Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

HELP Rons Meter Setup with Probe & Box:confused::confused:

Donny nj

Hi everyone .....I ordered a Rons meter and should have it this fri or sat......here is a pic of my detector rig.......now can anyone give me some advice or diagram on how
I have to hook the wires up to the meter/probe/box... if I put the meter about 8" in front of the handgrip shown in the picture ? will the meter wires be long enough?...or... any pre help is very appreciated..

Thank you all

:minelab:

Been a while since I used the Sunray probe on my Explorers but I think it'd go like this. Coil plugs into the probe. Probe's coil cable plugs into the short coil cable that comes with Ron's meter. Other end of short coil cable that comes with Ron's meter plugs into control box. The thin cable coming from the short coil cable that comes with Ron's meter then plugs into the meter.

The meter's thin wire that plugs into it has enough length to mount it down the shaft, but you can also easily buy an extension to plug into it from Radio Shack for things like hip or chest mounting the control box and such. Ron shipped me an extension with mine but I don't know if he ships it with every meter?

Critter Hunter thank you for the explaination,... I will follow that detail instruction when it arrives and set it up.......any difficulties I will ask for more help I do appreciate your reply..:thumbup:

HH

critterhunter I have tried to hook up the meter as per your intructions but it just doesn't work am I doing someting wrong?
does anyone have the Sov GT with a sunray S1 probe and Ron's Meter hooked up that can tell me how to hook it up correctly so the meter reads as it should?

Hi Donny,
With Ron's meter it should come with a shorter cable that has a extra pigtail on it, right. This will connect to the GT control box, now on the other end the cable that come out of the S-1 Probe control box will connect to it and the coil cable will connect to the probe switching box. Now with the meter there should be a smaller wire that will plug into the meter on the front and the other end will plug into the pigtail of the short cable that is at the control box. Now turn on the meter as mine has a toggle switch on the back of it as it is powered by a 9 volt battery, next turn on your GT and check the meter for calibration with a new quarter or dime as it should read 179-180 and you are ready to go.
Most S-1 probe control box has a short cable so it has to be close to the GT control box unless you can find a extension cable and maybe Ralph at Sun Ray can make you one.
On the Sun Ray meter it was easier to do as the meter sat on top of the S-1 control box and the short cable from the switching box went to the meter and the meter had a longer cable to run to the control box for those that hip mount. Ron's meter is a great meter and very reasonable too, but gets the voltage signal from the pigtail on the short cable that runs between the GT control box and the S-1 switching box. If you were not using a S-1 probe it would be must easier to do as the coil cable would run right to the short cable with the pigtail on it and the small wire that Ron send with it that is longer would connect to the pigtail and then to the meter.

I hope I didn't confuse you more the way I explained it.

Rick

Rick by golly you are DA man!!!!:thumbup: it seems to be working correctly now as per your instruction.....I Like that the meter comes calibrated 180 with NO adjustment also...as always I appreciate your help .....
I really like Ron's Meter ....but I would suggest in the future to just maybe Ron should include a detailed instruction on hooking up the meter with an S1 probe .......
might help some people like me who are meter/probe challenged lol !! :wiggle: anyway,... now to get out there and really give it a test in the field and report back......
thank you again and have a Happy Memorial Day Weekend!!

Donny y cable first to Sovereign box and then next S-1 probe to other end of y cable.Hope this helps Thanks Ron

Ron thanx for the pics .......I got it all set up now & its working 180 as it should....here is a pic of my rig....

Now I gotta get out there and find soem treasure!!:detecting::minelab: