Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Help for the newbie!

Mike(PA)

Hey guys this is my first time posting in the beach and water detecting forum. I have posted in other forums but I was mostly a land and dirt digger. I am 17 and I have been detecting for about 5 years now and i currently own a whites prizm V and live in northwestern Pennsylvania. In about a week I am traveling to the Outer Banks in North Carolina. I was wondering if any of you have experience detecting there or any tips or equipment that I should use downt there. It will be my first time detecting on a beach. Thanks Mike

Mike, I would recommend that you not run any discrimination at the beach because the aluminum trash range is also where the gold is. So beach hunters generally dig it all. If you notch out foil and pull tabs you're notching out gold rings too, so be aware of that.

Second is to run your sensitivity as high as you can but not too high that you sacrifice stability. Your machine's performance may be problematic in the wet sand, though should do OK in the dry sand. Scope out the beaches you want to hunt and see where the heaviest concentrations of people are and then grid those areas well when they're gone...like early in the morning or at night. There are "blanket drops" in the dry sand and stuff lost while swimming in the wet, so take your pick.

Finally, when hunting down at the Outer Banks, beware the Park Service "Rangers" or whatever you want to call them (I have my preference, but will keep that to myself) as they will tell you that you can't detect South of Kill Devil Hills because it's national parks land. But it's OK to drive your 4-wheel drive out there, litter, cook burgers, fish, etc. Just heaven forbid you should dig a hole in the sand, take a coin or ring out, and fill it back in. You can't do THAT!

But between Kill Devil Hills and Corolla you can. And you may well get away with it further South too, until one of the dipsticks sees you. But they also don't ALL care. Some do, some don't.

Good luck.

In addition to what Mike said, you might want to check out the following web pages:

http://www.outerbanksnc.net/detect.htm
http://www.outerbanksnc.net/beachtips.html

Enoy the trip and HH

My hubby had one and could not even go near the wet sand because of the instability. There is plenty of stuff in the dry sand to find because the surf is often very difficult to go into. Pay strict attention to the "RED FLAG" days and do not go into the water when you see them on the beach. The currents are very strong and can pull even the strongest swimmer under. You will find your best stuff in the hotel zone.