Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

HELP I'M GOING CRAZY!!!

A

Anonymous

I HAVE USED THE EXCALIBUR AND SOVEREIGN FOR ABOUT SIX YEARS WITH NO TROUBLE. BOUGHT THE EXPLORER IN AUG. AND STARTED BY USING IT AT THE BEACH WITH LITTLE TROUBLE (OTHER THAN DIGGING TARGETS 18" DOWN). WHEN I TRY THIS THING IN A PARK IT GOES CRAZY MAKING NOISES AND THE CROSSHAIRS JUMP ALL OVER. QUARTERS AND DIMES SEEM TO COME IN CLEARLY, (BOTH SOUND OK AND CROSSHAIRS WHERE THEY BELONG)BUT NICKLES AND EVEN PENNIES ARE QUESTIONABLE SOUNDING.I HAVE MADE SOME HALFWAY DECENT FINDS BUT, WITH A LOT OF DIGGING. SOMETIMES I WILL START TO DIG ONE OF THESE SIGNALS AND THEN I JUST LOSE IT COMPLETELY. I HAVE TRIED BOTH THE FACTORY PRESET AND THE IRON MASK AT BOTH -8 AND -10 WITH THESE SAME RESULTS. IS THIS NORMAL? IF NOT WHAT IS SUGGESTED TO ELIMINATE SOME OF THESE PROBLEMS. THANKS AND HH

Are you using the noise cancel feature before starting in the park? one thing to remember is the explorer records the reading of the last target it sees, even disced out targets. so if you go over a nickle and pull the coil away for a reading, but happen to go over something else thats where the meter reading will show up. If I am in a place with losts of junk I try and lift the coil up straight and to the left for the correct reading. To me the most important thing is the audio, if it sounds good and with no wavering tones while right over the target I dig no matter what the meter says, unless its falling steady to the bottom left. As for your signal disappearing after digging, if you were getting a solid hit from 2 or more angles, your leaving good stuff in the ground..keep on digging.....Jim

You can expect the older, deeper copper and nickel coins to not really lock on one particular spot.... the depth in the ground and the halo around the target affect the target ID slightly with each sweep, causing your crosshairs to bounce around. Pay attention to which areas the crosshairs settle around most. Be sure you get a repeatable signal from different angles, and that you're not just getting a false blip from the edge of a trash item. If you get a fairly good signal, but lose it when you dig... stick the coil close into the hole and listen for any response or any reading in pinpoint mode... really deep targets can fade out when you remove the ground from over the top of it. Another possibility is that you disturbed the target's position in the ground while digging - putting it deeper, on edge, scrape around the sides at the bottom of the hole good. Still another possibility is that you detected an extremely small surface target that can't be located after you dig out the hole.... scan through the plug and dirt from the hole thoroughly, take handfuls of the dirt and run them over the coil real close... if you cut plugs and get no signal from the bottom of the plug, turn it back over and scan the top side of it. I've run into several tiny objects that were only an inch or two deep, but were a problem to locate after I dug my hole, I had to spread the fill dirt out thin and scan it or scan over the top and/or sides of the plug. Hope this helps out.... HH, Mike.

I've had that happen as I'm sure we all have at one time or another. When I come across this type of site that has my machine all jumpy and the sounds in my headphones going sorta crazy I try to help my detector get it's [bearings].
What I do is back everything way down until I get some stability, I kick it into semi-auto and start turning down the sensitivity, if it's really bad I select a complete dark screen rejecting everything then just start opening up the top right corner to begin excepting high coins, and I might switch to fast mode if I'm in deep. Once the XS is stable -has it's bearings- I will then start opening up the Sensitivity a little at a time, then start accepting more targets a little bit at a time backing it all off a bit if it starts get jumpy again.
I do all of that one at a time or all at once, I'm basically trying to de-sensitize the XS in order to get a starting point.
From what you describe it almost sounds like your XS is excepting Nails, or too much Iron. If that's the case then you might first want to start disc'ing out more iron(add more Iron Mask)
GL/HH