Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Help me decide...

Dang

I own a Garrett Atpro and a omega 8000 v4. Both have two coils to hunt with. I barly used either one yet. I hardly ever get out any more to hunt and when I do it's just at a local park or school...and maybe for a few hrs at the most
I was hoping to get back to detecting like I use to but life just won't cooperate sometimes. So what do I need two detectors for? I dont i guess. Outside of water proof both seem to perfor better. So which one should i get rid of. The omega or the Pro?

That's easy----Adios AT Pro!
Dang said:
I own a Garrett Atpro and a omega 8000 v4. Both have two coils to hunt with. I barly used either one yet. I hardly ever get out any more to hunt and when I do it's just at a local park or school...and maybe for a few hrs at the most
I was hoping to get back to detecting like I use to but life just won't cooperate sometimes. So what do I need two detectors for? I dont i guess. Outside of water proof both seem to perfor better. So which one should i get rid of. The omega or the Pro?

Keep the one you like best...... The one you click with is going to keep you "HAPPY". Comfort in swinging is a big factor too.

PS: I like the cartoon...

Sell them both on Finds Classified, or ebay-and pick up a (new) used unit.
A newer detector seems to inspire confidence and might have you going out more often and reclaiming your enthusiasm.
You have the new :minelab: Equinox coming out also-it offers a lot for the cost. :biggrin:
Also enter the contest for the free Nokta Impact in Announcements...you just never know.:thumbup:

Ha ha! That's why I' m mentally unstable at 71! For most of my sites I have picked thru, I love the simple Compadre. BUT, some sites I need the Ace 250 w/sniper for trashy/tight spots. HOWEVER, if it came down to just one, the MX 5 is the most fantastic choice for ALL conditions.:wacko:. Does medical cover rest homes for us??:buds:

make sure the rest homes provides shuttling you around to places you want to go.
We oldsters are notoriously tight and don't drop much, so your finds will be sparse, and zincs are no fun.:unsure:
Traveling to find 'vintage' coins is a must.:clap:

Well if it’s not a financial burden. I’d keep both! I don’t know the Omega. Though from what I’ve read, it has some nice and interesting features. The AT Pro I’ve used a few years now. On coins it’s very good. And with the 5x8 coil. It’s impressive at finding targets close to iron. I own seven detectors, 2 for gold and the others are what I call universal machines. Each having it’s own best hunting abilities. The reason I say keep both. The different and unique abilities of each almost warrants keeping both. I hunt many old sites dating back to the early mid 1800’s. Iron infested, aluminum and trash infested and very deep soil turned over sites. The different machines having their own different best abilities allows me to hunt the variety of different and unique sites. I’m presently looking at the Equinox. In hopes it can penetrate the Iron saturated beach I’v been trying to beat for years. It’s next to one of the first shipping ports on Lake Erie. It’s had a great deal of iron ore and other minerals lost into the waters while off loading. I’ve even panned the sands there trying to figure out its secrets. The best way to describe the conditions at this location . Take roughly 60 tons of iron filings , mix them in with the roughly 5 acres of beach sand . Wait 80 yrs, then go detecting. Not counting the normal beach trash,which others and myself have been cleaning up for years. The best I’ve been able to get is 3-5 inch’s on quarters. There has been a good deal of silver pulled from that site, though only as it’s thrown up onto the shore and not had time to sink in to deep. The best I’ve Ever done there was after a freak nor’easter made a 2ft deep cut about 10 ft in. Found 24 quarters an some clad. My Explorer will not do any better. The Equinox just may have what it takes, I’m hoping anyway. So there’s my 3 sense.

Consider a PI: a PI is so different from a VLF they are hard to compare.
Whites TDI handles the worst ground, and because of the controls ability to set it up--can handle iron.
It can knock out iron and still see the goodies, even mixed in with iron. Ground balanced to 7-most nails are gone.
And it will determine high conductors from low.

vlad said:
Consider a PI: a PI is so different from a VLF they are hard to compare.
Whites TDI handles the worst ground, and because of the controls ability to set it up--can handle iron.
It can knock out iron and still see the goodies, even mixed in with iron. Ground balanced to 7-most nails are gone.
And it will determine high conductors from low.

To whatever extent the TDI can be made to discern iron versus conductive, (ie.: tweeking the ground balance, etc...) you will be left with nothing but the depth you could otherwise have gotten with a standard discriminator coin-machine. Ie.: kiss the fabled PI depth goodbye.

If you want the fabled depth and minerals ability that a PI affords you (ie.: to get deeper than wimpy VLF machines), then you will NOT be able to tell iron vs non-iron, and high vs low conductors. Sorry :(

I like the ATPRo light, decent depth ,disc's well I had a omega and sold it Although the omega is a good detector I liked the weather proofing the AT PRO Has. But the best choice is the one you feel most comfortable with.

Thanks for the reply Vlad. I believe I would enjoy the whites tdi. I’m going to wait for my trip to Alaska to see my lil brother for that purchase. What I’m hoping for at this point is. Either the Equinox or the Mojave will at least give me a chance at the small stuff; chains and earrings. There’s a local detectorist who works that beach everyday during the summer at 5am for years now, a ranger friend gave me the heads up on him. Except for the wash it has to be one of the cleanest beaches I’ve ever worked .

I’m hoping he left the small stuff in his wake; carrots earrings and chains. Again I’m hoping the Equinox and a Mojave may give me a shot at them. As I’m certain this guy is exclusively a ring hunter. Given there’s very few pull tabs and I find a nickel now an then. I’ll mostly be working the shore line and water this year. I’ve never really tried serious water digging. Maybe I’ll finally dig something nice there. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Vlad. TM