Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Help? Omega 8000: Shallow Depth - Normal?

Diggum

I've read several articles and seen videos that praised the Omega 8K for its depth and relic hunting abilities, so I went out and purchased one, myself.

• In AT mode (which I believe is the equivalent of all-metal), it seems to go plenty deep, but it's SUPER noisy; beyond just chatty, as it's always going off and telling what's good from bad is nigh impossible.
  • In discriminate mode, I get lousy depth and the tones aren't terribly consistent. Here's a video I made to illustrate what I'm seeing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOA34jFJfAQ

Is what you see in the video normal for this machine?

Thanks for any advice you all can give me.

Audio intensity fade is normal. If you depth estimates are accurate that's about 2" less depth than same settings and coil in air test. I would expect 8-9" on dime and 10-11" in quarter before I'd drops.

Add inch for 11" coil take an inch for 5" in air. You're gb is a little higher. I wouldn't expect more than 6-8" in ground.

Where did you purchase the O? Question like this should be directed to the seller first. What is reasonable and if you are not getting it why not? I never cared for the 10 inch concentric coil on my O8k so I used the DDs 5, 5x10 & 11 inch. Have you checked the EMI where you are using? Tried other sites where you had good performance with your F2? Do you have other MDers who can help you compare performance? Can you find another MDer to swap coils and see how their machine and yours do on the same coil, etc. All the 'greek' series, F5 and Gold Bug Pro/G2 machines are coil compatible if you can find someone to work with. There was no mention of ground balancing, are you confident that it was correct? It was a little hard to see the screen on your short video to check.
The Omega is an excellent mid range detector and a good improvement from the F2.

Okay, what kind of depth are you expecting? I can say with some certainty that if your looking for 11" on a dime with the 10" coil in at lest average ground then its not likely to happen.
One problem,
your using the built in speaker instead of a good set of headphones, this makes a big difference on the deeper targets. The Omega has a lot of "modulated audio" meaning close targets will have a strong response and the deeper or farther away from the coil they get the fainter the response, with the Omega this isn't something that is subtle.

Now, the way your air testing the coins one thing that could be happening is that the coil may be getting off center of the targets enough to possibly be dropping out of the reduced area of the detection field (the farther out from the coil the more the detection field size is reduced)

With my Omega up to this point I've only used the 11" DD coil, other than a little more problems with bottle caps the 11" is deeper and ID's better. (I have tested the 10" concentric)

ID'in at depth.
When good targets get deep the ID will get a little jumpy with most detectors, this is no exception with the Omega. Sometimes while detecting you'll get one of those faint but nice responses, its repeatable, but not on every pass of the coil, being faint! and trying to hit the high tone range is one of those targets you would do good to dig! But, if your hunting an area where the coins could be that deep then your going to need a good set of headphones.

I'm going to say that where I live the soil is at lest average,
With the Omega and the 11" DD coil and the sensitivity set to around 68-70 and the coil off the ground a couple of inches it will hit on a quarter (faint) in 8 inches of dirt!! (total 10" from the coil) and get a pretty good ID on it, but without headphones you probably couldn't hear it.

Mark

How did you ground balance your machine for the air test? I would much rather see you bury the quarter 4-6 inches in the ground, then ground balance your machine. You can raise the coil some from there. I think it would be a much better test. I admit I don't hunt with the omega, but I do hunt with the gamma with the NELS sharpshooter and have dug 7 inch dimes. I can't imagine the omega can't beat that with the 10 in concentric coil unless your in real wicked ground. jmo Cal

Thanks for the suggestions, so far.

I ground balanced the machine, and the area I used is an area where my F2 and ATP work just fine.

I have used it with headphones, but did the video without so that you could hear what I'm hearing.

As far as expected depth, if I'm only getting 6" or so in air, should I not expect less depth in the ground? That would put this machine at a very disappointingly shallow depth. My F2 has hit a quarter at 9-10 inches in the ground. I'd hope that this would do that.

I do know someone who has a couple of Omegas, and I'll contact him to see if he wouldn't mind me comparing my machine to his, before I take the step of sending it in.

Eventually, yes, I'd like to get a DD sniper coil and a DD 11". For now, this is what I have, though.

Diggum said:
Thanks for the suggestions, so far.

I ground balanced the machine, and the area I used is an area where my F2 and ATP work just fine.

I have used it with headphones, but did the video without so that you could hear what I'm hearing.

As far as expected depth, if I'm only getting 6" or so in air, should I not expect less depth in the ground? That would put this machine at a very disappointingly shallow depth. My F2 has hit a quarter at 9-10 inches in the ground. I'd hope that this would do that.

I do know someone who has a couple of Omegas, and I'll contact him to see if he wouldn't mind me comparing my machine to his, before I take the step of sending it in.

Eventually, yes, I'd like to get a DD sniper coil and a DD 11". For now, this is what I have, though.

The Omega will out perform the F2 by a fair amount!
I had an F2 it was a good detector but it was for sure a beginner unit.

In another topic we were talking about depth and I mentioned times of what I called an "anomaly" like a $75.00 unit finding an Indian Penny @ 11" its just not the norm!
In air test and getting an idea of how far out from the coil it will hit on a coin its best to lay the detector down on a table or bench with a yard stick sticking out from under it and then use your hand or a swing stick and pass the target in front of the coil, this way your not trying to use your arm and lift the whole detector and its length up in the air and just estimate the distance and maintain center over the target. (see pictures for an idea)

I have some aged coin test garden's in my yard and the one I go to for a quick test is the 3" one and I have an 8" two coin garden. Now, keep in mind that eight inches in the ground means that with any grass and scrubbing the ground with the coil the targets are still at lest 9" below the coil, maybe even 10" counting for 2" of air (grass).
With the Omega and the sensitivity set to 70 and the ground balance set to 54 to 56 (that's where it normally balances out at in my WV soil) and using the 11" DD coil It will hit with a faint response and ID darn good my 8" garden, with the 3" garden I can hold over an easy 3" to 4" and get good strong responses.
In another location in our area with the same ground balance number and the same setup but I was in a city park, I got this faint but nice high tone hit that was to consistent to pass up and I retrieved an 1896 Barbour quarter that was nearing 9" (of dirt) the grass was pretty thick and a little tall (not weeds or anything) so I would safely say that the Quarter was at lest 11" from the coil. That Quarter was laying in an old gravel driveway bed and was down in the gravel maybe an inch or so, I almost gave up on it because I was having so much trouble digging and locating it. The F2 would have never hit on that target in that area.
The Omega will cruise around the 6" to 7" range in my area GOOD! or to say with ease, keep in mine that my reference to depth is in the Dirt! and its a rarity for me to be hunting over bare ground so the actually distance from the coil is always more.
There is areas where older coins are deeper than they are around here and in those areas the Omega may not be the best choice. Many and maybe even most places the deep good stuff on average is not more than 6" in the dirt, or to say most of the good coin finds are 6" or less in the dirt!

I aged my one main search area by knowing the depth range of the beaver tail beverage pull tabs, I know that these started in production in 1965 and were in use until 1975, they were then replaced with the square tabs. So, in our local city park the beaver tails run 3.5" to 5" on average, large tree roots and excavation in certain area will change things of course.
Our park has millions of these "Pull & Toss Tabs" in a 10 year bed in that depth range, so I know that for the most part the silver coinage is no less on average below 5" and that's the later stuff. That means that the fresh drops of the 1930's is going to be well below that, hence the worn 1896 quarter at near the 9" range.
I said all that to say that when I shop for detectors I knew what the lest depth range (in the dirt) that I needed it to do, I set up my test gardens for the ranges I needed, (letting them age is the problem). When I tested the Omega it made the grade, My 1266 made the grade, My Tejon made the grade, My Coinstrike Made the grade (this was the first one that really made it) and I'm still testing the Fisher 1270.

In the normal places I hunt I know what the ground balance number value is so when I'm hunting those areas I just manually scroll to that number 54-56 and then just keep a check on the ground tracking graft for soil changes and manually adjust if needed.

Unless your soil is really bad, or to say somewhere around average then the Omega should give you good depth! and you stating that you felt the F2 had a good depth range then the Omega will or should exceed the performance of an F2, the Omega is an up line model by a few models. The Omega is a closer match to the F5.

In the end its possible you have a defective detector, but usually that shows up in the form of something just not working like a control or really no depth at all, no control over false signals. In all the post I've seen about the Omega the one complaint that stands out is problems with EMI not depth, but I've never had any more or less problems with that than I did with my F2. You knowing someone that also has an Omega then I would for sure setup a meet sometime and do some comparisons that should tell the story for sure.

Mark

Thanks so much for the help!

Yes, considering that this should be quite an upgrade from the F2, I was surprised at its lackluster performance.

I've contacted a local hobbyist who said he'd be willing to help me by comparing our units side by side.

I'll update in a couple/few weeks, once I've determined what I will do.

I agree with the help you've been getting. The Omega uses modulated audio and the deeper targets won't be as pronounced. I would invest in a good set of headphones that are rated 32 ohms or higher. Or you could try looking for an audio amplifier. I think a gent on feebay makes them.
When sweeping your concentric coil over the coins...you have to be directly over the center for the loudest audio hit. It also helps to sweep your coil a little faster than what I observed in your video.
I assume your new Omega is a Version 4? I know of a guy who bought one recently and it is that version. I think it's supposed to handle EMI better.

So it's confirmed. My omega is only getting about 2/3 of the depth it should be getting. It will go in for service.

Thanks, all!

Here's what I got for depths on various coils with Omega and G2 with repeatable ID. I didn't test all metal but add an inch for Omega and add 3" for G2

the 49 sens Omega test with 11" was to compare high emi setting to no emi G2.

That Sharpshooter is one hot little due on the Omega!

Get rid of the coil cover as mud and water and soil comes in between the coil and the cover causing the signal to bounce and you will have very little depth.
TT