Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Help in id Please

rme

My son and I were metal detecting a farm at Cedar Mountain earlier this year. I found this in a very small area (20 X 20 ft ) along with part of an Confederate Calvary Richmond spur, chain links, button & poss chest lock part. Looks to me like what is left of an open blade pocket knife. What do you think?
Thanks

Attachments

• 1005.jpg
    1005.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 123
  • 1002.jpg
    1002.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 119
  • 1003.jpg
    1003.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 116
  • 1004.jpg
    1004.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 108
  • 1005.jpg
    1005.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 120
Were all pocket knife bolsters brass at that time? This one i'm picturing has both bolsters showing as you would expect but don't seem to be made of brass. Another site called it immediately as what's left of an extended blade broken pocket knife.
Thanks

I don't see anything that would make me think it is a pocket knife. The bottom of the groove looks cut into the solid piece but would of had to be a spring to hold the blade open, no reason for iron to be that thick on the sides, brass bolsters keep the blade from seizing up with rust. I would think more likely a piece some kind of farm or military equipment.

Were all pocket knife bolsters brass at that time? This one i'm picturing has both bolsters showing as you would expect but don't seem to be made of brass. Another site called it immediately as what's left of an extended blade broken pocket knife.
Thanks
I can’t say on that, but I agree with Picketwire… to me it does not look like a knife.
Here is a page from a reproduction if an 1897 Sears catalog.
Details state some are brass lined and others are iron lined.. does not mention the material of the bolster… maybe nickel or brass… maybe not.
IMG_8248.jpeg

Last edited:
Folding shaving razor?????

My son and I were metal detecting a farm at Cedar Mountain earlier this year. I found this in a very small area (20 X 20 ft ) along with part of an Confederate Calvary Richmond spur, chain links, button & poss chest lock part. Looks to me like what is left of an open blade pocket knife. What do you think?
Thanks
Two thoughts: corroded Clevis yoke, tuning fork

clevis yoke.png

Tuning Fork.png

Over the years I've dug up a dozen or more rusted knives. None of them looked like your pics. which to me makes it even more interesting. Clean it up and you might have an "ole" treasure. Just my thoughts.