Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Help selecting first GPS

Chuck-AZ

I would like to get a GPS I will be using it in the mountain forest and in the desert occasionally. I don't want to spend a lot of money to get started I can always upgrade later. I will need a Topo feature. perhaps recommend a good book that will help me, any help would be appreciated.Chuck

Garmin Vista H series, 60 series or any of the mapping Lowrance are the receivers that should do fine for you.
For decent display of topo maps, you will need a colour screen and plenty of map memory. Preferably a receiver that can store maps on memory cards.
Upgrading later? Maps are but, receivers are not really upgradeable. You will need to replace it to truly upgrade it so why waste good money now? IMHO, if you can not get what you really want now, hold off a bit and get a receiver that is good and you will not look back for years to come.

Which Garmin would give the best use (assuming no highway/route info is desired) ? Need to use with Forrest Department 1:100,000 map in rough mountain area.

I went with N.G. topo 24k I can load waypoints and print out the sec. I need and I'm off and running. The 1:100,000 isn't detailed enough. I go to abandon r
ranches, mines, Indian ruins this GPS and map combo was just what I was looking for, 4x4, dog, some food and I'm gone for days. Chuck P.S I went with a Garmin GPSmap60csx.

I myself have been checking out a lot of different receivers. And thanks to walmart and radio shack with the return policy and the inadequacies of the sales staff . Try and learn for 30 days is helpfull. The best one I have found is the Lowrance XOG for under 200$ at walmart. I live in an area with the National Forest area in my back yard and this is the only one with built in base maps that cover most (about 90% of the forest roads with the added feature of being able to show historic and some land cover ) . In addition there is a site associated with the Lowrance called mapselect I think where you can pull up a map ( the USA ) any way and zoom down to a particular area and see in 3 degrees including arial and topo. Almost the same as using the Google Earth program . Then choosing the particular area and ordering ( I think in download form for what looks like 5 $ per download and put on a SD card then use in the receiver). The only drawback is that I have a dial up and the mapselect goes very slow for me. A high speed connection would seem to be perfect .
All in all they seem to be best for the least . Check em out