Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Hello from Salem West Virginia

coin pirate

Just a quick hello intro, Joining this site from a suggestion from one of your fellow members, I think I'm going to like it over here, and haven't finished my first post, I just bought a Fisher F5, and to me, it's an upgrade from my Garrett, any garret in fact to me, (sorry Garrett lovers).
Looking forward to learning about this machine and sharing what I've found and learned as well.
Been MDing some 42 yrs, happily married, US Army veteran, semi retired/disabled. I use the same user name over in Friendly Metal Detecting's forum.
Rich

.....and yes, it's raining like it's time to gather animals two by two and build an ark

Welcome Rich, from another WV hunter over in the Huntington area.

Ron in WV

Welcome Rich, I'm also from the Huntington area. There is three of us brothers from here that post on the forums, my big brother (WV 62) my little brother (MarkCZ5).
I also run the f5 detector, I've had mine for about 2 1/2 years now. Your going to love that machine, if you've got any questions about it let me know and I'll try to help you out. All three of us post on this forum and also on the general metal detecting forum.

Awesome guys, great to have a bunch of fellow detectors here in WV, and I'll be taking up all those offers on F5 info, when the rain stops, going to get some more practice in today, probably later this afternoon.

And welcome to the Fisher forum...I told you those W. Va. guys are nice and helpful along with most of us other Fisher nuts.
We all share settings and insights around here and many things that are suggested seem to work across several different platforms with tweaking so ask away, experiment a little and the learning curve should be no problem.
My way of learning is totally anal, 9 months of tweaking settings, experimenting, doing a lot less digging than usual because I was messing around with many settings on most of my targets just to see what they could do but I still found more great treasure than I thought possible along that journey with my F70 and the fun just never ended.
When I finally got down with a few favorite settings and just hunted my volume of finds soared and more than made up for anything I missed at the beginning including lots of bucket listers in some really difficult sites....and my jaw hasn't stopped dropping since.
Still experimenting and tweaking too, that never ends for me, and still putting down in this fine forum what I learn.

Many use Garretts and love them but I never could get used to the tones I hear in all the vids and shows I have seen them at work but the Fisher language to me, the tones and the behavior I see on the screen, just speaks volumes.
If you are lucky in this hobby you might come across that one detector or brand that you just click with, I am more than lucky because I found two, Fisher and Tesoro, but a Fisher is my main hunting tool.
A new detector, a new language to learn and new worlds to explore as you learn it...if you look up fun in the dictionary this is one great description of exactly that.

Onwards and upwards!

Being that good targets are getting harder find, when one of us brothers hits one we will try to get the others to come over and hit it with their machines and then we can make a call if we think it is good or not. Once all have made their guess the finder will dig it for the show and tell. We think this kind of helps us get to know the difference in targets and machines.

My brother SL52 above called me over one time and said he had a half dollar penned down with his F5 and he called me over and I hit it with my F75 and I was getting a high tone but I couldn't make the call to say it was a half $. So little brother takes his digger and took off about and inch of dirt and there the shinny edge of a half $. It was laying at about a 15 degree angle, I have no idea why at an inch or 2 deep the F75 wouldn't lock on, it should told me if it was heads or tails and give me the date. :lol:

Then in the same area a few days later it was my turn, I locked on to a half $ and called my brother SL52 over and he hit it with his F5 and he said it was half $ and he dug it for me. It was a nice BF half and it was only and inch or 2 under the ground.

In that area of the park we took a total of 4 silver half dollars, I got 2 of them, and my brothers got one each.

That F5 my brother has really likes the silver, most days he ends up with top count on silver coins if any are found.

Here is some pictures of a bag of coins brother SL52 found just last Saturday with his F5.

Ron in WV

WV62 said:
I hit it with my F75 and....

Ron in WV

Question, how do you like your F75, and compared to F5,(differences, advantages) I was considering that to be my next machine when I can afford it, won't get rid of the F5, just more in the arsenal

Well I like the F75 just fine, but you check the coins in your pocket at the end of the day, I am not convened it does any better than the F5. Here is a link to a post were I was air testing my 3 machines and my brothers F5. http://www.findmall.com/read.php?18,2304106

We are really not supposed to compare machines on the F series forum, so I do all that kind of stuff on the Metal Detector Forum this same site. I put you a link to my post so you can take a look and see why I think the F5 is a good all around detector even if I don't own one. I think their is some pretty good numbers for air testing, but I know once I put the coil on the ground those same numbers don't work. There you will find numbers for the F5, F75, Fisher 1270 and a Tesoro Tejon.

Ron in WV

WV62 said:
Well I like the F75 just fine, but you check the coins in your pocket at the end of the day, I am not convened it does any better than the F5. Here is a link to a post were I was air testing my 3 machines and my brothers F5. http://www.findmall.com/read.php?18,2304106

We are really not supposed to compare machines on the F series forum, so I do all that kind of stuff on the Metal Detector Forum this same site. I put you a link to my post so you can take a look and see why I think the F5 is a good all around detector even if I don't own one. I think their is some pretty good numbers for air testing, but I know once I put the coil on the ground those same numbers don't work. There you will find numbers for the F5, F75, Fisher 1270 and a Tesoro Tejon.

Ron in WV

Hmmm, some weird rules here, I figured comparing the same Brand would have been ok, sounds like you can't even ask someone if they like a different manufactures MD if your in a different ones category. Some or most have multiple brands, so have to run all over the forum, just to talk to the same guy about his different equipment??? I've got enough of a learning curve on my machine, don't need more homework.

I appreciate the reply and heads up

I think all Fishers work more than well, with my F2 some just couldn't believe some of the things I found, where I found them or exactly how I did it even after posting my exact methods, insights, techniques and theories.
I know for sure at least 3 people in my MD club in Kansas that used some pretty high end and even flagship detectors bought one just to see what all the fuss was about because I won so many contests with mine at our monthly meetings consistently.
I believe most detectors have a language and there is also another deeper, more hidden language with even more behavior patterns and indicators that can be taken advantage of for those that delve into that but aren't so in your face obvious as the main one.
Then I found hunting here in some of the most difficult dirt and trash and iron infested sites imaginable there is even another strange and obscure language I had to learn to really be successful but I did learn it and I seem to be able to pull out some surprising and great treasure from sites that were given up on long ago by most everyone else around here.
The bottom line is all Fishers seem to work pretty good once you understand them no matter how deep into that understanding you care to go.
Plus very fun to swing, an important part of this hobby for me no matter what I am able to find.

Welcome! I am no longer a W Va guy, but a few decades back did spend a couple years in Fairmont. You will enjoy it here. Good luck and hope it dries up for you. HH jim tn

coin pirate said:
WV62 said:

Ron in WV

Hmmm, some weird rules here, I figured comparing the same Brand would have been ok, sounds like you can't even ask someone if they like a different manufactures MD if your in a different ones category. Some or most have multiple brands, so have to run all over the forum, just to talk to the same guy about his different equipment??? I've got enough of a learning curve on my machine, don't need more homework.

I appreciate the reply and heads up

When I come here I look at 4 sub-forums...
Today's finds
The F Series Fisher and Tesoro forums since I run with both
The Metal Detecting forum which is used for general posts about tools, accessories, comparisons and most other general metal detecting stuff.

Hit the drop down bar up top and you can see all the other different forums around here which are specific to many different interests.
I like photography so I sometimes visit the Digital Photography forum and a few others from time to time like the General Views forum used to post opinions and thoughts on almost everything.

Because of the way this site is arraigned I find it a bit easier to track down and absorb info of interest to me than some others.

Hello again from Huntington, WV and Welcome to the forum!

I'm the Little, little brother LoL

Mark

So many of you from Huntington, will have everything hunted out....lol
Thanks for the welcome

Yep my brother's avatar shows all three of us brothers, the picture was of us when we were kids, brother MarkCz is about 59, brother Still looking 52 (Greg) is about 63 and I am the big brother at age 68. They will correct me if missed the ages.

Ron in WV

coin pirate said:
You guys have a few more whiskers than me, I'll be 55 this year

I'm not good at keeping up we birthdays and birthdates, but for some reason I'm catching up with big brother Ron, he use to be 10 years older than me, so don't be surprised if he's 67 next year and I'm 61.
I may make it to 70 before he does :rofl:

"coin pirate" let me ask you this, what's your primary type of hunting,
Land hunting from coins? (old coins or fresh drop clad stabbing)
Jewelry hunting?
Maybe Relics?
Or water hunting for coins/jewelry?

Mark