Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Help deciding on which X-Terra as first detector

eauman

Hi all,
I'm definately a detecting newbie but have been reading what I can including Diggers X-Terra ebook & various reviews posted on this site but still can't decide between the X-Terra 305, 505 & 705. I keep moving between the three & although I've ordered my Garrett Pro-Pointer I can't make up my mind on the detector! I think I would mostly use in parks & suchlike & occasionally the beach, & probably use once a week to start with. Despite what I have read on various forums praising the 705, the questions I keep coming back to are below, obviously along with the difference in price ($395, $650 & $950 here in Australia). Any feedback would be appreciated as I probably don't fully understand the benefits of the various features...

* realistically will I miss finds with a 305 compared to a 505 or 705 ?

* at the beach would a 305/505 just mean doing dry sand then resetting ground balance then wet sand rather than doing wet & dry together with a auto sensing 705 or does the feature set limit the 305/505 beach finding capabilities?

* would buying a 305 & another coil best suited to my intended use in S.E. Qld Australia (suggestions?) be a better option for me (cost & finds based) rather than just buying a standard 505/705?

* 305 to 505 to 705 - each has increasing discrimination segments will these really make a difference to my finds or does it mean I will be digging more rubbish up with less segments?

* 705 auto noise cancel, auto ground balance and tracking. Guess these will be nice but will doing it manually take much time & really affect my finds given the 705 is almost the combined cost of a 305 & 505?

Sorry if these are dumb questions but as I say any feedback would be appreciated (other than to consider another brand) as I'm thinking of picking one up this weekend if I can make a decision!!

EauMan
-----------------------
Detector - X-Terra ???
Pinpointer - Garrett Pro-Pointer

The X-Terra 705 ..... hands down.

The 705 has a beach mode -- ideal.

The 705 is much better in terms of flexibility with it's features over the other 2 detectors.

I chose the X-Terra 705 because of all these extra features etc.

It's an easy to use detector too, even with the extra features that it has over the other 2.

I have to agree, if you can afford the 705 that is the way to go. With that said, I don't think you'll miss much, if anything, between the 3 Xterra's. The added features of the 705 are nice but if the difference in price scares you and you don't mind doing things manually, I don't think they have much difference in the depth department. I would suggest at least the 505 for the extra frequency option and more segments. JMHO.

Sounds like your serious about getting into this hobby. If so, why would you want to buy twice? What I mean by that is, you might outgrow a lesser detector or want the other features which could make you to buy another detector. Dont have buyers remorse. Buy the one you want with as much as you can afford. The auto grown balance and noise cancelling makes the machine a snap to set up. Once you learn the machine and all it's functions, AND start finding coins and relics, you will be hooked. Almost addicted.

I can't add much to the great advice you already received.

* realistically will I miss finds with a 305 compared to a 505 or 705 ?
you'll likely dig more trash due to the wider notch segments.

* at the beach would a 305/505 just mean doing dry sand then resetting ground balance then wet sand rather than doing wet & dry together with a auto sensing 705 or does the feature set limit the 305/505 beach finding capabilities?
Regardless of which X-TERRA you have, I'd recommend hunting parallel to the water, wet sand and dry sand separately. With that in mind, the Beach Mode of the 705 makes it hard to beat in the sand.

* would buying a 305 & another coil best suited to my intended use in S.E. Qld Australia (suggestions?) be a better option for me (cost & finds based) rather than just buying a standard 505/705?
Depends on budget and interest in the hobby. If your mineralzation is as high as I've heard, you'll likely end up getting a DD coil sooner rather than later. All models come with a concentric as stock. But you can buy the 705 with a stock elliptical DD, as part of what is called the Gold Pack.

* 305 to 505 to 705 - each has increasing discrimination segments will these really make a difference to my finds or does it mean I will be digging more rubbish up with less segments?
all three models will find anything metal. But the narrower the notch segments, the more refined the TID. You'll likely dig more trash with the 305, compared to the other two.

* 705 auto noise cancel, auto ground balance and tracking. Guess these will be nice but will doing it manually take much time & really affect my finds given the 705 is almost the combined cost of a 305 & 505?
If you understand the process, you can obtain effective results with manual GB. However, there isn't anything more accurate than Auto GB or tracking. And with the greater range of adjustment, the higher the model, the more accurate the setting obtainable

It all boils down to your budget and how serious you are about the hobby. If you have a high level of patience and are doing this for relaxation, any of them will help you find that. But if you are not a particularly patient person, digging those first hundred pull tabs is likely to turn you away from the hobby.

HH Randy

I am sure that Randy has given you all the info you need however, I'll throw my two cents in and say my advice would be to buy the 705 if you can afford it. I hate mesing with ground balance and such so the auto features on the 705 with tracking is perfect for me. I also like the additional segments in the discrimination that allows me to get a better idea of what my target is. I have thought about buying a 305 for a backup but I know that I will never use it so I am going to save for another 705 so I will have all the features I have now. I love the 705 and would not trade it for any other detector in it's price range !!

eauman,

From your questions, I can tell you've done your homework and now you've gotten some great advice from the best...SO, SAVE YOURSELF SOME MONEY (in the long term) AND BUY THE 705.

I started with a X-Terra 305, then bought a 505 cause I found a great deal and I kept the 305 as a back-up/loaner MDer. I then upgraded the 305 to a 705...best move I've made in a long time (the 505 is now my back-up). The 705 is just much easier to use for coin and relic hunting unless you just want to do everything manually. When I'm out hunting with someone who does not have their own MDer, I let them use my 705 because it is easier for them to use! I'm now wanting to upgrade the 505 to a 705 because I prefer MDing with the 'automatic' features the 505 doesn't have. Would also think the decision is made easier since you have the opportunity to hunt for gold nuggets in Australia!

No way I would now give up the auto-noise, auto GB, and GB tracking for my uses of coin/relic hunting in highly mineralized areas. The 705 is well worth the extra 'up-front' cash. Add on the other 'extra features' of the 705 [prospecting mode, iron mask, pinpoint sizing, etc.] and get a DD coil or the 705 Gold Pack and you will not be second guessing yourself.