Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

help please

Raoul

Hi all, i have just bought myself the Garmin etrex and have been looking at google earth at my home town, i spotted my house and the coordinance were.
32.05.25.45 S and 115.49.54.29E But the last number will not fit in the space provided.
32.05.25.4 S 115.49.54,2 E
I tried it out with the last number in both east and north missing and it puts me about half mile away from home.
What am i doing wrong, thanks for any help Raoul :shrug:

The position shown by Google Earth is in:
degrees minutes seconds.decimal seconds
The default position format in eTrex is in:
degrees minutes.decimal minutes

To use eTrex with Google co-ordinates, change receivers position format to match.
It's somewhere in Menu / Setup / Units / Position Format
Set it to: hddd mm ss.s

Thanks Andrew changed the settings, but still missing the last digit and its now almost a mile from where its supposed to be. Thanks for trying. Cheers Raoul

The last digit is not really significant. If (say) google shows .99 (last two digits) of a second and you would enter .9 instead, the whole difference would be 2 yards or so.
I forgot to mention, make sure that the datum in the receiver is set to WGS84 datum. That's the one used by Google Earth for the images.
Either you are entering the data incorrectly or Google Earth is off by a mile.

:clapping: Andrew thanking you heaps that wgs84 did the trick, also thanks for explaining about the last digit that had me confused.
I'm sitting in front of the computer with Google earth locked in on my house roof and punched in the coordinates and the gps tells me i'm arriving at my destination and its only 2 metres off, in other words spot on.
Thanks again, realy appreciated. Raoul
:cheekkiss:

Well, let it be a lesson to everybody.

Using correct DATUM is IMPORTANT.

Hmm, I wonder what datum you had the unit set for that you got half a mile diff?
If it was NAD27, I'd expect the diff to be under 200 meters.