Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Hello All!

PSS1963

I'm new to the forum, though not exactly new to detecting. I'm back in it after a long hiatus (~25 years!).

My original machine is a White's 6000 Di Pro (blue box) but I'm looking to upgrate to the MXT All-Pro very soon.

Hi Monte - I've sent you e-mail. Please disregard the part about not being able to get into the forum - figured it out.

-p

Welcome! I bet you have some great stories of some finds from the 'old days'? What caused you to take a 25 yr break? Life in general?
Mud

I was only in it for a couple of years in the late 80's when marriage and kids forced me to back-burner any hobbies that "got me out of the house". Got back in this July because my brother bought a 300 year old farm (virgin ground) and gave me permission to hunt there. Very first day was my best day of detecting ever! . . . very first coin target out of the ground was a British William III half-penny - very toasted but design details make me think the date is probably 1696 . . . then I found a spill and bagged 2 mercs, a barber dime and a couple of wheats in an area the size of my living room! In subsequent visits the spill gave up a couple more wheats and an Indian - all very toasted but fun to get anyway! Haven't been able to get near the house yet because there is an invisible fence for the dog and the EMI is bad. I figure I've gotten the low hanging fruit in the areas I've checked and I'm itching to get back there with an MXT next year. Also got my eye on a site where a meetinghouse was built in the early 1700's and everntually abandoned and left to the woods. Don't know if its been hunted but I sure want to give it a shot.

-pete

Yeah! that sounds like the ticket!:drool: Well, this is a Fun forum...we all try to inspire each other to greatness in the limited time and endurance we have left...what State are you in? I suspect east coast... I'm in West Mich and hunt both beach and dirt in season...addicted pretty bad to this Sport, luckily all my kids are grown and gone, been a very healthy and interesting past time for me...
Mud

Yes, Eastern Mass. I updated my signature with that info plus some. Gotta run to an appointment but I'll be back later.

-p

Hello Pete, welcome aboard and back to the hobby. Think you'll like the MXT; to me one of the best, if not the Best.:super:

Hi Pete, Welcome to the forum. Thanks for the background and what a sweet place to go detecting. I wish you a lot of luck and you'll have to keep us posted. I played around with the 6000 DI a short time and it's a very heavy machine. After swinging that monster, Larry bought me my MXT. It's almost a relic, but it still runs smooth. I haven't liked a machine so much as I do the MXT. I know it like the back of my hand and with practice. It's an awesome machine and easy to learn. Practice practice practice! HH and welcome aboard.

Thanks Nancy and everyone who responded, for the hearty welcome! Talk about heavy - I had a problem with my hip-mount setup one day (cable flexing at the connector was causing falsing) and I had to configure it the regular (non-hip-mount) way. That Blue Max 256 coil was so heavy and badly balanced I thought my arm would fall off after a half hour - kept switching hands but I didn't last long! That cable got fixed fast!

BTW, glad to hear that the 6000 is a heavy monster compared with the MXT! Gives me confidence that I'd be trading up in ergonomics as well as performance. The 6000 is manageable (weight-wise) when configured in hip-mount but its a real nuisance to have the box strapped to the body. And oddly enough the straps all appear to have shrunk since I bought them. Going to have to speak with somebody at Whites about that!

PSS1963 said:
And oddly enough the straps all appear to have shrunk since I bought them. Going to have to speak with somebody at Whites about that!

Pete, I hate when that happens. :blink:

Yes, the MXT is very easy to swing. I'm sure you'll love it. Keep us posted!

A big welcome to ya Pete :clapping: enjoy your new MXT. :thumbup:

Happy Hunting, :twodetecting:
Bill G

I had a chance to weigh my 6000 yesterday - I don't have it set up right now so I weighed the various parts individually:

Control box and battery - 4 pounds
Rods and grip - 1 pound 4 ounces
Rods by themselves - 6 ounces
256 (10") coil - 1 pound 14 ounces
6" coil - 1 pound

So,
configured as a hand-held with the 6" coil . . . (4#) + (6oz) + (1#) = 5# 6oz
configured as a hand-held with the 10" coil . . . (4#) + (6oz) + (1# 14oz) = 6# 4oz
configured as a hip-mount with 6" coil . . . (1# 4oz) + (1#) = 2# 4oz
configured as a hip-mount with 10" coil . . . (1# 4oz) + (1# 14oz) = 3# 2oz

Of course balance is as important as weight and I don't think this machine is very well balanced so its more fatiguing to use than well balanced machines of similar weight.

-pete

Very interesting Pete. You said the key word, "balance". The Whites MXT is one mighty fine balanced machine. That 6000 is like an elephant compared to the MXT. Thanks for the interesting facts.