Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Hello and Welcome

A

Anonymous

It's just gone midnight here in the UK so this is the start of the first day of the class. I've spread the word on several forums, so we should get a good cross section of questions and answers on the subject of Pulse Induction. I am away on business Friday and part of Saturday so there wont be much from me for a day or so. However, bring on the questions so that we can have a lively classroom through next week. I have one subject already that I am writing up and that is how it is possible to audibly distinguish nails and wire with some PI's.
See you shortly,
Eric.

Thanks Eric and Bill for taking the time to hang out here for a while!
Another thing that you could add to the list of your topics is describing the differences between the different PI's that are available, and how some are high power (high transmit power) and some have better sensitivity, and how the two might go hand-in-hand to make a good, reliable, easy to use detector. I've often wondered if it's just possible to increase the output power of the detector to a point where (if depth was the primary goal) you could find gold rings at 3 feet down. I assume though at some point the high power begins to backfire, but perhaps you could discuss this to some degree (and how I'll need a generator on my back to charge the car battery I need to carry to power the stupid thing).
Also, How about how coil size affects depth and sensitivity. We're all going for larger coils in search of getting an extra inch or three, but what are we sacraficing with sensitivity to small items, if any, with a PI versus a VLF/IB type detector?
Ok, I'll stop now and start thinking about how all of this fits together.
Thanks again...
-J

Can a Fisher Impulse detector coil be "tuned" to match up with the control box circuits better or can the box be tweaked to achieve greater depth thru the existing coil? Also, is there any advantage for using any of the White's PI coils on the Fisher Impulse. Thank you ---Rick

Hi Jeff,
All the high power PI detectors I have used also are the most sensitive. This is not necessary because they are high powered but because of the circuit design. This circuit design comes generally in the upper end priced detectors. They have more adjustments to deal with the different aspects of detecting.
The practical limits of digging really becomes a problem when shallow water hunting. How does one dig a 3

Hi Rick,
From what I know of the Impulse, there is no real way to improve performance by matching the coil to the box any better. This really applies to any PI detector in that the designer has done his best to achieve the best performance compromises in the design. After all, every detector is one big compromise throughout as it must detect a wide range of objects of different metals and sizes at different depths. True, some detectors can be tweaked a bit but you rarely get something for nothing. An increase in sensitivity may mean a reduction in stability and more threshold noise.
Eric.