Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Help require regarding a lens for close up work ??

Mega

Would like some help please folks from the more experienced and learned photographers regarding close up shots with my Nikon D3300 camera.

Back earlier in the year i bought a new Nikon D3300 camera but at the time i was looking at more longer distance shots,so decided on a Nikon 55-200mm rather than the standard lens and the idea was also to possibly use a larger lens from my old 35mm setup with a adapter,although the Nikon lens works superbly with all the Auto features that the camera has,i had recently been trying to take some close up pictures of some orchids which are in flower at the moment.

Since trying to take these pictures i am starting to see the restrictions of not being able to get close enough to get the maximum beauty of these orchid plants,so my question is without a massive amount of expense,do i go for a smaller Nikon lens say 35-40mm size,which can be bought new pretty cheaply but i also dont want too go down the route of a fisheye lens either.So do i just buy a lens that was made for that specific job or could one of these aftermarket screw on adapters do the job just as good ??

Most of my shots will be with the 55-200mm lens with say just the occasional shot of flowers etc but not ultra fine macro shots,the telophoto lens is very good but i have found the limitations of taking close up shots,wish i had bought the stock lens as well as the tele lens as well,but we live and learn.I do have a as new 50mm lens from my old 35mm camera and also the adapter to mount the lens,as yet not tried that on the Nikon,would that be a possible option or just scrap the idea.

Many thanks,any help or suggestions would be most welcome.

Mega,
What Nikon film camera and lens do you have ???
Also Nikon makes a cheap kit lens, 18 to 55, plastic lens.
I have used the 18 to 55 lens with a +4 filter on my D 3100.
I don't know if you could use a +4 filter on your 55 to 200 lens...

Back in my film days, I used a Nikon F 3 with the 55mm Macro lens.
I have some old Nikon lens and they will fit my Nikon DX camera's..
The thing about using Nikon film lens are,,, the old film lens when used on a Nikon DX camera like yours
because of the crop factor,, like if you use a 50 mm film lens on your D 3100,,it becomes a 75mm lens..
50 mm times 1.5 crop factor = 75mm...And say the F stop is 1.4,, then with the crop factor of 1.5,, the F stop
becomes 1.4 X 1.5 = 2.1....

If you buy lens for your D 3100,, stay with the DX lens,, if you buy a FX Nikon lens,,, it was made for a Nikon full frame camera,
like a D 610 camera...And then the crop factor comes into play...

I don't think you will need an adaptor to use the old Nikon film lens, unless they are like screw mount, then I am not sure or lens from the old Nikon Pronea-s af camera.
The lens goes into the body to far,, and gets in the way of the Mirror....See pictures..

Hope this helps some, I am not the best at explaining things.
BJ

@BJ in Okla.,many thanks for your indepth help,its been a massive help i can assure you,have been looking on the net for some suggestion and Nikon do a 35mm DX lens that will do exactly what i am looking for,so will be ordering a new one tomorrow,rather than use old lens or make do,its better to have the proper gear and not horrendously expensive for a new lens either.

The new 35mm lens could become my every day use lens and the larger one for longer distance work.

I have been thinking about getting a 35 mm prime lens,,, I have several Nikon Zoom lens that start out and 18 mm,
but a 18 to 200 lens at 35mm, I don't think will be as good of a picture as a 35mm prime lens...
Good luck with your new 35mm lens..
BJ

Check your lenses specs for how close you can focus down to.
If you have a zoom lens, zoom it to full zoom. Focus to min., set to manual focus, then bring your lens closer to the subject and see how close you can get and still have it in focus.
I can do that with my kit zoom lens, sort of turns it into a macro lens. You will need to close the aperture to keep more depth of field.

Get a Macro Flat Field Lens. Not sure what Nikon has as I am a Canon Man. Worked in a commercial studio for 10 years. No weddings or baby photos. All was for Ad Agencies or companies like Coke and John Portman Architect.