Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Help getting back in the game...

Dan'O

I've been out of the game for about y years now and will shortly have the time to 'get back in'. I ran a 6000 Xl pro or pro xl for about 2 years and really liked it. I live in Utah now and know there's a fair amount of mineralization in the soil and was wondering which used machines would be worth a look at. I want to have good depth and I'm not afraid of having to figure it out. I don't want a turn on and go. I want to get the most out of myself and my detector.
Thx for the help, Dan

Well my vote for what it is worth is a MXT or MXT Pro. Works great even has prospecting mode plenty of coils, factory and after market. Let's hear from some of the other forum members.
Happy Hunting
Matt Bullock

If you keep your eyes open you can find an MXT for 300-400. MXT Pro will cost a bit more. Check the differneces but MXT Pro is multi tone, may have a back light has ground grab, and some say an inch or so deeper. I find my MXT and MX5 very close, MX5 seems just a bit deeper but not as stable and the MXT and does not run in mixed mode or prospecting mode. Mx5 is more of a turn on and go coin machine in my opinion.

Hi Dan,
The mxt is a great detector and just as effective as anything else out there at the moment.The pro has the same depth as the standard mxt.
Another detector to look at is the M6,this is just as effective as the mxt (I've used both),but will beat the mxt if you ever want to use your detector on the wet sand at the beach.
Also,don't be swayed by complicated machines,most of the features on today's complicated models will do nothing to help your finds rate......a lot of features are just gimmicks.

My suggestion would be DFX. Even it is more "complex", (not to say complicated to master ) than the above named models, it has good modes for different types of hunting: beach, relics, coins, all metal mode, has good EMI filters, long battery life,dual frequency etc.There are also a lot of different factory/after-market coils. As i found out( correctly me if i am wrong) DFX is out of production line, so i think it is a good trade to get one before they disappear from the stores. I am still regretting for selling mine long ago. It is high quality built device that can serve you well over 2, 3 decades if stored/taken care of properly. If your budget is not in question then go for DFX.
HH

DFX --- MXT??

Depends on what your goal will be - tweaking a machine or "the dig".

Difficult decision as you can spend the buck only once.

Having both machines let me say if going unknown areas I'll always take the MXT.
THIS is the machine I'll know it runs full power in that conditions.

And if I could have only one detector it would be the MXT. And I prefer the Tracker E-Series.

Just my 2c.

VITO@ Please share your thoughts briefly regarding pros and cons between those two detectors.
A bit off topic: I've used DFX for over 2 years , was quite satisfied but for my sites( medieval, ancient Roman) i needed a MD with high recovery speed ( lots on nails) so i bought XP goldmax. I am still using it and TDI SL is on the way( just for a single particular site).

Dan'O... If you still have the 6000 Pro XL, IF it was me.. I would put an 8" concentric coil on it and go to town with it.

Depending on a couple of years detecting and using a lot of different brands/machines I came to the conclusion
that it is a very good thing to get all settings by one look. This is with the MXT.
The great advantage is to see the toggles and knobs and knowing it will work at most performance.

This is not for the DFX (or other detectors like this) where settiings are hidden in menus and sub-menus.
The advantage of the DFX: very extensive setup choices.

Both detectors are good in separation and depth while the MXT has faster recovery speed.
But that is just me.

LOTR said:
VITO@ Please share your thoughts briefly regarding pros and cons between those two detectors.
A bit off topic: I've used DFX for over 2 years , was quite satisfied but for my sites( medieval, ancient Roman) i needed a MD with high recovery speed ( lots on nails) so i bought XP goldmax. I am still using it and TDI SL is on the way( just for a single particular site).

I also would recommend a MXT, any model of it. Pro, E series, 300, etc. But add a 5.3 eclipse coil to it. That is the best coil for this detector. The large 12" coils that come with the Pro models, cover too much ground per swing, too many targets to deal with for both detector and operator.

vito said:
Depending on a couple of years detecting and using a lot of different brands/machines I came to the conclusion
that it is a very good thing to get all settings by one look. This is with the MXT.
The great advantage is to see the toggles and knobs and knowing it will work at most performance.

This is not for the DFX (or other detectors like this) where settiings are hidden in menus and sub-menus.
The advantage of the DFX: very extensive setup choices.

Both detectors are good in separation and depth while the MXT has faster recovery speed.
But that is just me.

LOTR said:

Accidentally, I got a DFX for a low price( it was a test unit) as my first ever MD! I was doing advertisement and web site translation for a regional dealer (long ago)so, it was accidentally offered, it was not a choice but all I can say is one thing: WHITES CUSTOMER'S SUPPORT: OMG! 10, 000 miles away!, What a team! 5 /5 stars! Keep it up!Surely I will place a TDI SL test on a Ancient Roman field!Still awaiting delivery :)

Very simple to operate, ive found stuff my v3i missed. I picked out area 30x30 and worked it with v3i first, then got the m6 out and recovered over $3 that I had missed with the v3i. Im real careful about sweeping in a way that I overlap by at least 50% butby the same token I did not know the v3i as well either. I just know I could not get up off my knees when I got the m6 out. Btw her name Iis Trixie