Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Help dating an early American hatchet head?

DOP

Hi everybody
Found this hatchet head on a pioneer site we were detecting last weekend. Can anybody help me date this piece? Here are our videos we make in case anybody is interested in checking it out. Thank you! We would love your feedback and subscription if you “dig” us!

Attachments

• 6A8DCC63-3276-4D7D-A09E-3077D282FFBF.jpeg
    6A8DCC63-3276-4D7D-A09E-3077D282FFBF.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 138
Looks like the one I lost about 200 years ago....... nice find!!!

Can help with the date in it, but neat find.
I have found some similar to it that I’ve heard referred to as a roofing hatchet, but the ones I have found are a bit smaller and do not have a “hook” in the rear like the one you have... is that for pulling nails possibly..
does it have a slot between the two sides to grab a nail head?

Hi everybody
Found this hatchet head on a pioneer site we were detecting last weekend. Can anybody help me date this piece? Here are our videos we make in case anybody is interested in checking it out. Thank you! We would love your feedback and subscription if you “dig” us!

Looks like a early 1800's carpenter's hatchet . I s it beveled on both sides or just one sides? If both side is was probably used for making pegs for timber framing.

Carver

Can help with the date in it, but neat find.
I have found some similar to it that I’ve heard referred to as a roofing hatchet, but the ones I have found are a bit smaller and do not have a “hook” in the rear like the one you have... is that for pulling nails possibly..
does it have a slot between the two sides to grab a nail head?
Yep! There’s a nail puller

Here are a couple examples of what I usually find in my area.
They are about the same size as what you found and the lower one is more common than the upper one.
I think yours dates earlier than either of these, but these I'm guessing date back into the early 1900's or late 1800's based on other finds at the sites these came from.
Yours is interesting with the nail puller more like what is seen today on a hammer.

IMG_0324.JPG