by no means a veteran beach hunter. This will be about my 3rd trip beach hunting. While we haven't found a treasure trove, we have had fun and found a few things. We look forward to our trip.